Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Old Syle Outfits Old Syle Outfits

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
lil_powwow_honey

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
lil_powwow_honey is on a distinguished road
Credits: 250.00
Savings: 0.00
Old Syle Outfits

What do you think of the flashy outfits today? I think it would be great to see more old style outfits at pow wows. It's time we got back to the old school stuff. Bring back the old style dance and outfit. We need to remind people what the dress is all about before it's too late! I'm going to post a picture of an awesome old style Great Lakes Region jingle dress let me know what you think of it.
Attached Thumbnails
dress.jpg  
lil_powwow_honey is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Banned

Canada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond reputeCanada#1 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
That is sweet!
Canada#1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
Savings: 1.00
Soo pretty. yrs ago I saw one gal witha velvet Jingle dress on and it was beaded, could barely take my eyes off it,diddnt want to be rude ,but it was sooo unlike anything out there.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
beader and grandmother

thunderbirdwoman is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 200.00
Talking

yes, you sure have inspired me t start making them again i make jingle dresses but i think it is time for change and to restore our traditions thank yo very much
thunderbirdwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Jingling mommy....

cherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 451.00
I am going to start making myself another jingle dress soon and I was planning on doing a very simple dress as well. It's going to be a dark burgundy with a navy blue velvet collar/cape (whatever you want to call it) and the cape will have dogwoods beaded on it. I'm gonna use ivory bias tape for the jingles and a light pink for the sleeves and for a band around the bottom.

I love the old school stuff as well as the newer stuff. I think the neons get a little out there though. A little bright is ok, but I saw one that was neon green with day-glo orange and pink applique. It was bright! Leave the solid neons to fancy shawl if you ask me!
cherokeemom06 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
The picture you posted was awesome. Such beauty!

I know that I like the old style look, but for all categories, not just one or two. Like someone said, the new colors are pretty and so are the materials. But I think each style looses something when you stray too far from the original idea. Just my two cents.

My daugher dances jingle and is wanting a simple dress. Can't wait to get started on it.
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
gramma de

gramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond repute
That is a beautiful dress, When I danced as a young girl,I always loved the way the dresses sounded. I didn't jingle dance I just admired them. When I was a toddler, I had TB and a woman and her husband made me a jingle dress and mocassins and gave them to my mother and had a song sung for me.They said it would make me well, and here I am today.That dress is very dear to me and no one has ever wore it.The jingles are made from old commodity lids and are very tiny. My mother said that this dress took a long time to make and those cones make a music.That old couple is long gone and when I asked my mother why they did that, she said the man said he dreamed that he was supposed to.
I believe that medicine of these dresses is strong,when they are made for that purpose.So I always love to watch the jingle dancers. I never danced it but I was told that when you dance in one, you should be praying for someone in need while you dance.Thats what I was told,but that doesn't mean it is the only way or only right thing, just what I was told.
I agree, sometimes it would be nice to see old way dances,when I was young,dances were all spoke in lakota where I grew up.
gramma de is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Aint Dat Sumptin?

Dat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Dat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond repute
I thought Ol' Style WAS the IT trend these days?...LOL. Seriously all my contemp frenz are swapping there stuff out for old style, more and more fancy dancers are trynna be like tawny hale and amber rose cleveland with the simple solid shawls and such. even my grasser frenz are hittin up the more 'traditional' beadwork designs and outfits.

I notice it more and more these days. more jinglers goin old style, some of which are more successful at it than others.

"Never Compromise yourself, Your all you've got"

"An eye for an eye will only lead to a blind world."
Dat1NdnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
PowWows.com Addicts

Roobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat1NdnGuy View Post
I thought Ol' Style WAS the IT trend these days?...LOL.

I notice it more and more these days. more jinglers goin old style, some of which are more successful at it than others.
yeah I agree.

While it is nice to see, as an ojibwe jingler I would like to see it extend beyond more than just a trend and hope that the sudden influx of old style jinglers can keep on doing it years from now. Maybe with the old style vs. contemporary debates; more powwows can start offering the categories separately. That would be sure to keep some negative feelings away as it doesn't seem right to put down dancers for their style of dance and how they present their outfits (but it happens at every powwow and I understand that) It takes a lot to get out there and do what they do and it's much easier to sit in the stands and criticize someone because maybe their beadwork is too flashy yet we don't know, there could be a good story behind that bead work and it's special to that dancer and reflects their clan, tribe and/or Indian name. Or their dress only has an X amount of rows yet might have near 300+ jingles depending of how they're spaced and sewed down, yet you look in the MN Historical Society archives and see the black and white pics of the ojibwe jinglers with a few rows and their jingles are a little smaller and more narrow than those today but man they sure do have a beautiful sound! (I thought of a few old dresses that have been passed down in my family when I talked of that sound)

For those that are concerned that the old style jingle dress dance is on the way to nonexistence I'd invite you to attend a traditional powwow anywhere in Ojibwe country and you'll get a good dose of straight up old style. Even in Ojibwe country, old style differs depending on what part you are in. What one may deem old style in Obaashing may be different than what they do in Naotkamegwanning or Misi-zagaa'iganing I guess just as our language differs with dialects and such.

