PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Jingle Dancing (http://forums.powwows.com/f12/)
-   -   Zippers in front or back? (http://forums.powwows.com/f12/zippers-front-back-29655/)

~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ 10-04-2005 11:56 AM

Zippers in front or back?

Hey there, I was wondering, how many of you put the zippers in the front and how many put them in the back? And, do you think the dress looks backwards with it in the back? Just wondering b/c I see lots of dresses both ways.

04jingle26 10-04-2005 02:29 PM

I usually do mine in the front. It is easier for me to get into and zip up. I usually wear a scarf & choker drop to hide the zipper.

Sweet Syilx 10-08-2005 02:23 AM

Front Front Front!!!

two reasons why I put my zipper in the front and only in the front -

1) You can cover the zipper with your choker drop or scarf (whichever you prefer) if it is in the front.
2) When I am dancing in grand entry, I tend to check out the applique work of the dancer in front of me, if you put the zipper in the back, you would have to adjust the applique work on the dress to accomodate a back zipper. Why not just put in the front and then you can avoid this problem altogether?

Just my two cents.

Sweet Syilx

n8tivechick 10-24-2005 03:34 PM

I usually put it in the back... I have always done it this way. No particular reason. I am not very big on the applique, one because i don't know how to do it right and, two I am more of a traditional jingler.

~Kelli

**Summer_June** 10-24-2005 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Syilx
two reasons why I put my zipper in the front and only in the front -

1) You can cover the zipper with your choker drop or scarf (whichever you prefer) if it is in the front.
2) When I am dancing in grand entry, I tend to check out the applique work of the dancer in front of me, if you put the zipper in the back, you would have to adjust the applique work on the dress to accomodate a back zipper. Why not just put in the front and then you can avoid this problem altogether?

Just my two cents.

Sweet Syilx

I Agree!

anishinaabe_babe 11-02-2005 01:23 PM

Zipper in front or back...

I always put my zipper in front. Me? I am always running late for Grand Entry or for contest.. so it's easier to throw my dress on and and zip while, I am running.. lol! I don't know if anyone else is like that, but I agree too about the applique on the back. It would be hard to insert a zipper on the applique designs. I have seen it done, but everything ends up all crooked.

DancingCreek 08-14-2006 07:55 AM

I have a skirt so I don't use a zipper.

chazziff 08-16-2006 07:47 PM

prefer the zipper in the front .. it does kinda look backwards if its in the back .. lol

and what about the zippers on leggings .. seen some ppl where their's with the zipper on the back of the leg. it looks odd .. looks better with the design on the back of the leg

DancingCreek 08-16-2006 09:23 PM

leggings? zippers in the front

Little Man's Ma 08-16-2006 10:20 PM

Zippers in the front for both dresses and leggings...

There are some ppl out there who are wearing their dresses backwards.. with the zipper in the back..I have seen darts pointing to the shoulder blades, necklines much lower in the back and high in front.. don't know. maybe they just can't tell by the fit that their dresses are literally on backwards.......... :sad_smile

When my girl was younger.. it was so much easier getting her ready with the zipper in front.. she could at least do that up herself!! lol

~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ 08-16-2006 10:59 PM

yup zippers in the front of dress and leggings are the best then lol. it is easier to get ready. just wondering for the one who posted about having a skirt, how do you keep your skirt up and do you have pics of your regalia? and the person who posted above me, your avatar rocks, 'always fresh at tim hortons!' lol

WocusWoman 08-17-2006 02:55 AM

I just finished my daughter's first jingle, no zippers. Two piece outfit, the skirt has elastic waist and sewn in suspenders. top fits on over head, and has matching belt. It turned out nice.

2lineCarrandMorgan 08-24-2006 08:20 PM

well i dont have any dance clothing but in learning about ,the opening in the back for unmarried and in the frount for married for feeding babies,
now that im unmarried i was thinking what would i do.if i ever was able to dance .the frount sounds right to me

PRINCESS04-05 03-31-2007 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Man's Ma (Post 801098)

There are some ppl out there who are wearing their dresses backwards.. with the zipper in the back..I have seen darts pointing to the shoulder blades, necklines much lower in the back and high in front.. don't know. maybe they just can't tell by the fit that their dresses are literally on backwards.......... :sad_smile

When my girl was younger.. it was so much easier getting her ready with the zipper in front.. she could at least do that up herself!! lol

thank you for putting my zippers in the front when i was little... but how come i dont get zippers at all anymore?

lol, lubs you mommy

PRINCESS04-05 03-31-2007 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Man's Ma (Post 801098)

lol, i remember some of those girls.... from like way back in the day when i was like in grade 2...you always made me go tell them thier dresses were on backwards... i was only like 7 telling a 12 year old... it was scary...lol... back in the day...

:D

NativeBaby 04-05-2007 03:54 PM

If the zipper was in the back how would you cover it? A seam could be used to disguise the zipper, but you would still see the seam.

I vote front.

tayoonee 12-09-2011 03:59 PM

I added a side zipper to my daughter's new dress. It works well for her to get in and out of, and its hidden. :smile:

wyo_rose 12-09-2011 04:37 PM

I always try to do zippers in the front...or not at all...but then you should see all the girls wearing the dresses that I made with the zippers in the back. :rolleyes:

tayoonee 12-09-2011 04:46 PM

I suppose of course if you added a cape, you wouldn't be able to see the zipper. Lucky for me, my daughter won't need a new dress until next year! hopefully! :lol:

Czechy 12-10-2011 12:17 PM

I always put zippers in the front. Just looks better to me and the zip can be hidden by a scarf, beadwork, etc. Also, it is much easier to get the dress on or off without help. I had one or two dresses that went on over the head. Messes up the hair, lol.