Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing unfit jingle dress unfit jingle dress

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 07:25 AM   #61
Grass Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
anishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond repute
anishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,258.05
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetsage02
Real sorry to hear about that. One of my daughters was recently pushed out of the way by an elder. This push was a hard one, knocking her down to the ground. When she hit the floor, you could just see the hurt in her eyes...I really felt for her. All I could do was grab her & hold her. I didn't say anything to the person but I thought what he did was just pure rude but I also didn't know quite how to react since that person is an elder. All I can say is...May God forgive people who treat our children like so.
OMG. Elder or not, if I was there I would have come UNGLUED!!!!!!
anishinabealltheway is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #62
Jingle Dancer

softwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond repute
softwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond reputesoftwind has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by anishinabealltheway
I can't believe that an elder would do something like that. I am Ojibwa and have teachers who are elder jingle dancers and talk about it often. I have never heard of any colors being proper or improper.

Some Anishinaabekwewuk get annoyed when they see someone who hasn't been given the proper teachings on the spiritual aspect of this dance, and wear the dress anyway ,but, other tribes have adopted this style just as ojibs have adopted the styles of other tribes, and most understand this, and wouldn't expect a Navajo to practice an Ojibwa religious deed.

It sounds like craziness to me. I wouldn't have blamed you if you read that person the riot act, but I think that it is right that you didn't.

So many young ones are taking a pass on learning our traditions, and I abhor anyone who discourages our youth from participating by spouting these cruel pretensions.

If you see someone doing things the wrong way I think that it is better to make an attempt to tell them with respect and understanding, not bullying and belittling.

To bully a little girl like that is abominable. For an elder to behave in such a way is disgraceful. This is what my elders have taught me.

Niin sa, Chi anung
I totally agree very well spoken, and my hopes are that this family sees how so many people care about what has happen to this young girl and her family and I do believe sometimes you do have to stand up for yourself especialy at todays Powwows it seems that alot of people want to call themselves a Elder or what I call a Super Indian.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:49 AM   #63
ITZ ME ROSE YO

Bling Blingin Sioux is a jewel in the rough
Location: STANDING ROCK SIOUX TRIBE/SIOUX VALLEY DAKOTA NATION AND SISSETON WAHPETON..PURE SIOUX BABY...LOL
This Is So Sad To Read..some Of These Elders At Powwows Are So Disrespectful...they Always Say To Respect Our Elders But Why Respect Them When They Go Around Judging N Pulling A Jingle Dress Dancer Aside Because Of The Usage Of Tha Wrong Color Or Wutever...i Have Been Dancing Since I Was 2 Years Old So About 17 Years Now..i Have Been Through Some Of These Problems You Are Talkin About....i Had This One Older Lady Get Mad At Me Because There Was Floral Designs On My Beadwork..she Said You Don't Have The Right..i Said Why N Than She Said Because You Are Sioux..i Was Like Hey, My Grandmother Always Had Floral Outfits For A Dakota Women...i Just Wanted To Have A Lil Bit Of My Grandmas Style In My Beadwork....i Also Said You Have No Right To Judge My Outfit Or Say Anything Negative Towards Me Especially When I Didn't Do Anything To U....also This One Time In Mn I Had These Ladies Come Up To Me N My Momz N Said Why Do U Wear Paint On Your Forehead..do You Have The Right?? I Sad Yes I Do N I Can Do Wutever I Want With It Especially When My Uncle Who Is A Vietnam Veteran Gave Me The Right 2..i Told These Ladies That My Family Is A Military Family N Many Of My Uncles, Both Grandpas, An Aunt, Brothers And Many Cousins Who Have Been In War N Serving For This Country Right Now....i Have The Right To Wear Paint Because Of My Military Family Who Fought In Battle, So Yea That's Why I Wear Tha War Paint To Show Respect For My Family...they Are All Proud Of Me When I Wear Face Paint...they Said Ooo N Walked Away..

But When Someone Comes Up To Me N Says Anything Negative..i'm Going To Lash Out Right Back To Them..no One Gets Away With Disrespecting Another..if These Elders Want Respect, They Should Show Respect Aswell...i Know How It Feels To Get Pulled Aside By An Elder, It's An Awful Feeling..so I Want To Say Sorry N To Keep Your Heads Up To All Tha Jingle Dress Dancers Out There Who Have Been Threw This...

You think I am a fool, but you are a greater fool than I am<<CHIEF SITTING BULL>>
Bling Blingin Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #64
Southern Cloth Mom

NativeBaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 60.00
What a shame! You know, while the dance and dress is a sacred thing, a powwow is a social event intended for people to get together and have a good time.

Im so sorry your lil girl was treated that way. As long as your daughter carried herself in a good way and had good thoughts in her heart...thats all that should matter.
NativeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #65
SNASNA WACI WINYAN

MrzDancerMom has a brilliant futureMrzDancerMom has a brilliant futureMrzDancerMom has a brilliant futureMrzDancerMom has a brilliant futureMrzDancerMom has a brilliant futureMrzDancerMom has a brilliant futureMrzDancerMom has a brilliant futureMrzDancerMom has a brilliant futureMrzDancerMom has a brilliant future
Keep Dancing

I read this and it got me thinking *oh and upset*.
I was raised by my unchi and she has taught me to no matter what...ASK QUESTIONS....elder or not. So if that was my girl I would have gone up and asked that elder why she hadn't talked with me first or have came to me....and why. We raise our kids to be outgoing; to be able to have the courage to carry on our traditions no matter what they face. So be-littling a child; that is disgraceful.

all of us gals in my family dance jingle. I am going on my 2nd year after I have stopped dancing as a adolecent. It feels good to be dancing again. My dress is burgundy and teal with fire colors. Eldest daughter is Med.Blue, purple, black and white w./fire colors. and my youngest is Blue, Red and yellow. I also tell and remind us about the origins of the dance, what it means and to respect it.

keep dancing!

