Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Photos taken during blanket dance?!?!? Photos taken during blanket dance?!?!?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #41
the legal plumes lady!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
walela49 has a reputation beyond repute
walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 112.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato Winyan View Post
I think you all need to lighten up on Maya some. She's a good girl and tries to do things in a good way. She can't help it if she's in Florida. jk .. but yeah you can't hold that against her.

I second that....quit baggin' on Maya....and I thought this thread might actually start dealing with photographers and some of the idiotic things they do at powwows!
walela49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #42
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by walela49 View Post
I second that....quit baggin' on Maya....and I thought this thread might actually start dealing with photographers and some of the idiotic things they do at powwows!
good point.

Now to all you with kool-aide, my kids are comming over cause all we got is no-name punch crystals.
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #43
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Mato, she mentioned to Whome that it was Billy Evans Horse who is Kiowa sang a prayer song for her (Read post #11)

That is the part I thought was wierd
Not that she was Florida
Not that she is a Jingle Dancer

That it was a Kiowa Prayer song that a Jingle Dancer danced to

sigh
enuff about this thread
Good catch... I missed that because I don't know who Billy Evans is.

So who would be in the wrong then in your opinion.. The AD and staff... Billy for singin it or Maya for dancin it?

Seems like there was a whole lot going on with that one huh?
Old 10-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #44
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Good catch... I missed that because I don't know who Billy Evans is.

So who would be in the wrong then in your opinion.. The AD and staff... Billy for singin it or Maya for dancin it?

Seems like there was a whole lot going on with that one huh?
I have seen lots of stuff done in the Southeast that is not done anywhere else...

But in the context of where it was this was perfectly Normal

BTW
As for the Head Singer he was asked to sing a song and that is what he did
Here in Oklahoma he is well known and comes from a Highly Respected Kiowa Family

As for Photographs....
THAT Falls DIRECTLY on the SHOULDERS of the AD AND THE MC!!!
They control that Arena and are the ones that suppose to make sure that if its appropriate to take photos then they announce it

Too often I have seen AD's That are not sure of themselves not take action on something like this
THEY are the ones that are suppose to not allow that in the Arena.

Even here in Oklahoma I have seen Photographers take liberties as if they are immune to any decorum or respect of what is going on
Believe me though they are usually chewed out for that
Old 10-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #45
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
I figured the way Who questioned about him singing that it was out of the ordinary for him. I'm just really not too familiar with southern family names and all. I know just a few.

So just for a discussion...... do you think if it was posted and announced that anyone caught taking photos would have cameras taken by the committee and charged say.... $50 fine it would help? Could it be enforced? There could be a sign at the entrance that says those entering are in agreement to the rules of the committee.

What cha think?
Old 10-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #46
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
I figured the way Who questioned about him singing that it was out of the ordinary for him. I'm just really not too familiar with southern family names and all. I know just a few.

So just for a discussion...... do you think if it was posted and announced that anyone caught taking photos would have cameras taken by the committee and charged say.... $50 fine it would help? Could it be enforced? There could be a sign at the entrance that says those entering are in agreement to the rules of the committee.

What cha think?
Well it comes down to enforcement
We have had lots of discussions here on the boards about Committees and Headstaff enforcing the rules

Its seems though these photographers are getting out of hand
I have seen them during Red Earth come out on the floor during Grand Entry and take the shot

I suggest two big ole burly guys tackle and body slam them the heck with the fine
LOL
Old 10-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #47
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
They may have trouble inforcing a fine (I don't know if your allowed to make up your own fines) I have heard of threats of confiscation. Don't know if it happens. Like the ideas though.

It is true being an AD or MC is a big job, & you got to know your stuff. I know of one powwow where the committee lacks knowledge & hands out these roles to friends, needless to say the powwow reflects their poor choice, which in turn effects attendance, you go once & stand around thinking "what is this?" And if a powwow like this exists in your community your stuck contemplating if you should go because it IS your community, or if you should skip it because you know things won't be done s they should. Not an easy decission.
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #48
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by walela49 View Post
Thank you Walela and Mato. The song wasn't slow at all and my friend and I were able to dance to it.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:34 AM   #49
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazziff View Post
did i ever state ... ask the host drum to pack up and leave? LMFAO

and for one thing ... you can hear the drums from any point in the camping area (you dont necessarily need to ask a whole drum to come out .... LOL) its not the drum that is important in this sacred blanket dance ... its the jingle dress ... and the family or you could have asked one singer to come out with a hand drum if ya wanted to ... sooooo many options in this sacred blanket dance you speak of ...

been thinking ... maybe you should speak to an Ojibwe Elder or an Ojibwe jingle dancer ... before you dance another "healing" dance for someone ... just a thought
I'd rather let the drum, whomever it is, choose an appropriate song to be sung instead of randomly picking a song to dance to. just my opinion. as far as talking to an Ojibwe elder or jingle dancer, the ones I know are kinda snobbish towards people like me. but that's another thread for another day.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #50
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayChe View Post
. . . as far as talking to an Ojibwe elder or jingle dancer, the ones I know are kinda snobbish towards people like me. . . .
May,

I know you did what you thought were best with what you had. This is commendable.

But I think Chaz's point is valid.

The healing portion of the jingle dress dance should be consulted with the Anishinabe Kwe. I am sure there is more to the healing dance than just requesting a song from whatever drum is available and doing the dance.

I know if I was to conduct a ceremony and I wasn't authorized to do so by the people who do it as part of their culture, it could potentially backfire and harm someone.

.... food for thought.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #51
Minglin' N Jinglin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
May,

I know you did what you thought were best with what you had. This is commendable.

But I think Chaz's point is valid.

The healing portion of the jingle dress dance should be consulted with the Anishinabe Kwe. I am sure there is more to the healing dance than just requesting a song from whatever drum is available and doing the dance.

I know if I was to conduct a ceremony and I wasn't authorized to do so by the people who do it as part of their culture, it could potentially backfire and harm someone.

.... food for thought.
I understand, but this isn't the first time I've done this and I've done this with other Anishinabe Kwes before. However, when I meet one again in-person that's open-minded, I'll ask.

Last edited by MayChe; 10-20-2008 at 01:53 PM..
MayChe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #52
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
This is first I've heard about this.

To us a blanket dance is done at a powwow to help out someone with funds. For instance at one of the many powwows I was at a family broke down and that blanket dance was done, people threw some money in it and it was given to help them out.

But never heard of that other kind.

And yes, to WhoMe's comments. I would never fiddle around with any other tribes' ceremonies for fear of doing something in the wrong way (inadvertently). We have to be careful.

Last edited by ojibwaysweetie; 10-21-2008 at 09:32 PM..
ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links