Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing making a jingle dress making a jingle dress

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2002, 11:30 PM   #1
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
millsdrumming is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 334.80
Savings: 0.00
Question making a jingle dress

Boojoo,
Well here i go. I have gottem my pattern for my daughter's dress and I am sort of confused. Thiswill be the first time I have made adress from a pattern...well the first time making a dress period. lol
Well any ways I knowwhat the dress looks like, butin the pattern it talks about a Aprio, cape dress, and pull over... Ok What I want is the dress with the slip likeportion under neath that so when she sits down she can pull the oter part up so she dont flatten the jingles or hurt her little bottom. Can some one give me a hand here??
Oh ya I am a dad and yes I do know how to sow. I have been doing bead work like rosettes for hair pieces and rosettes for my lodge. I am the sewer of the house.

Miigwech, Wally :Hammer I am ready to work on it now!!
millsdrumming is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2002, 11:25 AM   #2
49 coordinator

hiawatha_49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Hello Mills,
Ok. I have used that Jingle dress pattern before. and this is what I can suggest. First of all the pattern includes more peices than you actually need. this way you can have a choice of what style you want. what I do is Make the "underdress" and the "skirt". I use all the same material. I put the underdress on first . then i put the skirt on top. when i sit down i just pull up my skirt and i have the underdress to cover me up. because the fabric of the underdress and skirt are the same it looks like a one peice dress. and also with two seperate peices all the weight wont be held on her shoulders and make her back hurt. I hope ive helped a little. if you have any questions about sewing or anything e-mail me at [email protected] I have made lots of dresses with and without patterns.
hiawatha_49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2002, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior Dancer

Miigwech hiawatha_49,

This helps some what. I will have to go buy the material . She has chose the colors:Pink, Yellow, and white. . as just thinking that the Cherokee rose is white...right? Wally
Old 07-27-2002, 07:48 PM   #4
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
I would not suggest making a top skirt with the jingles on it. My daughter has one and as the is dancing the weight makes the skirt come down and she has to stop and have me re tie it tighter. Her belt doesn't help with that problem either.
If your daughter is tiny I would suggest the apron or cobbler dress with a dress underneath. That way the weight will be distributed all over.
You also may want to search the archives for other great tips and suggestions.

Just my two frog skins worth! :p

And I just have to say that is so sweet for a daddy to be taking such an interest in his childs dance clothes! I really love hearing stuff like that! :clap: :Thumbs

(welcome to the board! :) )
Old 07-27-2002, 10:13 PM   #5
Senior Dancer

Miigwech Mato Winyan,
We had went to Manatou Rapids, Ontario to talk with and elder Jingle dress dancer, and she showed us a couple of dresses there while she talked with my daughter. What I remember is the dress with another dress under it that was sewen to the out side one at the waiste so she can pull it up to sit down...is that what you mean by a cobbler dress ? i will have to research this alittle more i see. lol :D
Wado for your two frog skins worth. It is always welcomed.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:49 AM   #6
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
Tried to find a good photo of the style but couldn't. I can try again after I return from my trip. Maybe some of the other ladies has a photo they can share.

I did however find a couple good links on the Cherokee Rose! :p

Cherokee Rose

Cherokee Rose

Hope this helps. :)
Old 07-28-2002, 07:38 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

BEZHIG IKWE is an unknown quantity at this point
You got the idea

Mills:

Just sew the skirt over the top of the basic dress at the waist or sew the skirt underneth the dress if you want the outside all the same. Either way will work and is proper.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:47 AM   #8
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
hmm, I didn't make a whole skirt over the dress.
I simply made a flap on the backside which you can put up to sit down then.
I used buttons and velcro at the sides to fasten the flap to the dress.

It worked for me..
:D

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!
Selina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2002, 11:54 AM   #9
Someone who's posted alot

nativewife has a reputation beyond repute
nativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm.... i'm always looking for good ideas on how to put together my daughter's dress. I didn't think about making a dress, and then sewing another skirt on top of that...

for another idea...
the first dress i made was my daughter's jingle dress... i hadn't sewn before that. with that being said, my daughter's dress is a straight t-shaped dress. I only put cones on the skirt part of the dress. (the belt seemed to help relieve some of the weight off of her shoulders)

I just made the skirt out of the same material, as hiawatha did, so it looks like all one dress. oh yeah, i had cones hanging off of the bottom of the dress part, too, so they laid upon the skirt. The skirt is about 4 or 5 inches longer than the dress, with no cones on it. This way she can be a lady about sitting down.

Now, the next dress i make may be put together differently... i still have a little time to decide... hmmm... always thinking about it, tho... :Thinking
Old 11-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

short apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativewife View Post
hmmm.... i'm always looking for good ideas on how to put together my daughter's dress. I didn't think about making a dress, and then sewing another skirt on top of that...

for another idea...
the first dress i made was my daughter's jingle dress... i hadn't sewn before that. with that being said, my daughter's dress is a straight t-shaped dress. I only put cones on the skirt part of the dress. (the belt seemed to help relieve some of the weight off of her shoulders)

I just made the skirt out of the same material, as hiawatha did, so it looks like all one dress. oh yeah, i had cones hanging off of the bottom of the dress part, too, so they laid upon the skirt. The skirt is about 4 or 5 inches longer than the dress, with no cones on it. This way she can be a lady about sitting down.

