Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Kwe Question? Kwe Question?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #21
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,934.98
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm
First off; thanks for those who spoke.
I learned something....
My daughter wanted to dance this way years ago. I said NO. We know nothing about it. We cannot just pick it up.
She can dress and dance several ways,(Tribes) and knows those things she should about those dresses.
She wanted to dance in that jingle dress because all her friends did, it was the thing.... Now I know a little more about it and I know I was right..
There are dances and there are "dances"...
____

Storm:

Well, this thread actually HAS made a difference. I'm with you. . . I too have learned a lot. Most importantly, these dresses HAVE MEANING to the Anishnabe people. Not just anyone should put one on whenever they feel like it.
WhoMe is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #22
Junior Dancer

ndnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 140.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaysweetie
In spite of the sadness I feel because of the way our dress has been exhibited over the years by many, it will still go on being exhibited as just a pretty dress - a category. With those dresses that are being danced with for no other reason that a hope to place at a contest powwow, it lacks the "true" meaning. It has no anishnabe spirit because I could bet nearly 100% of the time, the correct protocol and traditions have not been followed before putting it on. There (rightly) is even a proper way to put the dress on! I mean, how can it be correctly followed for it is not any other tribes' way, right? There are ceremonies to go through, there are teachings that go along with it, there are teaching what to do and what not to do (even while at powwows). We dont dance while moontime is with us. I enjoy watching "native" women dance at powwows with our dresses, it makes me proud to know my Ojibway nation are the true owners of the Jingle Dress. It just makes me a little sad to know those contest contemporary dresses lack the true spirit of healing. Then again, there still are many that do have it! So, to you Native women from other tribes who dance jingle have fun and most of all have respect :)
Mii-aweh!

I totally agree with Ojibwaysweetie. I actually prefer to think of the Jingle Dress in two different mindsets- one based on its use at contest pow-wows and one based on traditional pow-wows/uses. I think of the contest jingle dress as just a category so that when I see things that might be offensive to to me, it doesn't bother me as much. This dress was meant to be shared with other tribes and that I am ok with this mindset BECAUSE I know that there are a large number of anishinabe-ikwes that are still keeping it real. The things that bother me that I see at pow-wows are when people from other tribes start to add their personal tribal beliefs/ways and state that they are a part of the jingle dress traditions. I had a girl just ask me if you needed to be a virgin and abstain from sex in order to dance jingle....
ndnmba is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2004, 07:52 PM   #23
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnmba
I had a girl just ask me if you needed to be a virgin and abstain from sex in order to dance jingle....
I think some other user brought this up in their post.... :dontknow:
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2004, 02:47 AM   #24
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I brought up sleeping around.... but I believe there is a difference in loving someone enough to give yourself to them and sleeping with tom, dick (pardon muh pun), harry, elijah, james, fred, peter (HAHA whoops), etc. ... my momma taught me that your body is your temple... a man can lay down with more than one woman and get up a man but a woman that lays down with more than one man gets up a whore (stop trying to get mental images ya pervs lmao hehe j/k). ie. a lady needs to respect herself.... but I'm not Ojibwe so I can't answer from that aspect.... just share my own perspective ya know? :mickey2:
Old 04-06-2004, 02:48 AM   #25
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Not lookin down on anybody, just sharing how I was brought up :)
Old 04-06-2004, 04:19 PM   #26
PowWows.com Addicts

Roobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Roobz; 08-28-2007 at 04:02 AM..
Roobz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2004, 04:22 PM   #27
PowWows.com Addicts

Roobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Roobz; 08-28-2007 at 04:02 AM..
Roobz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #28
Junior Dancer

standstill is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 510.00
This is a good thread. I too have learned so much about the jingle dress since coming to this site. I can remember when it was a rarity to see jingle dress dancers here in the south but now there are more and more. I enjoy watching and hearing the music the cones make, it warms my heart. It will never be our way but we respect you native ladies that dance with good hearts....and thank you for standing up and being heard.
standstill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2004, 08:10 PM   #29
Junior Dancer

Fancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond reputeFancy Maiden has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota_winyan
But my question is this..would you be willing to share..teachings..about this if people were interested in learning?
Excatly would any of you want to teach someone who would like to know about the dress or any other dance?? I have been dancing most of my life and i am native...... however i dont look it. My mother married a german man, so i have blond hair does that automatically make me a "wannabee" just by a glance at me.
I was asked to dance jingle with a friend (it was my first time jingling), and after i stepped out of the circle an ojib elder asked me to dance for his family. So if you see a blond women dancing jingle right or wrong....... dont discrimnate her (or me for that matter) because you dont know her reason for dancing if she even has one. If she or any other dancer is doing something tell them.... dont yell. be polite.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #30
Head Dancer

Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,765.68
Re: Dress

I am aware about the ceremonial part of it; and that belongs there..what I am asking is the how do you keep a little aspect of that in the arena? It was mentioned about sobriety: and I do have sobriety and don't do drugs either. I usually dance exhibition at the bigger pws. Yes, I see those women who drink the night before and come thru ge all hung over. But who am I to say? But I guess the next pw..I will ask some of these questions..see what kind of ans. I get. This is interesting..I had another ? about the side step..where healing is sposed to take place? Would I be able to observe that? How it's done etc. or is that a no no..you know how fancy some women get during..sidestep..I was just wondering..about that..?????
Lakota_winyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2004, 01:58 PM   #31
Addy's Mommy

~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 436.00
I think anyone from any culture would be willing to share what they know with people about teachings or traditions or meanings etc. just to get rid of misconceptions etc.

