PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Jingle Dancing (http://forums.powwows.com/f12/)
-   -   Plumes... where do I get em? (http://forums.powwows.com/f12/plumes-where-do-i-get-em-11352/)

Nic0leslaw 06-17-2003 12:26 PM

Plumes... where do I get em?

Hi, I'm wondering about the plumes that ya'll put on the barette for your hair... where do you get one, LOL, more importantly, where can i get a few, I'm slowly working on my first dress, and I'm in desperate need of plumes... can anyone help?

Nic.

spottedeagle 06-17-2003 02:38 PM

I seen them in the Crazy Crow catalog. Not sure how nice they are.

Nic0leslaw 06-17-2003 02:43 PM

Shoulda mentioned I'm in Canada, Ontario to be exact, is there a kind of repository here in Canada?

Riverwoman 06-17-2003 02:45 PM

I have the "plumes" from Nocbay. They are not bad, and will work for what you need them for. Other then that, if you are lucky enough to live in Canada and can get access to the dump, you may want to try there.

Maybe you could make a trade with someone? who knows, but be carefull about that, and if you are in the US, be very carefull as it is illegal big time to send them over the border.

TRADISHDNCR 06-17-2003 02:49 PM

MACAWS ARE A GOOD IDEA FOR STARTERS, UNTIL YOU GET YOUR PLUMES. THERE ARE SEVERAL COLOR COMBOS THAT CAN MATCH YOUR DANCE CLOTHES.

--AND THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION- YOU GET THE PLUMES FROM THE EAGLES BUTT.:eek: :eek: :eek: ;) :) :cool:

Riverwoman 06-17-2003 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by straightdancerinaz
Jeez....do they even have laws in Canada that protect birds??? You read all the time about guys hording like 50 carcasses, tryin to make it to GON or Denver March to sell....

Tell Tahemet to stake out the trash dump up in the Yukon and mail you some.

Silly you! Stake out the trash dump:rolleyes: As I should have said, I walk along the peremter of the dump, near the electric fence ( bear problem there). Not in the stinky ol trash;)

Singing Eagle 06-17-2003 10:01 PM

If you're in Ontario go to the nearest lake and walk along the shore - you're bound to find one or two. Ask your elder relatives if they know where they nest or where there would be good fishing.

Don't forget to leave some tobacco if you are fortunate enough to find some. I go up north every year and always find a few beauties to bring home.

As for laws in Canada and people who abuse the bird population - yes it's true that some take more then they should and conduct their "trading" in a way that dishonors the birds - however there are many of us who do not.

meetmeinthegarden 06-18-2003 09:09 PM

in Ontario you can always go to the zoo, or raptor sanctuaries...or the African Lion Safari. As it was just malting time for many of the eagles there they lost a lot of the feathers. I was just there and it was spectacular...I COULD have walked outta there with a tail fan, plumes, and some nice sides....but alas, a fence seperated us....so I could only sit by and salivate and stare at the feathers.
Obsessive eh?? *L*

Kiwehnzii 06-18-2003 09:09 PM

Climb into an eagles nest and wait and wait and wait. When an eagle comes to the nest reach up real quick and pull a couple off.
Be prepared for a sharp claw though. The beak is very sharp and strong also.

Seriously, did you try a zoo? Sometimes they will give you some if you're a native.

Singing Otter 06-18-2003 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
When an eagle comes to the nest reach up real quick and pull a couple off.
:Chatter :Chatter :Chatter :Chatter :Chatter

Dat1NdnGuy 06-19-2003 05:56 AM

GOOD QUESTION...

I ALWAYS asked that same question...traded around a lil bit.
I was DESPERATLY in search of blacktips and plumes...this one guy even wanted a beaded vest...front and back. for one tail and a few plumes...geez. Had me thinkin, but I don't think so.:D

hidatsachic24 06-19-2003 11:42 AM

nocbay.com...they got package of them....

sweetjingldresdancer 06-26-2003 04:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
[B]Climb into an eagles nest and wait and wait and wait. When an eagle comes to the nest reach up real quick and pull a couple off.
Be prepared for a sharp claw though. The beak is very sharp and strong also.

man some of the stuff said in here is funny man keep it up lol

:Chatter

*Kwe_Zee* 06-26-2003 09:07 AM

Re: GOOD QUESTION...

Quote:

Originally posted by Dat1NdnGuy
I ALWAYS asked that same question...traded around a lil bit.
I was DESPERATLY in search of blacktips and plumes...this one guy even wanted a beaded vest...front and back. for one tail and a few plumes...geez. Had me thinkin, but I don't think so.:D

Why not? I did this for a in-law and now I got my black tips (which I always wanted) and EXTRA plumes. I had to work to get my stuff.:Chatter Yeh Nocbay got those imitation plumes. They're really short aren't they? For myself, I'd sooner wear nothing and wait for some real ones because, you can tell they're fake! Anybody else agree or am I being doopid?:p :p

*Kwe_Zee* 06-26-2003 09:09 AM

Another thing is, my relative in WI goes walking in the bush (he's not scared of no bear!:p JK) and finds them that way and another dude I know, goes in the mountains out west and that's how he comes across them as well.

hidatsachic24 06-26-2003 10:47 AM

yay i do admit nocbay doesnt have thee best plumes....did anybody find out about crazy crow's plumes? who else sells plumes...b/c im living in ohio (toledo) and lately we've been getting tons of seagulls expecially by miracle mile shopping plaza parking lot...-becca

superndngyrl 06-26-2003 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hidatsachic24
yay i do admit nocbay doesnt have thee best plumes....did anybody find out about crazy crow's plumes? who else sells plumes...b/c im living in ohio (toledo) and lately we've been getting tons of seagulls expecially by miracle mile shopping plaza parking lot...-becca
yeah i ordered some from Crazy crow and their real short and wimpy. Now their just sitting there in my craft pile like the rest of everything else. :)

Man i want some big tall and fluffy plumes too!!! If u get some, share the wealth! *L* jk

*Kwe_Zee* 06-26-2003 03:44 PM

Seagull plumes????:confused: :Chatter

superndngyrl 06-26-2003 04:16 PM

what about ostrich plumes? *L* JK ;) :Chatter

*Kwe_Zee* 06-26-2003 06:25 PM

LOL... hooleh you'd get noticed for sure in those bad boys. LOL. Try some peacock plumes for even more color! lol..:Chatter