Now, the next dress i make may be put together differently... i still have a little time to decide... hmmm... always thinking about it, tho... :Thinking
i would love to see pictures of the dress.
i am making a jingle dress too. i just made one cotton dress with jingles on it. and i am making a skirt to go under the dress so i can sit down. i used the missouri river pattern very confusing until i realized i didn't need all of it. i was just wondering if this is right way of doing it. i am a tradional dancer and i don't sew much. i would really like some imput thanks.
short apache girl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
White Dove Creations

sbourlon is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 10.00
I have made about 50 jingle dresses and am a master seamtress. The best pattern is to use a women A line dress pattern with no seam at the waist. The is only a seam down both sides. The weight of the jingles will pull a seam apart at the waist. Once you applique the front you can add the jingles at that time and do the same to the back. Sew the front and back together at the shoulder seam. At this time add your sleeves and then sew up the sides from the end of the sleeve to the hem. The dress is much stronger this way.
Attached Thumbnails
sb.4.jpg  
sbourlon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2010, 02:39 AM   #12
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Gosh SBurlon, your dress is stunning!
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
goofball

Items ElephantPresent
Sunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond repute
Sunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,002.15
sbourlon
Do you use a zipper? If so, do you prefer it in the front or back of the dress?
Sunktaki is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #14
goofball

Items ElephantPresent
Sunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Gosh SBurlon, your dress is stunning!
Yes she makes so beautiful dresses...you should see some of the others she have on her website they make you drool......to bad that I am not a contemporary jingledancer
Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
I've made every style of jingle dress and in every size. I've never counted how many I've made but I think I'm around that 50 mark too. I dance that style so that explains some of it.

The cobbler apron dress is a two-piece deal good for growing children as it can accommodate a range in size. It consists of a plain t-dress worn underneath. Over this goes the second piece made of two rectangles sewn at the shoulders, a hole for the head and a tie at the waist on each side. All the jingles are attached to this overdress-apron portion. The back flap of the overdress is easy to pull up out of the way for sitting. The only drawback to this style is that some people feel that the apron panels move around too much. I have a picture of this dress but its in storage and will take me forever to find it. I'll have to Google it but the cobbler style might be on the front of the Missouri River childs jingle dress pattern envelope.

Many years ago, I made two dresses that had seams across the waist for the over skirt. I learned my lesson right quick. The weight of the jingles will rip that seam apart, as sbourlon said.

My preferred method is to make an overdress with an underskirt. The underskirt is a bit longer than the overdress since I like to decorate the underskirt hem and add a row or 2 of jingles to it. My construction method is similar to sbourlon's. I usually put a zipper in the front since its easier to wear and most people have ornaments worn in the front which cover up the zipper from view.

Use fabric that will take the weight of the jingles. So nothing flimsy. Since this is your first dress, you might want to use a medium weight cotton. Its not expensive, comes in scads of colors/patterns, is washable, and is easy to sew. You can save the fancier fabrics for the later on down the road. Good luck!
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #16
goofball

Items ElephantPresent
What is the best way construct one if the bottom is going to be a different color and fabric....am in the beginning of making one, the top will be in dark blue velveteen and bottom silver bridal satin... Should I sew the Silver bottom on top of a full length velveteen dress to make it stay put, that way the weight is on the entire dress not just the bottom, and also with dubble fabric at the bottom it makes it more sturdy when attaching the jingles? Do you use bias tape on both the inside and outside when sewing on the jingles?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #17
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
I agree with Czechy on making the overdress and underskirt. Most of the time I make the overdress just like a long shirt, and the underskirt holds most of the bottom jingles.

Suntaki, I would make the top out of your velveteen long enough to hold the first row or two of jingles. Then make the underskirt out of your satin and put the rest of the rows on it. Most bridal satin is heavy enough to support the jingles with no problem.

When attaching jingles, I string them on knotted double fold bias tape, then trim the ends so they're all the same. (lately I top stitch the fold on the bias)

Sew the top edge of ribbon on the dress (at least 1/2" or wider) for your rows of jingles, then space out your jingles, tuck the ends of the bias under the ribbon, pin in place, then sew over the bottom edge. Work on a row at a time from the top to the bottom.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #18
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, what wyo-rose said.

Sunktaki, I often make the underskirt a contrasting color. I make it like a normal long skirt with an elastic waist but if you are going to have more than two rows of jingles then a drawstring waist tie will keep it in place better. Since your overdress is velvet, you might want to make the underskirt entirely out of satin. This will be cooler to wear and the satin will allow the overdress to drape better since the satin surface is smooth and slippery. I put jingles on both the overdress and underskirt which helps with weight distribution.

For preparing the jingles, I use the narrow 1/4" double fold bias tape. I unwind the 4 yards of tape that come in one pkg and simply string on maybe 20 jingles at a time. One by one I push a cone to the other end. A knot is tied at the end of the tape and pulled into the top of the jingle cone but not quite all the way to the top. Use a needlenose pliers to crimp the top of the jingle so the knot is secured. Pull on the tape to snug the knot against the crimp. Next I lay the finished cone next to a ruler and measure off 1.25" of tape from the top of the jingle. I cut at that mark. Done. Slide the next jingle down your length of tape and continue. This method eliminates any waste of the bias tape and will get you tabs for 40 or so jingles from one pkg of tape.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Hey, that's a good idea for stringing jingles. I end up with a lot of trimmed ends that could be going to a few more jingles.

The only suggestion I have is to topstitch the whole string of bias before stringing jingles.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #20
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Here is a dress I made which has a separate pink underskirt with decorated hem.
Sponsored Links