Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Soup can lids, the new jingles?
Yes... I wanna make a dress with them! 3 7.89%
Yeah, they look and sound really cool! 4 10.53%
Um, maybe, the idea still sounds funny too me. 11 28.95%
NO!!!! I don't wanna smell like chicken noodle! 20 52.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Soup can lids, the new jingles? Soup can lids, the new jingles?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2002, 07:55 PM   #1
Jinglin fool...

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
n8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Soup can lids, the new jingles?

OK... i was at a powwow a while ago and there was a jingle dancer that used soup can lids as jingles..... it sounded kinda cool but i am not sure what everyone else thinks..... I need your opinion!!!!

-Kelli

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!
n8tivechick is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2002, 01:26 AM   #2
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
I've heard of folks using soup lids. Goes back to using what you have, I think. I've heard of cutting your own out of sheet metal (tin), using canning lids, soup lids, deer toes, and snuff lids. I've even seen a jingler use thimbles. I'd probably talk to some older folks and get their input...
Singing Otter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2002, 02:42 PM   #3
Junior Dancer

contemptradish is a jewel in the rough
heh, haven't seen that one around these parts yet. i'm sure it'll spread here soon enough.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:38 PM   #4
Riverwoman

Yep, as for a matter of fact, I am in the process of starting a second dress, and I am going to use the tin lids from the no-name mushroom cans:D They are just a bit smaller then the "regular" ones, and are nice and gold. There is a small circle pattern on them too, so they are not totally plain.

Got my order from nocbay yesterday! Wahoo! 15 days from the US to here But anyways, I have that jingle dress pattern, the plains moccassin pattern, the cone turner, and two plumes that I have to put together.

Will have to be carefull though, they are sharp! Been saving them for months now, and I was wondering, how would I make them not as sharp as they are now? I know that I need needle nose pliers, and some good leather gloves for my hands, and the cone turner, do you have any tips?

;)
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2002, 09:17 PM   #5
Jinglin fool...

n8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond repute
Riverwoman: HEY! when you are done making your dress PLEASE take a pic of it and post it! i wanna see what it looks like... I have only seen one with soup can lids and they were silver so your gold will be really cool! UM....... on the sharp thing i am not sure, maybe try sanding it but i think it is a man's question LOL....

-Kelli

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!
n8tivechick is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2002, 02:04 PM   #6
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
Hmmm.... soup can lids, don't these have more weight than snuff lids? Sounds like they'd be fairly heavy.

Riverwoman- I hope the gold color on your mushroom can lids doesn't chip off. Scratch one and see if its actually silver underneath. I once used gold colored Kerr canning lids for jingles and they all looked beaten like hell after only a year or two. Let us know how it works for ya.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2002, 08:08 PM   #7
Riverwoman

I sure will, geez just got those Missouri River patterns, for moccs and the jingle dress. Thanks for the advice, and I will let you know, the material for the dress is no problem, just a problem of getting 500 mushroom can lids:p

People here in town think I am nutz when I ask on the radio for them, but who are they to know anyways

Thanks all!
Old 04-13-2002, 11:20 PM   #8
Teen Dancer

dancnbrd is on a distinguished road
Credits: 380.00
Question

I too, think the soup can lids would carry much more weight to them....is there anyone out here who could tell us????
dancnbrd is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2002, 07:29 PM   #9
Jingle Dress Retiree

JingleBelle is an unknown quantity at this point
I gotta say that they would probably weigh a lot more and I can't picture them as being too attractive... There are a lot of places where you can get jingles inexpensively, I just can't imagine saving three hundred soup cans lids at .50 cents a pop compared to thirteen cents for a real, already rolled jingle.
JingleBelle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2002, 10:49 AM   #10
hidatsachic24

Smile

soup can for jingles...is actually good to have on a jingle dress..i made one with them but before
stringing them to bias tape..i soaked them in bleach water to get rid of the smell and
let them air dry for a day or so...they do make a really good sound and think of it this way
it might be less expensive than buying jingles...plus you can roll them anyway you want to which is really great for picky people liek me...the only thing i do come across which i have problem with
is noc bay jingles(mcphersons) i used them once and now i'm stuck with them..
nobody bought them just yet b/c i think more jingle dancers preferr silver creek or redwood above mcphersons...just a suggestion here maybe those should be taken off the market
and be replaced at noc bay with a better brand or sell rolled plain jingles like the
guy out in texas (somwhere) for cheaper price..
Old 04-24-2002, 03:58 PM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

NDN Princess 2001 is on a distinguished road
I've seen them a long ago. I didn't care for them. Looked duller and to me they sounded klunker. Besides I would never be able to eat that much soup!! :p

One thing I would never use would be mason jar lids!! They are bad, really bad sounding.

Have fun trying to get rid of the sharp edges! Only thing I have seen done is to pinch a rim up on them with pliers!

NDN Princess 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2002, 07:53 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

creejingledress is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to agree with ndnprincess....they aren't very good looking...I mean they really do look like they're made from soup cans and it doesn't look good. I've seen jingles made from them and they do look dull and sound like cans.
creejingledress is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2004, 12:29 AM   #13
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing Otter
I've heard of folks using soup lids. Goes back to using what you have, I think. I've heard of cutting your own out of sheet metal (tin), using canning lids, soup lids, deer toes, and snuff lids. I've even seen a jingler use thimbles. I'd probably talk to some older folks and get their input...
Using thimbles on a dress goes way way back; to when the white man was giving natives trade-beads and such. I've seen old photos of women with dresses decorated with thimbles. I have also seen old jingle dresses with the old baking powder lids, but have yet to see a modern dress with soup can lids. I hope somebody can post a photo. I like to try new things once in a while...
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2004, 08:29 PM   #14
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
I don't like them soup can lids either. My faves are redwood and of course copenhagen. They seem to last and the sound of them are nice. I like them to make a nice sound. *shkk-shhkk-shkkk* :D
This one lady made hers from a certain juice can, they're spirally. I thought looked cool. Kinda thin though, so dunno how they sound.

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2004, 01:59 AM   #15
is actually posting!

*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute
Soup can lids are old school. My aunt who is an oldie but goodie :p had a dress decades ago with soup can lids.:D
*Kwe_Zee* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2004, 10:20 AM   #16
hidatsawmn26

at first

at first i thought soup cans was a good idea but now ya know wut i don't think so because bleaching them dosnt help to get the smell away from the lids...plus ya get that after bleachy smell too... i think also soup cans rust alot faster than redwood etc.. plus their harder to roll at least i thought so..
Old 06-29-2004, 04:20 PM   #17
Head Dancer

Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,765.68
on those sharp edges have you thought of using a tin snipper? Don't know if it would work for soup lids but I know it does for the jingles and it doesn't leave a sharp edge..hope that helps.
Lakota_winyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2004, 01:23 AM   #18
Addy's Mommy

~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 436.00
i'd rather use redwoods than anything else....i tried macpherson's and they rust and are thinner than redwoods and have a different sound..i dont really like em....but meh i dunno

and soup cans....i doubt i'd ever have enough lids to even try it :Chatter
Old 07-05-2004, 04:04 PM   #19
I are an aunt

native_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 503.00
I have a dress made with soup cans...momma made it a long time ago...since theyre a lighter weight you can fit a lot more jingles on it. however they have a lighter sound, i myself like it that way.

http://www.myspace.com/anty_tweeb
native_flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links