PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Jingle Dancing (http://forums.powwows.com/f12/)
-   -   Work Out Routine? (http://forums.powwows.com/f12/work-out-routine-22547/)

apache_princess 09-25-2004 09:04 PM

Work Out Routine?

Just for fun, what do u do to get in shape for jingle dancing.... Lemme know if u work out (or not), what kind of work out u do, and if u try to eat healthy or get dancing power from frybread!

ojibwaywmn 09-27-2004 12:11 PM

I have been running for the past few years. Even though I didn't train before pow wow season, the conditioning has really helped with my dancing. SO I plan on running more consistently and build up my arms and calves for next year.

As for diet, I have experienced hypoglycemic episodes a lot lately. So now I am trying to eat more healthier and not skip any meals. I am learning that processed foods and simple carbos are the main culprit.

49in_ndn 09-27-2004 04:23 PM

running... I think that was the best for me when I was working out. I ran at least 2 miles about 4 or 5 times a week. That was the main thing cause it helps with breathing and your energy.

KeetersCAT 09-27-2004 06:01 PM

I think you should try what me and the man do...hustle to the supper table and keep both elbows way out (so no one beats you). I think that's like speed walking. :22:

shookshooklaquay 09-28-2004 12:09 PM

Too Funny

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeetersCAT
I think you should try what me and the man do...hustle to the supper table and keep both elbows way out (so no one beats you). I think that's like speed walking. :22:

Keeters couldn't have said it better myself... I am on the Seafood diet I see it I eat it... To be honest with you, I am out of shape and need to work on my body however, I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with Stamina when I am dancing jingle as a matter of fact I feel so light when I dance jingle.

apache_princess 10-02-2004 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojibwaywmn
I have been running for the past few years. Even though I didn't train before pow wow season, the conditioning has really helped with my dancing. SO I plan on running more consistently and build up my arms and calves for next year.

As for diet, I have experienced hypoglycemic episodes a lot lately. So now I am trying to eat more healthier and not skip any meals. I am learning that processed foods and simple carbos are the main culprit.

I know what you mean about the hypoglycemic episodes--I get them when I do not eat regularly and I turn into a total MONSTER who needs food asap. Maybe I should get tested. Running is great! I also love lifting weights.

ojibwaywmn 10-03-2004 02:40 PM

I had to get a blood test done for an unrelated health issue, and blood glucose levels are normal. I did wonder if my hypoglycemic episodes were a precursor to diabetes, but I think it is mainly due to skipping meals and too much processed foods.

I am signing up for a running clinic later this month. I think it is a great incentive to get out and exercise.

Singing Otter 10-04-2004 07:46 PM

Well......since I started Kanye West's work out plan...... :p J/K

ojibwaysweetie 10-06-2004 01:18 AM

I'm still trying my best at the gym.

And just brisk walking.

DeNeBaBe 11-15-2004 05:24 AM

cardio

cardio work outs are fun ! and get ya in shape so fast :)

*Kwe_Zee* 11-15-2004 06:15 PM

Running is the best exercise ever.

Whips your stamina in shape and allows you to have a waist again. :p

n8tive_redhead 11-16-2004 08:13 PM

I work out @ the tribal fitness center and play basketball 2-3 times a week to keep in shape, and it helps!!!!!

*Kwe_Zee* 11-16-2004 08:18 PM

See! Running is the shyt :D

lady warrior 11-24-2004 06:27 PM

yoga baby!

i do yoga (although i've fallen off of my routine), i find it's very helpful with breathing and increasing stamina. i also go to dance practice at the local indian center. sometimes, just for fun, i'll walk around my apartment on my tiptoes to build up calves. okay...i'm weird!

xTekno 11-24-2004 06:33 PM

Try my routine:

Jumping to conclusions,
Side-stepping the issues,
Bending the rules,
Pulling people's legs,
Breaking the law,
Pointing fingers, and
Blaming others for my mistakes.

BurBz 11-25-2004 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Kwe_Zee*
Running is the best exercise ever.

Whips your stamina in shape and allows you to have a waist again. :p

a good example of excellent libido!!!

I mean!!! N/m LMAO :Chatter :Tongue

love ya summer!!! :D

DancingCreek 07-20-2005 06:56 AM

I'm a runner.
I really would like to start a weight lifting program to compliment the running and the dancing.

kiiyaaniiasdzaa 07-31-2005 03:36 PM

Routine

Wish I had a solid weekly work out but with work, school and 4 kids, beadwork and outfits to make; makes it kinda hard. But when I do have the time I practice dancing for one hour. Walk with my kids for an hour and try and run at least once a week.

DancingCreek 08-17-2005 08:13 PM

WOW!
This past weekend really made me realize that I do need to add the weight lifting!
The running had me in great areobic shape but on Monday morning my calves were SCREAMING!!!
I was so surprised!

I'm gonna start just by doing calf raises with no weight. I'll add the weight next week, and go from there.

3StarsWoman 08-25-2005 04:04 PM

fanatic

it's always fun to share the way we all work out. Here's mine, i've modified it and i'm kind of a fanatic.
1. warm up with one pow-wow song
2. jog for at least 30 minutes
3. plyometics - my husband built me a box, (his is 22" tall) 14" high, 12x12"wide and long. I jump on top and jump over the other side for 1 1/2 minutes and take a break for 1 minute - do that 5-7 times. It works your legs and core (waist,back).
4. I also have a slight incline on my drive way - for about 1/4 mile. Walk down and sprint up - do that for 5-7 times, that will get your heart pumping and your legs burning.
5. Dance one side of a cassette tape or 4-5 songs from a cd, only resting in between songs.
6. Weights - heavy and light - alternate days of the week for optimum effects.
7. Walk up a steep hill. Walking down is a great work out too.
8. If you have flat surfaces or a gym to run in, jog backwards. Or sign up for a boxing work-out, it's hard.

I don't do all of these all the time. I do alternate, it shocks your body to do something else and for your muscles to conform to and work differently and get stronger faster.

I sound like a fanatic, maybe I am. I'm also married to a tri-athlete, who's a work-out fanatic. I guess our kids will end up being just like us. Oh yeah, lay off of the pepsi and Coke, it will help. Besides, too many of our Indian people have diabetes. Sugar and Alcohol haven't been in our system long enough to genetically be able to process. Not like our europeans neighbors - the irish have been drinking since time immemorial - lol.