Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Kwe Question? Kwe Question?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #141
Singing Eagle

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wareagle is just really nice
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Red face hoka....hey...

so the jingle dress eh...... so what if there are different tribes dances, we were all one tribe as one humans together, there is so many stories to guide us but as well as bad stories. we as native people have to not have hatered in us for our own people, we must be one again and have harmoney and pease within the circle, ya..............so this is all i wanted to say for now! hoka..........
Old 03-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #142
siksika

djaaron319 is an unknown quantity at this point
Jingle Dress

Oki I am a guy and i am Siksika and Oji-Cree. Now this medicine dress is still the medicine dress at ceremonie eh. but i think once this dance became a pow wow dance the dresses used there are just jingle dress now they still have pow wow to help eh. if that person dancing as thoughs good thoughts but. ITs like chicken dance that is a Siksika Society eh. but yet now it has become a regular pow wow dance. its became intertribal eh. Now for a while i didnt like people dancing Old Style Chicken when they didnt have that right but its a pow wow dance now and i think once a dance becomes a pow wow dance an a intertribal dance it changes into just that... I mean if i want to go be a part of my Chicken Dance Society thats one thing but dancing at a pow wow is another .... this is just my thought about all the dances we dance today in the pow wow way. Pow wow is to bring us together in a intertribal way and it has done good at that.. So when other people are dance other peoples dances in pow wow i think its a good thing if they represent that dance in the right way.. Thanks for letting me speak. Niitsiisitakii kitakitakmahtsin
djaaron319 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #143
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
Savings: 1.00

hey i know some of your relitives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that was some funny chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
___

Hey millsD:

I'M decended from a Cherokee Prince!!!!! (he was a one of a kind person in the Cherokee tribe). He got together with over a 1000 Cherokee princesses!

Now I have light, bright skinned relatives all over the United States, the world and heck . . . even various other places! I know because everytime I meet one of them, they proudly let me know their great, great grandmother was a Cherokee Princess. I can always tell by their high cheek bones and mean tempers.

Then I tell them, "heck, we must be related!"

WADOn', and Osiyo/Shi-o to All MY RELATIONS!

Oh and some of them even cook wild rice and jingle too! They can really "get at it" when they play the drums (Think 'bout that?!)

ROFL!!!

j/k
Old 03-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #144

Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
hey thanks for the email, sent off to my peeps on the rez, one of my aunties said this

Remember, the jingle dress is a healing dress and should be respected. That girl obviously does not know what the dance is all about.
In the dream that the maker of the dress had, there was a specific dance. I KNOW THAT WASN't IT!!!!

Quote:
PM me your e address and I'll forward it to you.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #145
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
This weekend at a big powwow...

The girls that danced backward, danced in complete circles and held their fans up the longest and used fancy dance footwork,

ALL WON?

Hmmmmm?

What do the Anishinabe Kwe think about this? Anyone?
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2006, 04:43 PM   #146

Quote:
This weekend at a big powwow...

The girls that danced backward, danced in complete circles and held their fans up the longest and used fancy dance footwork,

ALL WON?

Hmmmmm?

What do the Anishinabe Kwe think about this? Anyone?
what kind of answer are you looking for? this is getting old i think that Ojibwesweety did a very good job at answering the question over and over and that others did a good job also, including my self so what the hell are you looking for? sweety already answered this particular question if you go back and read you will find it. the vibe from you post is pretty angry it seems you really want there to be a big fight over this and because there has not been you are trying one more time to ignite something.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #147
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migiziwomen
what kind of answer are you looking for? this is getting old i think that Ojibwesweety did a very good job at answering the question over and over and that others did a good job also, including my self so what the hell are you looking for? sweety already answered this particular question if you go back and read you will find it. the vibe from you post is pretty angry it seems you really want there to be a big fight over this and because there has not been you are trying one more time to ignite something.
Migizi,

Over 2700 new members have registered since sweety's post. Most have never read it.

"Reinforcement of values should reoccur again and again."

Or perhaps you're of the opinion, it has already been addressed, let's move on?

If that's the case, oh well? If you don't care... I don't care either.

I won't plead my case. It ain't my dance.

If the women like you don't care.........

then open the flood gates!!!!

Last edited by WhoMe; 03-30-2006 at 05:30 PM..
Old 03-30-2006, 05:48 PM   #148

Quote:
Migizi,

Over 2700 new members have registered since sweety's post. Most have never read it.

"Reinforcement of values should reoccur again and again."

Or perhaps you're of the opinion, it has already been addressed, let's move on?

If that's the case, oh well? If you don't care... I don't care either.

I won't plead my case. It ain't my dance.

If the women like you don't care.........

then open the flood gates!!!!
lol well i do not think that at any time i said do not care and yes it has been addressed. your post did not ring of someone trying to reinfoce values it stunk of someone trying to instigate an arguement. i am not sure what you mean by women like me again that is pretty attacking(lol is that even good grammer) oh well like i said it is our dance given to us by the creator we lovingly share it with other nations, but once another nation uses it, it is no longer a medicane dress, it can't be. it is a competition dance and my feelings on who wins at that point is mute, you have non ojibwe judgeing non ojibwe dancers it really boggles my mind. i have enjoyed watching others do the dance there are some that are pretty good some are damned good but they are not and let me make myself clear they are not true Jingle Dancers.
if you bring this up in the spirit of education then that is great but the vibe that flows from your words do not say that. other then that i have enjoyed many of your posts this just happens to not be one of them. peace
Old 03-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #149
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
this just happens to not be one of them. peace

Nada problemo.

I have never pleased EVERYBODY with my posts.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #150
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
your post did not ring of someone trying to reinfoce values it stunk of someone trying to instigate an arguement. i am not sure what you mean by women like me again that is pretty attacking(lol is that even good grammer) ...

