Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Kwe Question? Kwe Question?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 07:17 PM   #81
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I don't think there is one place that can be agreed on. I believe both are true. Who is to know GitcheManidoo gave our people both origins with a bit of a difference for a reason. :) I truly respect both.

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2004, 11:42 AM   #82
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,589.67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaysweetie
I don't think there is one place that can be agreed on. I believe both are true. Who is to know GitcheManidoo gave our people both origins with a bit of a difference for a reason. :) I truly respect both.
__

From the information that I have been told (by two credible sources), the Lake of the Woods Anishinabe have had the medicine dress since the 1890's. The songs that accompany the medicine dress are not the same songs used in contemporary powwows.

Did the Mille Lacs Anishinabe also have their version since this time period?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:13 PM   #83
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
__

From the information that I have been told (by two credible sources), the Lake of the Woods Anishinabe have had the medicine dress since the 1890's. The songs that accompany the medicine dress are not the same songs used in contemporary powwows.

Did the Mille Lacs Anishinabe also have their version since this time period?
No, they would definitely NOT be the same songs used in contemporary powwows. That is for sure. I don't know about the Anishnabek from ML. I've been there and danced with the jinglers from there and surrounding areas. I feel the same sense of tradition and strength there as in northwestern ontario. May be a different story, but yet very much the same.

Old 07-02-2004, 04:25 PM   #84
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Smile

Thanks to all of you Anishinaabe that have given words from your hearts. I have much respect for your medicine dance and the dress. My granddaughter is very little but I will wait for her to be a lil bigger and for her to be able to understand the teachings before I let her use your dress and only then after she has received instructions and blessings by my Ojibwe sisters. I have been thinking about this a lot as my very close Ojibwe sister-friend dances this way and she has taught me a lot about the dance styles and the teachings behind the dress. Someday, if my granddaughter wants to learn this way, I will take her to the land of the people of where this beautiful dress originated so she will learn in a correct manner.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2004, 02:28 PM   #85
I are an aunt

native_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 503.00
Savings: 1.00
Heres another thought that crossed my mind...I'm guessing that the new dresses are ok. however i would reccomend to the other dancers that keep in mind when you wear your dress not only is everyone watching there is the creator of the dress who is watching. he watches those who take care of his gift, and how they take care of themsleves. as a jingle dress dancer its a requierment that your be respectful to yourself and others. no gossiping, or hurtful feelings towards another being, laughter is a must! hee hee hee those are some basic ones for now...

http://www.myspace.com/anty_tweeb
native_flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2004, 07:42 PM   #86
starrydesertknights

starrydesertknights is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Kwe Question...

I am fairly new to this subject... I have learned alot just from everyones response. I am just a spectator but I wanted my children to learn to dance. However, You all gave me allot to consider... I'm apache and our ways are totally different from all these other tribes at these powwows. I still want my kids to learn... who should i go to and what should I say to get them started. Not jingle, my daughter is much too young for that but I'm sure we can't just pick up what we like and proceed without any knowledge, right? I'm learning allot from this site, it's great.
starrydesertknights is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2004, 04:42 PM   #87
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,589.67
SDesert:

Thank you for asking.

I think the purpose of this thread is finally showing!

First, there are many non-Anishinabe women who have a strong desire to dance in a jingle dress or have their daughters dance in one.

It has been established that only Anishinabe women should be consulted when jingle dance questions arise.

It IS their dance and Anishinabe Kwe have strong family and tribal traditions that give them the right to wear these powerful dresses.

This makes them extremely proud to wear something that their people originated. At the same time I can see how they can be defensive about the different directions and opinions of how non-Anishinabe women interpret THEIR dress.

Bottom line: Consideration.

This dance and it's dress are still used in ceremony. No tribe wants their ceremonial dances and clothing reinterpreted by others.

It's just NOT the Indian way.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:25 PM   #88
Senior Dancer

millsdrumming is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 334.80
Can I say I have to respect all of the Ojib ladies here and those that can't get here. You have love and power in your words. My daughter is a Jingle dancer and she is proud of it with great respect. I have not a drop of Ojibwe within me but I had anough respect for these people to go to Monatou Rapids and speack to a elder up there that sat and talked with my daughter and gave her her story of the dress. She takes great pride in it. Wado for listening to these words.

