Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Straight Dancing Macaw Fans Macaw Fans

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2002, 11:59 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
dancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Macaw Fans

Hi everyone,
I want to make a macaw fan for my straight suit, and I've seen a lot of guys carrying them around and I think they look real nice, but I don't know where to start. My main question is do you have to put extensions on the feathers and wrap them with thread and stuff, or can you just stick the feathers in the handle with some hanckles and stuff down at the bottom. I have five big feathers, 4 blue 1 red, they're about 17-24 in. each. Can I make a nice fan out of these?

Thanks guys
DR
dancingraccoon59 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2002, 05:26 PM   #2
SNAGgles

Arrow

You should be asking the person who sponsored you and got you initiated into the straight dance society. In reading your post, you stated that the macaw fan looks nice. You should be dressing according to your tribe. Not by what u see others wearing. Too many people are mixing things together as they see others regalia.

Its not good to just pick up of from other dancers, as they have meaning to that person and my not be meant for you. Sometimes when that happens, one may get hurt. My suggestion would be to ask the person who helped you into the arena. Perhaps its part of your tribal culture I don't know. If you are a wannabe, just to let you know that there is proper protocol to entering the arena, please have respect to our native culture and do it the correct way. I speak from experience as I have been initiated into this warrior society in Oklahoma among the elders and have there approval. I dance Northern traditional too as it is also indicative of my tribe also.

I don't mean to rag on you, just providing some information. You can take it for what it worth.

In the event I have your situation all wrong please excuse me.
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2002, 07:30 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

dancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond reputedancingraccoon59 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
SNAGs, I understand what you're saying. I'll talk to my sponsor, see whats appropriate.

DR
dancingraccoon59 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links