PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Jingle Dancing (http://forums.powwows.com/f12/)
-   -   Opinions on unique dresses!!!!! (http://forums.powwows.com/f12/opinions-unique-dresses-67749/)

leemillard 06-24-2013 07:53 PM

Opinions on unique dresses!!!!!

ok now i know the story varies from place to place person to person, but despite which way you were taught, what are your opinions on unique dresses like deer toe jingles, sea shell jingles, or bone maybe... what are your thoughts on animal hide dresses with one of these types of jingles ??? just a thought, id like to know what you guys think yes or no maybe or weird or unique??? :wink:

Thanks for any replies <3

xTekno 06-24-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leemillard (Post 1583476)
ok now i know the story varies from place to place person to person, but despite which way you were taught, what are your opinions on unique dresses like deer toe jingles, sea shell jingles, or bone maybe... what are your thoughts on animal hide dresses with one of these types of jingles ??? just a thought, id like to know what you guys think yes or no maybe or weird or unique??? :wink:

@leemillard, i say UNIQUE! How are you?

leemillard 06-24-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno (Post 1583477)
@leemillard, i say UNIQUE! How are you?

i think so i just know sum ppl stick with what they were taught and think all others are not that good so i was curious to see what ppl would say... i am good hope u are too

Mystic Gazer 06-25-2013 12:25 AM

I like to see all types, I am not very good at making any of them and I admire all those who have that talent. I also say Unique :regular_s

yaahl 06-25-2013 01:06 AM

My people use sea shells and copper.

Joe's Dad 06-25-2013 03:20 AM

Quote:

Are you talking about a dress with the above described jingles, or the Jingle Dress of the Ojibwe People with the above described decorations?

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaahl (Post 1583505)
My people use sea shells and copper.

Your people has a Jingle Dress with sea shells and copper?

AmigoKumeyaay 06-25-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

I love Grand Entry when a long line of Jingle Dress ladies pass by....

WhoMe 06-25-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

ok now i know the story varies from place to place person to person, but despite which way you were taught, what are your opinions on unique dresses like deer toe jingles, sea shell jingles, or bone maybe... what are your thoughts on animal hide dresses with one of these types of jingles ??? just a thought, id like to know what you guys think yes or no maybe or weird or unique???

Hey Lee! Long time no see!

I have seen deer toed jingle dresses. They look and sound nice. I would think sea shells would crack if they were hit against each other so it wouldn't be a good idea. In an interview I did, the informant from the Lake of the Woods area of Ontario said the original jingle dresses of her area were made of bird bones. Another informant from Mille Lacs in Minnesota assured me that they weren't!

New trends are usually instigated by powwow champions. Others usually follow trends by popular dancers. However when someone who is just starting comes out with something unique, dancers just laugh and go on their merry way...

blueberry111 06-25-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

We have dresses with half jingles/half toes to full deer toe jingles where i powwow. They sound very nice and look really awesome next to that contemporary fabric.

yaahl 06-29-2013 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 1583508)
Your people has a Jingle Dress with sea shells and copper?

Not a jingle dress as would be recognized as such by easterners/southerners.

Even my mocs have jingles on them. This pic is one of the boots mocs, mine are just to the ankle.

WhoMe, I've had seashells on my dress for about 25 years, only one has ever broken and it was because something heavy fell on the dress while it was in the car not because I was dancing. I had collected the shells from my home island about 30 years ago.