Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing I need help putting jingles on dress I need help putting jingles on dress

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2004, 04:40 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Apachemotherof3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Unhappy I need help putting jingles on dress

Can someone help me with instructions on how to put the jingles on the dress - do I sew it one by one jingle by hand or is there a faster and easier way of putting jingles on. How many for a 6 year old? Help!
Apachemotherof3 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2004, 05:46 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

THAT_ONE_JINGLE_BABE is an unknown quantity at this point
how basic of info do you need?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:16 PM   #3
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
thread all the jingles with whatever material you use to thread them with. I only sew the top of the bias tape or trim down on the dress....then I go along and place the cones along the bottom of the bias tape or trim and keep placing them while sewing. kind of like killing two birdies with one stone, sewing down the bias tape/trim and sewing on the cones at the same time. I wouldn't know exactly how much to use for a six yr old's dress....just maybe four (or even three rows) of cones.
hope this helps you some.

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2004, 09:17 PM   #4
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Anishnabe Ikwewaak...........give your ideas to help here.

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2004, 11:24 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

Thank you

Ojibwaysweetie,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on the jingles. This answers my questions on how to complete the dress. You are a wonderful native sister. Peace.

Apachemotherof3
Old 03-09-2004, 11:54 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

sissipaha is an unknown quantity at this point
How do you mean, you sew on the cones? I've been knotting a piece of bias tape, threading through the cone, then crimping the top of the cone so the knot can't pass through the cone. Then I stick the bias tape to the dress.
sissipaha is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2004, 12:51 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

dancing_plume is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi there.. i think the easiest way to put your cones on your dress would be to sew the rows on your dress with your bias tape all knotted...that sew the entire dress up. Than put your cones on last . I hope this makes sence to you ,or if someone else that can explain it better than i can.I hope I helped some way.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:07 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

So, you're saying stuff the knotted end into the narrow end of the cone, and then crimp that so it stays on?
Old 03-11-2004, 11:22 PM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

lilfancygrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by dancing_plume
Hi there.. i think the easiest way to put your cones on your dress would be to sew the rows on your dress with your bias tape all knotted...that sew the entire dress up. Than put your cones on last . I hope this makes sence to you ,or if someone else that can explain it better than i can.I hope I helped some way.
It depends on the size of the hole at the top of the cones. If your speaking about children size cones, then it doesn't work. If your working with adult size cones, then maybe.

This method does not work for me. I do have small fingers, but, this is how I do it on my dress. I take 3 inches of bias tape. Knot one end of it. Slide the straight (un-knotted) side of the bias tape thru the bigger part of the cone so that it pokes thru the smaller end of the cone. Pull it through (but leave the knot in it). Take a pair of plyers and smush the smaller end flat, about 1/4 of an inch down. After you have a bunch, then go to sewing them onto the dress. Yes its a pain, but its much easier to do than your method.

Besides, who said making a jingle dress was suppost to be easy?
Old 03-11-2004, 11:52 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

Actually, this is a retread. My daughter's dress has 100 cones, and they have all tarnished so badly I have to replace them. She likes fingering things, so the ones within her reach are really blackened. This time around I sprayed the cones with that acryalic sealant, varnish kind of stuff and I hope that will help, though I'm not entirely hopeful. It seems that metal that likes to tarnish is just going to tarnish. I remember putting coat after coat of marine varnish on some new oak toilet seats, and the "brass" fittings but after a few years, they were still all corroded, the metal rotting away, and the wood splitting.

Are there some cones of better quality metals than others? These seem to have a thicker plating than the first set. Hope so. That's a lot of work to do on something that self-destructs after a few years.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:56 PM   #11
Teen Dancer

ABENEWA KWE is a glorious beacon of light
i think most cones get tarnished .. especially if ya out in the rain or mist ... so i wouldn't advise dancin in the rain .... and keep ya dress protected when it's raining or misty out.

and far as sewing on the cones ... me and my sister ... after knotting and threading the jingles ... we sew the bias tape on the dress.. well just the top part of the bias tape ... we then pin the jingles under the bias tape and sew it ... with a sewing machine then when were done we sew the dress seams together.
"When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

ABENEWA KWE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2004, 10:08 PM   #12
woohooo!! yeah!!

step_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond repute
step_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond reputestep_2_da_side has a reputation beyond repute
my sister usually knots the bias, threads the jingle then sews it onto the dress along with the covering bias. We found that crimping the jingles to secure slippage may cut thru the dress material if it's completely flattened.
step_2_da_side is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2004, 03:25 AM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

Talking THANKS FOR THE OUTPOUR OF HELP

:D Thank to everyone that replied to my cry of help. I have completed the dress - a basic design. Not too fancy but turned out super. Ooops! I forgot to ask how many cones are standard for a 6 year old? I read that someone put only 100 cones on the dress? I may have put more - if anything, it will make her little legs stronger. Again, thank you for all your support.

:)
Sponsored Links