That being said, can we really truly put one definition on old style? What is it to you? If a dancer with a "flashy" outfit and beadwork is out there doing old style steps then what are they? If a dancer with granny braids, calico print dress/or velvet dress and otter furs are kicking and doing contemp moves are they old style? Or do you have to have the old style look and the steps to be considered true oldstyle. I guess we could get really technical and start comparing the old style look of today to what was really represented in the past and be amazed. I know I've talked to a well respected old style ojibwe jingler and she remarked on how the old style jingle look that we see represented at powwows lately is different than how she remembers and was taught.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

I have no problems with the flashy outfits of today nor the old style looking outfits of today as long as they're well put together and aren't totally over the top lol I really do like to see and I admire the creativity and talent people have in outfit design and construction. I realize that not everyone is going to like every dancer's style and outfits, heck I have a few cringe moments when I see jinglers spinning full circles but that's just me. We're all different, and I can't expect everyone to see things through my eyes and agree with it all. I mean no disrespect with this post. I've been a member on here awhile and come on here from time to time and see discussions like this generated and this is my first time posting on here in a loooooong time! lol So I'm not even sure of how this will be taken or if someone is going to get offended but I just want to say don't get your undergarments in a wad over this, a question was asked and I'm answering. lol I apologize for the long post!

By the way, that is a beautiful jingle outfit! Wow :)
Miigwech bizindawiyeg :)

Last edited by Roobz; 09-20-2008 at 07:47 PM..
Roobz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Aint Dat Sumptin?

Dat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Dat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond repute
o when it comes to jingle stuff I admit, I dont have the foggiest of ideas what is deemed "old style" seeing as how i'm sure ojibwe's wouldnt see it that way, and from what i've been told the ojibs have societies, and ceremonies with that dress that are entirely separate from powwows alltogether. I have a great deal of respect for that, so I didnt mean to "Critisize" anyone...I just like diversity.

if anything us Skins are resilient and talented. FAR too talented to all be, look, dance, dress the Same. all just because we saw someone "popular" dressed that way ya know?

"Never Compromise yourself, Your all you've got"

"An eye for an eye will only lead to a blind world."
Dat1NdnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
PowWows.com Addicts

Roobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat1NdnGuy View Post
o when it comes to jingle stuff I admit, I dont have the foggiest of ideas what is deemed "old style" seeing as how i'm sure ojibwe's wouldnt see it that way, and from what i've been told the ojibs have societies, and ceremonies with that dress that are entirely separate from powwows alltogether. I have a great deal of respect for that, so I didnt mean to "Critisize" anyone...I just like diversity.

if anything us Skins are resilient and talented. FAR too talented to all be, look, dance, dress the Same. all just because we saw someone "popular" dressed that way ya know?
Naw I didn't think you were criticizing and I totally agree with your posts. I was just throwing some questions out there for anyone to ponder really. Yeah I think we are far too dang talented; I love diversity in bead work and sewing. It's cool to see what new dresses a dancer can come out with to match her bead work or any dancer for that matter!

You know how you mentioned it kind of seems like a trend, (not that there's anything wrong with it) but I wonder how long this one will last and what do you think the new big thing will be?
Roobz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #12
Jingling mommy....

cherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 451.00
I totally agree with everything that's been said. I know I've gotten both good and bad comments about my dress, but like someone said, they don't know the story behind it. My dress is very contemporary but I dance closer to old style (very simple footwork, no full circles, no dancing backward) so I don't know what you'd classify me as. I don't compete at all so it doesn't really matter to me. I love the look of the old dresses though. Planning on making my baby girl's first jingle out of a really pretty light green calico that I found.
cherokeemom06 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #13
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
This is a great thread. All points that have been offered are very positive. I am an old school kind of woman. I make indian clothes for alot of dancers in Oklahoma and I love everything I've made. Done both, contemporary and old school. But if I had my druthers, it would be old school all the way. I just like the look of it, especially when the dancer wears it and dances in the same style.

I personally think it makes it more authentic to the culture. And while I know NDNs adapt to the times, use the materials available and whatever else the arguement is, I feel it just looks cleaner, fresher and down to earth.

I love the contemporary on some dancers (fits their style) but give me Willow Jack in her old style dresses any day. Same with the other categories, Tawny Hale flat rocks but her clothes fit her style.....old school! Those are two women that are keepin it real when dressed in a less flashy way.

