Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe's Dad

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing unsure!! unsure!!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
nipsassyquah is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 131.08
Savings: 0.00
Question unsure!!

I'm 18 years old, member of the Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation. I didn't grow up on the rez but I was raised there, I live there now and I've really gotten into powwows and stufff... the drum fills my chest and tells my feet to move but I'm scared too. I've never done it in my life.. I just want to know if its ever too late? I don't want to walk out there and feel everyone staring at me, judging. I just want to hear from other dancers their first time stories and how old you were you when you began? any words for a beginner?
nipsassyquah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 62,020.90
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipsassyquah View Post
I'm 18 years old, member of the Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation. I didn't grow up on the rez but I was raised there, I live there now and I've really gotten into powwows and stufff... the drum fills my chest and tells my feet to move but I'm scared too. I've never done it in my life.. I just want to know if its ever too late? I don't want to walk out there and feel everyone staring at me, judging. I just want to hear from other dancers their first time stories and how old you were you when you began? any words for a beginner?
Hi nipsassy. I don't have any stories to tell you, but I do have some advice.

Get your stuff ready...and right before you walk into the circle...put on a blindfold! A blindfold, I say. LOL

You see...that way you won't feel like all the people are staring at you. You can let the drumbeat move to your feet and dance on clouds.

Now after you've bumped into everybody, and they're yelling at you, "Hey, watch out sassy!", you can take off the blindfold and...

Just Jam!!!

Good luck out there. You'll do just fine!
windanncer likes this.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Dragonfly

Barb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 602.84
Hi There,

It is never too late to start anything you really want to do. Especially dance I did not start dancing till I was 50+. To dance is in us it brings us closer to the Creator.

Don't worry about people looking at you most of the time it is just because you are new to the circle and they don't know you yet.

Take Care
Old 09-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
dances with fat chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 15,435.74
is there a local indian center nearby? most of them have classes
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 07:58 AM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

faizan123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 112.00
There are a lot of informative youtube videos if you have the time to search through all the crap ones. Also, For finding what the parts to the regalia are, just google it. You can get results that way and design it from there. When I designed my northern tradish rig, I drew out the front and back of all the components and drew my designs. Then I hit the internet to find the most efficient way of adding the designs to the actual pieces. It takes a while but it can be done! As for getting the steps, like I told another kid on here, there is no better of a way to learn something than to ask someone in person who has done the dance and can show you the proper way to do it. Also, if you haven't already, research and ask around about the origin and the purpose of the dance. This is good to know. Hope this helps you!!!