Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing History of the Jingle Dress History of the Jingle Dress

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2003, 12:06 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
nativenunez is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
History of the Jingle Dress

What is the History of the Jingle Dress? Do you know?

I have heard the creation story of the jingle dress, but there are many different variations of the story too?!
Why do you raise your fan?
Why do we wear plumes?
When did jingle dress dance become?
How did we go from raising our hands to using fans, and wearing plumes?
Why do we use tobacco lids? Why not someting else (significance)?
I began thinking of these questions, wondering if we as jingle dress dancers know the answers to these question? I went to a dance and self expression presentation and all these other dancers all have the history, reasoning of movements, etc..and made me think of the jingle dress dancer?

Just a couple thoughts..tell me what you think? Share the knowledge...;)
nativenunez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2003, 12:06 AM   #2
I are an aunt

native_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 503.00
Savings: 1.00
I know the tobacco lid thing! well we went to that when the men and women started chewing snuff, was easir to cut out than the prevois materials, Soup cans, tin sheets, beer cans, comad cans, as for the plumes and fans, they came into play probably around the time when being indian was cool...and when did dthe dress become? well around the mid 1800's it's pretty old i tell ya! bout as old as the food in the ice box!

http://www.myspace.com/anty_tweeb
native_flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Zi-Sunka

Zi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond reputeZi-Sunka has a reputation beyond repute
The jingle dance became somewhere in the later 1800's or earlier 1900's. The origional colors of the dress were blue, yellow, green and red. I think the fan just came when someone decieded they didnt like raising hands or something, im not sure, probably trying to start a trend. Hope that helps
Zi-Sunka is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

gurskea is a jewel in the rough
THe jingle dress has been around for many many years. You have to keep in mind that over the years, things have changed when it came to the dress.
The whole things with fans and plumes, just like everything else has pretty much become a "trend."
gurskea is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links