Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Kwe Question? Kwe Question?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2004, 10:52 AM   #41
hidatsawmn26

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
__

hidatsaW:

I think many people who are reading this are going to think it is alright if they get their own people to run the sweat and bless the dress.

I wonder if this is okay if someone who is "not" Anishnabe gives someone the right to wear the jingle dress and blesses the dress. Is it?
well ya have to think that many nations adopted the jingle dress...i wouldn't go to an anishnabe and ask for my jingle dress to be blessed...i went to my own nation because i ain't anishnabe ..i'm hidatsa...-becca
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2004, 11:28 AM   #42
Teen Dancer

storm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
__

hidatsaW:

I think many people who are reading this are going to think it is alright if they get their own people to run the sweat and bless the dress.

I wonder if this is okay if someone who is "not" Anishnabe gives someone the right to wear the jingle dress and blesses the dress. Is it?
I cannot say anything about how this dress or the Anishnabe people pass it along..I can say how our folks sanction "anything"; whether it is sweatlodge, or cedar or whistles...Most tribes I have been around do it the same way..you cannot pass something along YOU (the individual) do not have. MY whistle, my tobacco and my sweat is a part of a long line of people passed one to the other. Part of having it is knowing who had it in the past, Folks who want something from me expect me to be able to name those who had it before me...it's legitamicy is based on who pased it to me!
So how can a non-anishnabe pass on a jingle dress...?

Last edited by storm; 04-12-2004 at 03:03 PM..
storm is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2004, 12:19 PM   #43
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,961.98
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm
So how can a non-anishnabe pass on a jingle dress...
___

Storm:

Excellent question!

Any Kwes in da' house?
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2004, 03:03 PM   #44
Head Dancer

Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,765.68
OK this brings up another question?

This maybe too contemporary but..say they are bringing a small child into the circle and that girl is a jingle dress dancer? They ask someone who may not have gone through the rites etc...to pass that on to someone? So, what do u think of that? Or those who may not be anishanabe? nor ojibway but still use the floral designs??? I see these at pow wows and was wondering..also I have noticed the trend to be this year the side ways laying of jingle cones..like lopsided?
Lakota_winyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2004, 03:17 PM   #45
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota_winyan
This maybe too contemporary but..say they are bringing a small child into the circle and that girl is a jingle dress dancer? They ask someone who may not have gone through the rites etc...to pass that on to someone? So, what do u think of that? Or those who may not be anishanabe? nor ojibway but still use the floral designs??? I see these at pow wows and was wondering..also I have noticed the trend to be this year the side ways laying of jingle cones..like lopsided?
____

LakotaW:

Maybe I can offer some advice.

I recently asked one of my Anishnabe friends, who is mentioned in one of these posts, how to bring in a young relative of mine into the dance arena as a jingle dress dancer. . .

Her advice was to have her pray about it and then to arrange to bring her up to one of the traditional powwows in Minnesota or Ontario (she gave me a few to choose from).

My relative is only 3 years old and just learning how to pray and understand that there is a "higher power." Knowing this, I have decided to let her mature a couple of more seasons before we seriously pursue a jingle dress for her.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:12 PM   #46
Tiny Tot Dancer

lilfancygrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota_winyan
I see these at pow wows and was wondering..also I have noticed the trend to be this year the side ways laying of jingle cones..like lopsided?

Ya'll better pray that you don't get me for a judge because I do not like that look!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:03 AM   #47
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
___

Storm:

Excellent question!

Any Kwes in da' house?
The question was "how can a non-anishnabe pass on a jingle dress?"

I have noooooooooooo idea!

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2004, 10:24 AM   #48
Shuut uup..are ya serious

Azhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond repute
Azhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond reputeAzhe'ni has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

What do ya mean lopsided? I couldn't see how a non native can give a native anything like that, that dress wasn't from there people.
Azhe'ni is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2004, 12:50 PM   #49
is actually posting!