Just my two cents, sorry if anyone is offended, didn't mean to. Just gotta keep dancin whatever style you are!
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
powwow bum

ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,659.73
That is an awesome dress. I've been toying with the idea of making a velvet dress.....gotta love that woodlands beadwork!

http://www.mytribalspace.com/tribal/...ame_ndngirl70/
http://www.myspace.com/ndngirl70
ndngirl70 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
Teepee Creepin near you

Items Treasure ChestElephantDevilPresent
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,214.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndngirl70 View Post
That is an awesome dress. I've been toying with the idea of making a velvet dress.....gotta love that woodlands beadwork!
Hey Naughty Girl!!! I was admiring that dress and guess what??? Someone forgot to tell them they need 365 jingles!!! Unless they're all on the back!!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #16
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopashinaab View Post
Hey Naughty Girl!!! I was admiring that dress and guess what??? Someone forgot to tell them they need 365 jingles!!! Unless they're all on the back!!

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #17
Addy's Mommy

~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 436.00
"old style" these days is just that...a "style" Every other powwow someone else is switching. even people who have been dancing a certain way for a long time. I just dont get it.
i think its great that people are trying to get back to the roots of the dance BUT you just have to wonder how many are doing it because thats the thing to do or if they're doing it because thats how they know the dance. know what i mean? seems kinda fishy to me LOL

i do like the beadwork with velvet. the flowers are so pretty! but just like with the neon, once everyones dress looks the same we'll just kind of blend. what if a judge meant to pick that girl but wait, their dresses look the same which one was it again?? LOL j/k.

Last edited by ~*~ShanLyn~*~; 10-01-2008 at 08:48 AM..
~*~ShanLyn~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #18
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
For those that are concerned that the old style jingle dress dance is on the way to nonexistence I'd invite you to attend a traditional powwow anywhere in Ojibwe country and you'll get a good dose of straight up old style. Even in Ojibwe country, old style differs depending on what part you are in. What one may deem old style in Obaashing may be different than what they do in Naotkamegwanning or Misi-zagaa'iganing I guess just as our language differs with dialects and such.

That being said, can we really truly put one definition on old style? What is it to you? If a dancer with a "flashy" outfit and beadwork is out there doing old style steps then what are they? If a dancer with granny braids, calico print dress/or velvet dress and otter furs are kicking and doing contemp moves are they old style? Or do you have to have the old style look and the steps to be considered true oldstyle. I guess we could get really technical and start comparing the old style look of today to what was really represented in the past and be amazed. I know I've talked to a well respected old style ojibwe jingler and she remarked on how the old style jingle look that we see represented at powwows lately is different than how she remembers and was taught.

Good words, Roobz!

Basically, I think everyone is "contemp" (so to speak) in these days and ages at powwows. LOL. Old style today is definitely not the old style 'back in the day'. However, there are still some of that style that holds yet today. The no feathers, plumes, fans and some of the old style steps are still hanging in there, keeping it real ya know. Yep, I agree and have seen old style dresses danced with a contemp style of dance, and vice versa. lol. In the powwow world/culture, there could be so many different Jingle Dress categories! lol.

One thing though - the real work of the Jingle Dress has not gone astray. When you are in 'the lodge', its dark and people are awaiting their healings, and you barely see the dancers come in but hear the cones loud and clear doing the work it was meant to do.........that feeling is unexplainable and I'm extremely proud to be part of such a significant feature of our Anishnabe people.

As for the powwow world/culture, it is social--where we meet friends, old and new. Let's enjoy, be respectful of the dress, and have fun dancing your style.

Mii awe,

Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #19
Teepee Creepin near you

Items Treasure ChestElephantDevilPresent
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,214.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaysweetie View Post

Good words, Roobz!

Basically, I think everyone is "contemp" (so to speak) in these days and ages at powwows. LOL. Old style today is definitely not the old style 'back in the day'. However, there are still some of that style that holds yet today. The no feathers, plumes, fans and some of the old style steps are still hanging in there, keeping it real ya know. Yep, I agree and have seen old style dresses danced with a contemp style of dance, and vice versa. lol. In the powwow world/culture, there could be so many different Jingle Dress categories! lol.

One thing though - the real work of the Jingle Dress has not gone astray. When you are in 'the lodge', its dark and people are awaiting their healings, and you barely see the dancers come in but hear the cones loud and clear doing the work it was meant to do.........that feeling is unexplainable and I'm extremely proud to be part of such a significant feature of our Anishnabe people.

As for the powwow world/culture, it is social--where we meet friends, old and new. Let's enjoy, be respectful of the dress, and have fun dancing your style.

Mii awe,
:a ppl: That's a big HOWAH!!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #20
PowWows.com Addicts

Apije Miigwetch Shinaab

Sponsored Links