Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By aNishKwe
  • 3 Post By wanjica_the_one
  • 4 Post By DeafElderWoman

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Initiation/Giveaway questions Initiation/Giveaway questions

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
aNishKwe has a reputation beyond reputeaNishKwe has a reputation beyond reputeaNishKwe has a reputation beyond reputeaNishKwe has a reputation beyond reputeaNishKwe has a reputation beyond reputeaNishKwe has a reputation beyond reputeaNishKwe has a reputation beyond reputeaNishKwe has a reputation beyond reputeaNishKwe has a reputation beyond reputeaNishKwe has a reputation beyond reputeaNishKwe has a reputation beyond reputeaNishKwe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,022.89
Savings: 0.00
Initiation/Giveaway questions

Aaniin

I have a few questions that ive been wondering about and am hoping some of you may be able to lend some insight into this for me.

I've been learning jingle for the last 11 months (since January). Since then, my mother passed away in May. From what I was told I am not supposed to dance in the arbor for a year, as this is my time to grieve.
Before she passed I had not started my regalia but am doing so now in prep for this year to pass.

So heres the thing. I am planning on having my initiation/giveaway at my reserve's annual summer powwow in August. But I am learning both old style AND contemporary. The regalia that I am working on is contemporary style.
Is it proper to wear a traditional jingle dress for my initiation and to dance old style for this? Or would it be ok to dance contemp and wer my contemp style dress for my initiation?

And if you are supposed to wear a traditonal dress for your initiation, am I allowed to dance at other powwows in my contemporary dress before my initiation?
gilisi and DeafElderWoman like this.
aNishKwe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,410.66
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNishKwe View Post
Aaniin

I have a few questions that ive been wondering about and am hoping some of you may be able to lend some insight into this for me.

I've been learning jingle for the last 11 months (since January). Since then, my mother passed away in May. From what I was told I am not supposed to dance in the arbor for a year, as this is my time to grieve.
Before she passed I had not started my regalia but am doing so now in prep for this year to pass.

So heres the thing. I am planning on having my initiation/giveaway at my reserve's annual summer powwow in August. But I am learning both old style AND contemporary. The regalia that I am working on is contemporary style.
Is it proper to wear a traditional jingle dress for my initiation and to dance old style for this? Or would it be ok to dance contemp and wer my contemp style dress for my initiation?

And if you are supposed to wear a traditonal dress for your initiation, am I allowed to dance at other powwows in my contemporary dress before my initiation?
Why don't you just dance in between the two styles. You are making too much of a deal. Ask your people.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
Powwow Grandmother

DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,566.41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNishKwe View Post
Aaniin

I have to agree with Winjica_the_one that you need to go to your tribal women who might know about initiation as part of the ceremony. I don't know about the word "contemporary" for a regalia before your initiation.

I lost my husband of 15 years of marriage and I did not dance for more than a year or two years. It is now past 2 1/2 years since his death. I am pretty much by myself. I have my sister and nieces and nephew with me. I have never gone into initiation for a ceremony. So ask your people about it. That is the best advice. I hope you can stay and post here on Powwows.com.

DeafElderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links