Dohi
millsdrumming is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2004, 10:03 AM   #89
PowWows.com Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsdrumming
Can I say I have to respect all of the Ojib ladies here and those that can't get here. You have love and power in your words. My daughter is a Jingle dancer and she is proud of it with great respect. I have not a drop of Ojibwe within me but I had anough respect for these people to go to Monatou Rapids and speack to a elder up there that sat and talked with my daughter and gave her her story of the dress. She takes great pride in it. Wado for listening to these words.

Dohi
Thats cool! The area of ManitouRapids has lots of jingle dress grandmas there who carry the knowledge about our dress. I'm happy to hear you took the time to go there and learn. :)

Old 09-20-2004, 06:19 PM   #90
Head Dancer

Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,765.68
re: story

Hmmmmmmmmm, I have been meaning to ask..this ? so if say a tourist were to ask what the cones rep. and ask about the dress, do we as non ojib/anishnabe tell them the story or do we just refer them on to those who know the origins?
Lakota_winyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2004, 08:27 PM   #91
A Woman that <3s to BEAD!

snagz no more is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 174.40
Savings: 26.53
Smile

Last edited by snagz no more; 09-09-2011 at 09:07 PM..
snagz no more is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2004, 01:12 AM   #92
PowWows.com Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagz no more
Originally Posted By: ojibwaysweetie
who told you that?

Another woman from another tribe other than the Ojibways, (the rightful owners of our jingle dress) can dance with it anytime, anywhere, we cannot stop that no matter how any one of us Anishnabe women feel. I also feel they can even go through any procedure(s) they want, but the dress lacks the spirit of that healing because we have certain things we have to do first and certain dreams Anishnabe women have before making their dress...those are Ojibway teachings and traditions from the time our jingle dress was given to us by the Creator. And no, I will not say here what they are...... No other tribe will "really" know the proper procedures because simply and quite logically they are not Anishnabe. One of my Ojib sisters said somewhere here that more women atta go to Northern Canada and Minnesota rezzes to see our elder jingle dress women dance and how they carry themselves. Only then you will see the true old style jingle. Today, many tribes dance with our dress all over Canada and the US....and it really makes me very proud to know my people are the sole/soul owners......

This is a really good subject. I no most girls from other tribes that compete in Jingle aren't Ojibway and haven't been given the proper procedures. But IT doesn't mean they don't respect the dress and the dance. As one of them I just want people to no that...I respect the dance and never miss behave well im in the dress. I show respect to my elders and fellow natives. And competing in contempary jingle doesn't mean I dance Just to place, I dance for my family...for my relatives that can not dance.
Yep, it is a good topic. *L*

Old 10-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #93
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidatsawmn26
did she knew fer sure that the woman was white? i mean she couldve been native by blood but look more white than native and still went throught eh proper procedures in becoming a jingle dancer....therefor she is a jingle dancer and has the right to dance jingle..-becca

I totally agree with all of you here oncerning the jingle dress and I myself have tried to ask questions about how to about the ceremonies and the rituals that revolve around the dress but I have yet to get an answer, But Im not giving up because my 11 year old really wants to dance this style and I have spoken to her about the importance of the dress and her commitment to the dress once she begins.

But I would really Be careful with whom you call white... alot of people from our tribe look white thru and thru blue eyes blond hair fair fair skin but they true native. So we cannot merely look at someone because of thier skin color and say they are white unless we pull out thier family history and prove it. I know I know theres some sensitivity about how much % of native blood one has that truly makes them Native but all I am saying is just to be careful in your judgement genetics work in very strange ways and well ya JUST never know who is what ... I am not sayin you are wrong in saying she is totally white maybe you have the proof to back it up but what i am saying is you come down to my area and youll see alot of white NdN running around!! My daughter being one of them, Green eyes, fair skin and strawberry blonde hair and when she is asked She will proudly exclaim : "I am a first nations !!!" and what it comes down to is she doesnt care who beleives her as long as she knows in her heart. Judgement can cause alot of tensions, tensions which i think DO not belong in the arena. Please do not take this post the wrong way. but i do hear alot of negativity passed on about "WHITE" folk here on PWs.com and people who may look white being told basically they are not true Native. I think that kind of judgement is wrong. i feel sad fer those Natives that look white and want so much to be apart of thier culture but are not accepted because they LOOK too white so they get the raw end of the deal;ousted by both thier Native heritage and the white culture.
AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2004, 03:52 AM   #94
~*Coastal Steps*~

this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFeather
I totally agree with all of you here oncerning the jingle dress and I myself have tried to ask questions about how to about the ceremonies and the rituals that revolve around the dress but I have yet to get an answer, But Im not giving up because my 11 year old really wants to dance this style and I have spoken to her about the importance of the dress and her commitment to the dress once she begins.