I think you can still powwow and dance in contest without being any less "traditional".
and I do think, like it was mentioned before....that theres a difference between contest dancing and using the dress for the ceremonies. These are ceremonies that arent usually carried out at powwows, because thats not where the ceremonies belong. But the dress has been brought out into the powwow scene and its going to stay there and will evolve and change. I'm not crazy about the wild fancy moves but I'm not ojibwe so what do i know

Last edited by ~*~ShanLyn~*~; 04-07-2004 at 02:03 PM..
~*~ShanLyn~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2004, 02:38 PM   #32
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Any more Ojibway Ikwes out there to put your thoughts here?

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2004, 02:48 PM   #33
Junior Dancer

sarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond reputesarah_sarah_sarah has a reputation beyond repute
I think anyone should be able to wear and dance the jingle. BUT go about it the way the orgianl wearers do and don't dissrespect the dress by actions you can't take back when weaering it. You know who you are.
sarah_sarah_sarah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2004, 03:09 PM   #34
Ur No 1 RoundDanceQueen

MishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond repute
MishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
I got sumthin to say.. but i gotta go pick mah bb up! talk to you later kwe's!
"What goes around comes around. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening. Live like it's Heaven on Earth." Author-nknown
MishkomekinaakIkwe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2004, 06:01 PM   #35
Addy's Mommy

~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 436.00
ooops n/m......not ojibwe
Old 04-07-2004, 06:15 PM   #36
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Okay..i have a question...

what about the non-jib jingle dancers...the few that WERE blessed with the dress by an Ojib elder/medicine person are they not considered traditional jingle dancers cuz they aren't Ojibwe, but at the same time they were given the blessings by an Ojib Medicine person to wear this dress?? Just a question..thats all :)
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2004, 09:53 AM   #37
hidatsawmn26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
My friends tell me they have seen jingle dresses on ebay and I just saw a jingle dress kit available through Crazy Crow trading post.

What do you kwe's think about how the jingle dress is being sold and marketed?
i looked throughout crazy crow website and only found jingle dress pattersn, jingle cones and already done jingle dresses....but no kits....now i'm dead set against those who do that sell already made jingle dresses i mean it defeats the purpose of having your colors in and learning how to make your jingle dress... no i'm okay if you hire someone to make the jingle dress for you as long as you give them specifics...some ppl cant afford sewing machines so this is an alternative or dont have the time because they work all day....i think that good as long as ya know the person is legit and usually its better to have someone in the family to do it for you but sooner or later your gonna have to learn how to make your own.-becca
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2004, 10:04 AM   #38
hidatsawmn26

addition to recent comment to WHO ME:

but it also defeats the purpose of having your jingle dress done properly..meaning fasting,swet, and blessing of your jingle dress...sooner or later thats gonna have to be done or ya can get yar jingle dress taken away from ya..a jingle dress is something not to be toyed with... its a gift given to ya because yar given the right to wear that dress...i mean ya can't go ahead and purchase the jingle dress off crazy crow and say okay now i want to be a jingle dancer because i think its kewl...thats not how it's meant for.. -becca
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2004, 04:03 PM   #39
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,934.98
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidatsawmn26
addition to recent comment to WHO ME:

but it also defeats the purpose of having your jingle dress done properly..meaning fasting,swet, and blessing of your jingle dress...sooner or later thats gonna have to be done or ya can get yar jingle dress taken away from ya..a jingle dress is something not to be toyed with... its a gift given to ya because yar given the right to wear that dress . . .-becca
__

hidatsaW:

I think many people who are reading this are going to think it is alright if they get their own people to run the sweat and bless the dress.

I wonder if this is okay if someone who is "not" Anishnabe gives someone the right to wear the jingle dress and blesses the dress. Is it?
WhoMe is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2004, 07:41 PM   #40
Junior Dancer

lovlie1 is a jewel in the rough
I am not Ojibwe by far, but I do jingle. I was gifted the dance seven years ago. Back then I did not see many jingle dancers down my way. I stopped dancing all together for a while, I am now getting back into it especially jingle Because I have faith in the dance and the dress. I have Lupus and it is hard for me to use my legs the way I used to, but I found out that now when I am in the circle dancing jingle my mind is far away from my illness and my aches and pains. I dance as if I don't have SLE! So I am blessed that an ojibwe gifted me the dance. I think as long as the girl or woman is gifted it and does it right, following all traditions, then I think it is OK. But then again I am not Ojibwe and do not have the right to say that!