Wichozani
Be Well

>!< KIMIMILA>!<
MrzDancerMom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #66
Pow Wow Visitor

short apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDaze49 View Post
I woulda been like, "Put down the crack pipe lady, its gonna be okay..."

:devil

No but seriously, If ya think your all mighty mizz know it all, make your own dern dress and show us all how its done, till then, people need to shutuppa theyre face. She shouldnt have given it up, if anything she should show that lady the ol "sticks and stones" and kept right on dancing.

Like Creator is sitten in the sky world all "Oh my gaw Becky, look at her dress! Its all purple and pink! Gah!".

Creator dont care what your wearing just as long as your dancing.

Creator dont care what you are, just as long as you sing.

Limiting our peoples color use is white man stuff. Theres no one on this earth who can tell us whats right and wrong about pow wow, because pow wow isnt even pow wow anymore if you really think about it.

So until Creator comes down and tells your daughter that she shouldnt use those colors, you should encourage her to get back out there, cuz I bet she dances with her heart and not for the money, the RIGHT way.
amen sista! lol. i agree with ya. there r some pow wow cops out there. thats what i call them. The elder should of explained to why the colors or not correct and not been so rude about. And was that old lady chippewa? if not she has no say. don't let no one rain down on your powwow!
short apache girl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2010, 04:16 AM   #67
Pow Wow Visitor

short apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobz View Post
The nerve! And yeah it's true what Maji said the elder women carrying the stick are who you have to listen to! A main reason why I can't wait to get back into fancy shawl dancing is so I won't have to feel like I'm being criticized by everyone about my jingle dresses and my style of dancing; especially at traditional powwows around here. Sometimes I feel weird out there in my dresses because I worry about what other people think and nobody has approached me well maybe once but it wasn't to get after me...usually I get compliments. But if someone came up telling me I was a disgrace and whatnot I'd probably cry! My dresses, around here anyways are seen as contemporary. But once I get to contests I'm blown away by the intricate designs and flashiness of some dresses; and I think they look good as does the oldstyle ones. I just think that sometimes people have to find something to get bent out of shape about and go from there. If anyone comes up to me to say something about my dresses and style they better have a stick in their hands! Tell your daughter to get back out there and maybe you should approach the elderly lady w/ some tobacco and say "Next time you want to pass advice on to my daughter do it through me! Because it got to the point where she doesn't even want to dance anymore and we shouldn't be discouraging our youth from dancing if we want to keep our culture alive!"
yep i agree with u. i am from the south. they r nothing but pow wow cops and think they r so traditional. But yet the elders sit and watch and don't dance and i have younger people that use to dance now just watches. sooner or later we will all just watch the drum.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:31 AM   #68
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato Winyan View Post
OK.... here goes... you ready for this?

I guess it is believed that the dress was given to a young girl and that is what the medicine is about. The dream/vision and healing. This is a medicine/healing dance and that it is to be done by the young girls in keeping with that orginial dream. After a woman marries and has children she should no longer do this because the "medicine" now is not apart of that.
I guess that it was forgotten about Maggie White the "Mother" of jingle dancing danced after this time.

Here are a couple of articles I found about Maggie. Couldn't find a photo... I know I have one somewhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The late Maggie White, from Ontario, is considered to be Canada's first lady of Jingle Dress dancing in more recent times. Her influence has caused the Jingle Dress Dance to flourish and migrate from Ontario to Western Canada. She would lead the Jingle Dress dancers in the Grand Entry at a pow wow. Often, at pow wows, she would inspire the Jingle Dress dancers by talking with them about the history and the style used in the dance.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Almost a century ago, 7 year old Maggie White of White Fish Bay Ontario, was suffering from rheumatic fever and not expected to live. Her father went into ceremony and received a vision that led to the making of the first Jingle Maggie went on to recover from her illness, to dance in her jingle dress and to establish a new tradition that lives on today on the Pow Wow circuit.
this is awesome!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #69
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebelle View Post
http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho....php?photo=803

look at the photo, note the child in the photo.
very nice picture. The grandma is holding a child. Even back in the days jingle dress had its own style just the same color. We r all different and all ndn r known as artists!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #70
Chahta Champion

ChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 239.93
I remember a powwow last year, down here in the dirty dirty, where one of our tribal elders pulled this little pale kid out of the arena and told him to "just go home." i felt bad for the little fella, but hey, grass dancers don't nearly kick people over EVERY FEW SECONDS. lol. it was funny.
ChahtaGrasser is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #71
Chahta Champion

ChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 239.93
i'm not being disrespectful about the way he danced either... you just had to of seen it.
ChahtaGrasser is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #72
Pow Wow Visitor

yellowotter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,918.16
Rainydaze....Thankyou for your input....
yellowotter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links