*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute
I think she's talking about the dresses that have the cones running diagonal, or whatever, but I think they look good. I would never place a dancer on their dress, I look for more of the style and consistency. Candi's got a dress with those kind of rows, I think it looks pretty good myself.
*Kwe_Zee* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2004, 02:43 PM   #50
Junior Dancer

ndnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 140.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kwe_Zee*
I think she's talking about the dresses that have the cones running diagonal, or whatever, but I think they look good. I would never place a dancer on their dress, I look for more of the style and consistency. Candi's got a dress with those kind of rows, I think it looks pretty good myself.

I totally agree with Kwe_zee. I like the way that they look and the only time that I would think about deducting from a dancer would be when they have one of dresses that have so few jingles on them that they are hardly recognizable as jingle dresses. I remember back in the 70's and early 80's, the "diagonal" dresses were popular and I have seen some pics of old style dresses that were done that way (without all the applique, of course).
ndnmba is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2004, 02:49 PM   #51
Junior Dancer

ndnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 140.00
[QUOTE=WhoMe]____

LakotaW:

I recently asked one of my Anishnabe friends, who is mentioned in one of these posts, how to bring in a young relative of mine into the dance arena as a jingle dress dancer. . .

Her advice was to have her pray about it and then to arrange to bring her up to one of the traditional powwows in Minnesota or Ontario (she gave me a few to choose from).

That is the same thing that I tell people when they ask me about bringing dancers out in jingle.:)
ndnmba is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2004, 08:32 PM   #52
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=ndnmba]
Quote:
____

LakotaW:

That is the same thing that I tell people when they ask me about bringing dancers out in jingle.:)
Good advice mba.

Old 04-22-2004, 03:06 PM   #53
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
If someone comes out with something "totally off the wall" this powwow season in jingle dress dancing or the dress itself (perhaps at the Gathering), do you think an Anishnabe has the right to correct them?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:09 PM   #54
PowWows.com Addicts

Absolutely. And I've seen it happen. There are jingledress societies in which Ogitchida Ikwes play an important role, and they certainly have that right to correct another jingle dress dancer if like you mention "something off the wall" is happening.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:34 PM   #55
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaysweetie
Absolutely. And I've seen it happen. There are jingledress societies in which Ogitchida Ikwes play an important role, and they certainly have that right to correct another jingle dress dancer if like you mention "something off the wall" is happening.
__

Ojibsw:

Will members of the Ogitchida Ikwes correct someone when they are not in their home territory or traditional dances?

What about just an Anishinabe Kwe who sees something that shouldn't be done? Has anyone ever seen someone who wasn't Anishinabe being corrected by someone who was an Anishinabe jingle dress dancer.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:35 PM   #56
PowWows.com Addicts

whome, yes as far as I know Ogitchida Ikwes will correct someone no matter where they are. They have that right to do so.
My mom has talked to some young girls who were out of line, they didn't like it but nevertheless my mother did tell them some things, furthermore she made an announcement on the microphone regarding that matter. My mother is not Ogitchida Ikwe, but she is an elder and her daughters dance jingle. As for a non-Anishnabe woman dancing jingle, I was at a powwow and this elderly woman requested a healing song/dance by the jingle dresses, she knew there was a white woman dancing jingle, so she gave out tobacco to who she wanted to dance this dance. The white woman was not given tobacco.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:43 AM   #57
hidatsawmn26

did she knew fer sure that the woman was white? i mean she couldve been native by blood but look more white than native and still went throught eh proper procedures in becoming a jingle dancer....therefor she is a jingle dancer and has the right to dance jingle..-becca
Old 05-03-2004, 10:46 AM   #58
PowWows.com Addicts

My post said she was a white woman. And that is exactly what she was.

Old 05-03-2004, 11:09 AM   #59
hidatsawmn26

oh okay i just wasnt sure what was meant by that...thats why i asked.. :) -becca
Old 05-04-2004, 08:16 PM   #60
Junior Dancer

beefy_cheefy is an unknown quantity at this point
im not ojib, or even from the area, but I had and elder who was an ojib elder ask me to dance for her...now was that wrong for me to accept, do you think it made others mad??? just wondering???
beefy_cheefy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links