My original post was no different:

"What do you think about other tribes doing your dance?

Since this is your dance, do you think other tribes have the right to do this dance?

Many women have simply decided to do this dance without proper permission or ceremony. Do you think the Gitchi dah-kwe would approve?

Let's hear your thoughts about how much this dance has spread throughout Indian Country."

___

Did my original post stink too?

Was I instigating?

Did the results re-educate and give your tribe a forum to express theirselves?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:44 PM   #151

Quote:
My original post was no different:

"What do you think about other tribes doing your dance?

Since this is your dance, do you think other tribes have the right to do this dance?

Many women have simply decided to do this dance without proper permission or ceremony. Do you think the Gitchi dah-kwe would approve?

Let's hear your thoughts about how much this dance has spread throughout Indian Country."

___

Did my original post stink too?

Was I instigating?

Did the results re-educate and give your tribe a forum to express theirselves?
lmao no your 1st post did not stink. lol, it may have just been the words oh well like i said i have always liked reading your other post, plus if we cannot get in tiffs once in awhile then there is something wrong with our indian blood, lol. i wish i had more time but my work day is over, i will chat wit you tomarrow. and i have to take you at your word that you were not trying to instigate as you have always shown yourself as good people in the past lol maybe i was instigating. anyway like you said we cannot please everyone all the time. well some of us can but those are different skills...lol okay i really have to go
peace
Old 03-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #152
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
... anyway like you said we cannot please everyone all the time. well some of us can but those are different skills...

You're a crazy woman Migizi.

....... a crazy woman.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #153
Teen Dancer

musicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond repute
i just think that its okay for others to dance jingle as long as the know why theyre dancing jingle,the history behind (and im not talking about the history that was writtin in whispering wind magazine-the dude was almost right but not quite) and making sure they know the responsibilitites in being a jingle dancer..well another thing is if any person has been given a dream to dance they should follow that dream reguardless of what tribe theyre from...youre suppose to honor your dreams given to you not disrespect or ignore them...theres a reason for everything as my ma and grandma etc... have always told me in the past..
okay the beef with whispering wind ...its a great magazine but the author pointed out that the jingle dress doesnt carry a spiritual value...i was reading that and i was like wuzzup with that?
well im gabbing away here i have opera practice in few so i better jet..lataz
musicedu77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2006, 10:51 PM   #154
used 2b Desiree

LILfawn is an unknown quantity at this point
My tiny tot really wants to dance jingle but we are apache, she doesnt have special permission to damce this style. is it okay for tiny tots to do this? She has a southern cloth and buck, but i wanted to make her somthing fun. should i go with fancy shawl instead?
LILfawn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #155

in my opinion yes you should make a fancy shawl, they are fun also and more colorful. My daughter wanted to be jingle to but knows she has to waite if she is meant to she will. there is no way for a tot to know how to respect her dress there is to much to know and a fancy shawl is a lot of fun to make i think. this is just one shinobs opinion. if you make a shawl make sure ther are spaces for her to put her little thumbs so she does not have to hold onto it she might cramp her little hands. good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILfawn
My tiny tot really wants to dance jingle but we are apache, she doesnt have special permission to damce this style. is it okay for tiny tots to do this? She has a southern cloth and buck, but i wanted to make her somthing fun. should i go with fancy shawl instead?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:57 PM   #156
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
My daughter wanted to be jingle to but knows she has to waite ... there is no way for a tot to know how to respect her dress there is to much to know ......

Old 04-18-2006, 08:51 PM   #157
used 2b Desiree

LILfawn is an unknown quantity at this point
i have almost completed her fancy shawl dress. she is really excited about dancing in the next powwow
LILfawn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2006, 09:54 AM   #158

that is so cool, my daughter did alot of her own work on her last dress as she is 13, we really had a great time together. i love to hear when kids are excited about powwow. i am a procrastinater(sp?) i have not even talked to my uncle about colors for my son yet lol and our powwow is in august and my daughter needs a new dress this year. oh well, you know when your daughter dances she will feel all the love you put into her dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILfawn
i have almost completed her fancy shawl dress. she is really excited about dancing in the next powwow
and WHOME....right back atcha
Old 04-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #159
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
and WHOME....right back atcha

Migizi,

Somewhere in this thread is my post to this very question.

I have a young relative who wanted to jingle dress. She just turned 5.

I am close to some traditional jingle dress dancers in your rez, Wiky and Lake of the Woods.

I asked all of them for advice on this.

I have received the best collective advice from these Anishinabe Kwe. . .

It is. . .

Wait until she is old enough to pray and understand the higher powers.

When she is old enough to understand this, bring her up and she will go through ceremony and be given a jingle dress by it's owners . . . who have the right to do this.

The woman from Wiky went so far to say, "If she is the one that is honored to do this, she will be her lifelong mentor!"

Last edited by WhoMe; 04-19-2006 at 01:34 PM..
Old 04-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #160

wow that is very cool WhoMe, that is definatly the way to do it, if anyone ever asks again we should refer them to that post lol save us alot of trouble.
Quote:
Migizi,

Somewhere in this thread is my post to this very question.

I have a young relative who wanted to jingle dress. She just turned 5.

I am close to some traditional jingle dress dancers in your rez, Wiky and Lake of the Woods.

I asked all of them for advice on this.

I have received the best collective advice from these Anishinabe Kwe. . .

It is. . .

Wait until she is old enough to pray and understand the higher powers.

When she is old enough to understand this, bring her up and she will go through ceremony and given a jingle dress by it's owners . . . who have the right to do this.

The woman from Wiky went so far to say, "If she is the one that is honored to do this, she will be her lifelong mentor!"