Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing I want to make my first jingle dress but dont know where to start I want to make my first jingle dress but dont know where to start

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
shar_bud15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I want to make my first jingle dress but dont know where to start

Aanii
I'm a 21 year old ojibwe kwe, looking to make my first dress. I danced when I was younger until I was 13 years old. I want to get back into it, but I dont know where to start. I never made a jingle dress before, so I'm pretty clueless where to start. Got any pointers?
-Shar
shar_bud15 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
Teen Dancer

musicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond repute
well to make the jingle dress. you need since its your first a jingle dress pattern which you can buy for 7.50, jingles, bias tape and grow grain ribbon. i would start off plain until you get used to adding other stuff like beaded vest, etc..
if you have like yar ma to help you that would be great...its hard to make a jingle dress by yarself for the first time.
it would be best to learn how to roll your jingles...its good learning experience...stick to like redwood, silver creek just not mcphersons and dont use soup cans or canning lids i have seen jingle dancers try to use those and it never worked out...also you will need turtle wax to polish your jingles with so they dont rust...there is also another thing you can use which i forgot what it was. also its a good thing to make a underskirt to go underneath your dress. don't be afraid to ask for help there are tons of jingle dancers on this board and they can help you in any way and dont be afraid to seal your jingles. important: if you don't crimp them they will fall off the bias tape, i've learned that the hard way.
i have a links page i can give you that shows you how to roll your jingles but i strongly recommedn you learn by wathcing others first. oh yay! you can use cotton poly for material its just the thinner material you will have to double up the material..oh yay you need a zipper...and its more of your personal preference on the style of your jingle dress like if you want to add chainette fringe or designs

Last edited by musicedu77; 02-11-2007 at 03:56 PM..
musicedu77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

shar_bud15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the help! I'm on my way to crazycrow.com to see if they have any designs I can buy.
shar_bud15 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
dancinfancy

dancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
To attach the jingles cut your bias tape into pieces that are 3 inches long, then tie a knot in one end, use an awl or an ice pick to help push the bias tape thru the small hole of the jingle, after you do that take a pair of needle nose and crimp the end of the jingle this will keep the jingle from falling off.
As for the dress sew the sides up just enough to go ahead and put the sleeves on, also any designs you are going to put on needs to be done before you put the jingles on. Then you are going to take the ribbon or bias tape and start sewing it to the fabric placing about an inch apart so that they are close enough to hit each other. This takes the longest 'cause you can only do one jingle at a time. Once you get all the jingles on the front ana back of the dress you can sew up the sides. There are some postings on this site that tells you how to wash the dress but if you can't find it, you can put the dress in a pillow case and put it in the washing machine or wash it by hand in the tub, just make sure you hang dry the dress on a wooden close hanger (they're the strongest). Also make sure you wash the fabric first so if it bleeds you get alot of the dye out and you want have to worry about the dress shrinking after you make it, that you sucks. I've been making regalias for 12 yrs now, fancy, jingle, traditional, and grass, so I hope this helps you a little bit more. And like she said don't be affread to ask for help.
dancinfancy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
I would sketch how I want my dress to look then go from there.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
Missouri River makes a sewing pattern for a jingle dress. I have not used this pattern so I can't say how good it is. Craft suppliers like Crazy Crow, Noc Bay and others carry it. Check out the suppliers links on this site.

Another option would be to find a very simple regular dress pattern from the fabric store and use that as the basis for your dress. You may have to lengthen or shorten it or otherwise alter the pattern but that would be better than trying to make your own pattern from scratch.

