Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 5 Post By DeafElderWoman

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Why Sweetgrass braid while jingling? Why Sweetgrass braid while jingling?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yellowotter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,622.72
Savings: 0.00
Why Sweetgrass braid while jingling?

Hey y'all, I have seen some jingle dress dancers, albeit most were older...with sweetgrass braids held in their hands while dancing...is it a personal choice of the dancer? or is it nation specific? I don't see a whole lotta jingle dancers in Massachusetts so any help would be great.

Last edited by yellowotter; 07-17-2015 at 12:32 AM..
yellowotter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,184.91
Savings: 1.00
It's just what they feel like dancing with. Smells good burning.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2015, 03:43 AM   #3
Powwow Grandmother

DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,566.41
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowotter View Post
Hey y'all, I have seen some jingle dress dancers, albeit most were older...with sweetgrass braids held in their hands while dancing...is it a personal choice of the dancer? or is it nation specific? I don't see a whole lotta jingle dancers in Massachusetts so any help would be great.
When a person want to put some sweetgrass (not braids), sage, tobacco, and small rock in the little pouch which will be carried around her neck. This will be medicine to help her to be pure and have nothing happen to her.

If the Jingle dancers, even some were older, don't have pouch or purse to put the braided sweetgrass while dancing. They need the braided sweetgrass to hold for medicine. Maybe they are thinking of going to the Fireside to give some of the sweetgrass which might not be necessary because at the Fireside, they already have sweetgrass, sage and tobacco to give or spread into the fire and pray for someone who passed or need help for themselves.

Sweetgrass is very traditional and sacred whether to smoke pipe or to burn sweetgrass in the shell bowl to bless the building and to themselves. They choose what they want to do with sweetgrass and other herbs.

DeafElderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

yellowotter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,622.72
Thankyou all for your replies...any thoughts help
yellowotter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links