But I would really Be careful with whom you call white... alot of people from our tribe look white thru and thru blue eyes blond hair fair fair skin but they true native. So we cannot merely look at someone because of thier skin color and say they are white unless we pull out thier family history and prove it. I know I know theres some sensitivity about how much % of native blood one has that truly makes them Native but all I am saying is just to be careful in your judgement genetics work in very strange ways and well ya JUST never know who is what ... I am not sayin you are wrong in saying she is totally white maybe you have the proof to back it up but what i am saying is you come down to my area and youll see alot of white NdN running around!! My daughter being one of them, Green eyes, fair skin and strawberry blonde hair and when she is asked She will proudly exclaim : "I am a first nations !!!" and what it comes down to is she doesnt care who beleives her as long as she knows in her heart. Judgement can cause alot of tensions, tensions which i think DO not belong in the arena. Please do not take this post the wrong way. but i do hear alot of negativity passed on about "WHITE" folk here on PWs.com and people who may look white being told basically they are not true Native. I think that kind of judgement is wrong. i feel sad fer those Natives that look white and want so much to be apart of thier culture but are not accepted because they LOOK too white so they get the raw end of the deal;ousted by both thier Native heritage and the white culture.
thats so true.....on my rez thats how it is to im probably one of the daker ones and heck im light to lol...but the sad thing is that the "white looking indians" do it to. Its very sad.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:02 PM   #95
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,751.64
hand finished rice

Hehehe, this thread reminds me of a discussion i was having with an old lady from Leech Lake yesterday - we were talking about the wild rice and how most folks couldn't tell hand finished from machined. (I was buying some hand finished) She continued to talk on about how she's had some bad rice in her day, and she concluded with this comment:

"Those lakotas say they know how to cook wild rice, but they really don't know...they just can't seem to get it right."

Gawiin ezhichigeyaanzii maygai-nishnaabechigewin... aniin dash ezhichige ezhichigeyag? Ganabaj ingiw mayagi-nishnaabeg nonde-nishnaabe-awiiyad. Inenendaaman mii ezhiwebak noongom.

Amanj. Amanj igo.
sookout sh'nob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2004, 03:41 PM   #96
Head Dancer

Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
HMMMMMMM! To use lakota's is using a broad term of a huge group of people. Cuz I for one don't recall saying that...and again I think ojibs would be more in contact w/the dakota's then Lakota's...thats my 2 cents..
Old 10-20-2004, 09:55 AM   #97
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Your two cents are denied!! ;)

I see Lakota's every day (I live in Minneapolis today). Also, it is true - To this date there is no recorded instance of any Lakota person or group cooking wild rice within the exact specifications set forward by the Ojibwe and Menominee nations. While it may hurt to hear, it is true. My sincerest apologies to your feelings.

Indishpendaman weeji-bimaadiziig, anawi ingiw Lakotas gaween mino-jibwaakweyugisii 'aw maanomin.

:D
Old 10-20-2004, 08:51 PM   #98
Head Dancer

My feelings hurt over wild rice I don't think so, cuz I really don't like eating wild rice anywayz so why would that offend me. I was jus pointing out that many Lakota's would not share your view as knowing how to cook wild rice..maybe you should be more specific..in what and who Lakota said that. I didn't say you don't see them there..in mpls..either. But that is all I have to say on that.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:06 AM   #99
Senior Dancer

millsdrumming is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 334.80
ok ok put the bows back in the quiver....
I love Wild rice but still can't cook it worth a crap.. I am only Cherokee. hm i wonder if that matters.... :Jumping:
millsdrumming is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2004, 12:25 PM   #100
Boogie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsdrumming
ok ok put the bows back in the quiver....
I love Wild rice but still can't cook it worth a crap.. I am only Cherokee. hm i wonder if that matters.... :Jumping:
You bet your boots it does ;)
Sponsored Links