You can buy your jingles already rolled although they are more expensive. Still, if you plan to make several dresses, it would be smart to learn to roll your own.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2007, 01:06 AM   #7
Teen Dancer

musicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey I also was going to add more...i tried to pm you (postee)
but dang computer errased everything its been acting up..
you can buy jingles/lids at http://home.att.net/~randvjingles
there really cheap at least i think..
Old 02-14-2007, 01:12 AM   #8
Teen Dancer

look through some of these threads here they have help posts that will give you advice on making puffy sleeve, type of material, nono's on copying patterns, how to take care of jingles, how to wash jingle dress, how to make designs etc...

my first jingle dress had very simple quill work embroidery done on it since i mostly do quillwork..

also you can get tips on leggings (beading) and making certain bead sets and bead work techs,how to make a fan etc...this is actually the best how to do thread you will find..i hope it helps out if you have any questions just ask away and we'll all be helpful to you as possible..
Old 02-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
powwow bum

ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,659.73
I've heard that the Missouri River pattern is hard to use. My mom still makes my dresses (I can't sew ) For the last one she just used a regular dress pattern and modified it. She said it was much easier.

http://www.mytribalspace.com/tribal/...ame_ndngirl70/
http://www.myspace.com/ndngirl70
ndngirl70 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Teen Dancer

i think it all depends on the person when it comes to whether or not its easy...i use it and i have no problems with those patterns but again thats just me....whereas my ma who doesnt even use a pattern...all she does is trace out the persons body on long paper and then make markings..also she makes measurements width of hips etcc..
Old 02-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
Teen Dancer

aww ya know its always good time to learn how to sew...your gonna wanna teach your kids to sew and so on...i leanred when i was 5 so my ma started me early and whereas my sister mary never really was the person who could sit down and learn how to sew or to cook for that matter...
Old 07-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

hickrun is an unknown quantity at this point
I am a white man and I agree that Native Americans should be able to live their traditional way of life .We are teaching our adopted daughter ( part Seminole) the ways of her nation
hickrun is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
Fancy Shawl Dancer

Kamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond repute
Kamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 368.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicedu77 View Post
Hey I also was going to add more...i tried to pm you (postee)
but dang computer errased everything its been acting up..
you can buy jingles/lids at R&V Jingles
there really cheap at least i think..
Has anyone ordered from these folks before? Curious....
Old 11-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
Jingling mommy....

cherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 451.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamama View Post
I haven't ordered from them but just wondering why you wanna know? You planning on jingling with us? *here's hoping!* We could sure use a couple more jingle dancers in our area!
cherokeemom06 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

Items Present
NCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,322.89
Quote:

I order from there all the time. I like to use the redwoods and its the cheapest place that I know of! I've always had good luck with them.
NCheyGirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #16
Fancy Shawl Dancer

Kamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond repute
Kamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeemom06 View Post
I haven't ordered from them but just wondering why you wanna know? You planning on jingling with us? *here's hoping!* We could sure use a couple more jingle dancers in our area!
Well, I was recently told that I need to have a discussion with some Elders to talk to them about some things. We are going to try to plan a trip to N.C. in February, and see how it goes. We were going to try to go this month, but, plans fell through, as our friends on the Rez. arent going to be around much till Feb., so.......... all I can say is possibly????
Old 11-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #17
Fancy Shawl Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCheyGirl22 View Post
I order from there all the time. I like to use the redwoods and its the cheapest place that I know of! I've always had good luck with them.
Cool, thanks! I was curious if they were still in business, cause there website hasnt been updated since 2006, so, I sent them an email and asked if they were still taking orders.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #18
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar_bud15 View Post
Aanii
I'm a 21 year old ojibwe kwe, looking to make my first dress. I danced when I was younger until I was 13 years old. I want to get back into it, but I dont know where to start. I never made a jingle dress before, so I'm pretty clueless where to start. Got any pointers?
-Shar
Ahnii Shar. Where are you from/living? If you were close by somewhere we can talk.

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

Items Present
NCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,322.89
Quote:
Cool, thanks! I was curious if they were still in business, cause there website hasnt been updated since 2006, so, I sent them an email and asked if they were still taking orders.
I know you can find redwoods just not from them, i'ld just google it. r n v jingles do have the best prices though. I haven't ordered from them in a while because a pow wow vendor has been selling them too me.
NCheyGirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #20
Fancy Shawl Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCheyGirl22 View Post
I know you can find redwoods just not from them, i'ld just google it. r n v jingles do have the best prices though. I haven't ordered from them in a while because a pow wow vendor has been selling them too me.
Thanks! I appreciate the info, Im hoping I'll hear back from R & V sometime soon because of there prices, if not, then I will definatly be googling the lids. Thanks a bunch.