Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Straight Dancing Moccasins Moccasins

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Experienced

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
Savings: 0.00
Moccasins

Moccasins are perhaps one of the few dance clothes components wore by straight dancers, that still retain a great deal of tribal identity in the cut and decoration style used.

Concerning the one-piece, soft-soled Omaha moccasins, Fletcher & LaFlesche state,

“The moccasins of the Omaha were made without (separate) soles and the (beadwork) embroidery was confined to a narrow band on the top of the foot and the flap about the ankle. There was no marked difference in style between the moccasins worn by men and those which belonged to women.”
(Fletcher & LaFlesche, 1911, p. 355)

Concerning the similar one-piece soft-soled Osage moccasins made without a tongue, Alice Callahan states,

“The Osage moccasins are decorated with a single row of beads and are low-cut with two small buckskin tabs at the heel.”
(Callahan, 1990, p. 115)

Concerning the Ponca moccasins, Dr. James Howard states,

“Although soft-soled moccasins were worn by the Ponca in the early 19th century, they were abandoned in favor of hard-soled footgear sometime before 1850. The typical Ponca moccasin for the past century is of the two-piece High Plains type with hard parfleche soles and soft buckskin uppers.”
(Howard, 1965, p. 62)

The two-piece hard-soled moccasins with a tongue worn by straight dancers today fall into two categories of the type mentioned by Dr. Howard above. Either partially beaded or fully beaded. The beadwork most often is the lazy-stitch method in either case.

Among the Ponca and Osage the most common moccasins worn today are fully beaded and often times are similar to either Lakota or Cheyenne style and colors, with geometric design patterns.

Among the Comanche, partially beaded moccasins commonly referred to as “dusters” are frequently seen with their characteristic heel-fringe trailing behind the moccasin and a row of fringe or tin cones down the center of the top of the moccasin.

Callahan, Alice A.
1990. The Osage Ceremonial Dance, I’n-Lon-Schka. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, OK.

Fletcher, Alice C. and Francis LaFlesche.
1911. The Omaha Tribe. Bureau of American Ethnology, 27th Annual Report 1905-06, Smithsonian Institution, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.

Hail, Barbara N.
1980. Hau, Kola!: The Plains Indian Collection of the Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology. Brown University, Bristol, RI.

Howard, Dr. James H.
1965. The Ponca Tribe. Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin 195, Smithsonian Institution, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.

Orchard, William C.
1929. Bead and Beadwork of the American Indians. Contributions from the Museum of the American Indian, Vol. 11, Heye Foundation, New York, NY.

Stewart, Tyronne H.
1971-a. Cheyenne Moccasins, Part I. American Indian Crafts and Culture Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 8, Tulsa, OK.
1971-b. Cheyenne Moccasins, Part II. American Indian Crafts and Culture Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 9, Tulsa, OK.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Moccasins From the collections of the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.

Ponca
[Peabody Number: 985-27-10/60291A]

Ponca
[Peabody Number: 985-27-10/59399]

Otoe
[Peabody Number: 98-11-10/51844]

Sauk & Fox
[Peabody Number: 97-9-10/49911]

Sauk & Fox
[Peabody Number: 38-44-10/12785]

Delaware
[Peabody Number: 41-62-10/23539]

Cheyenne
[Peabody Number 40-39-10/19360]

Cheyenne
[Peabody Number: 985-27-10/59273]

Cheyenne
[Peabody Number: 40-39-10/19368]

Osage

Omaha

Omaha

Comanche

Comanche

Kiowa

Cheyenne

Old 03-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Experienced

Kiowa

Kiowa

Kiowa

Kiowa

Kiowa

Kiowa

Kiowa

Kiowa

Comanche

Comanche

Comanche

Comanche

Iowa

Last edited by Historian; 03-31-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Old 01-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Experienced

Old 01-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Historian

The 10th pair down in the first post you have listed as Osage. I don't buy that one. they may have been collected or donated by an Osage but I would bet money those are delaware style mocs.

We need to do some picture trading ole boy. Drop me an email if you are interested cause I have about 30 gig worth of pics from Museums, private collections, modern pieces...not to mention all the historic pics I have.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwowbum49 View Post
Historian

The 10th pair down in the first post you have listed as Osage. I don't buy that one. they may have been collected or donated by an Osage but I would bet money those are delaware style mocs.

We need to do some picture trading ole boy. Drop me an email if you are interested cause I have about 30 gig worth of pics from Museums, private collections, modern pieces...not to mention all the historic pics I have.
I think you may be right.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Experienced

Bump...

Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

1wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 361.31
the first nine pictures in your first post seem to be broken. i am really interested in seeing these. i have been under the impression that Cheyenne mocs with a lazy stick roeset on the vamp were womens mocs and and partially beaded mocs with two lanes down the front with a space in between were mens. is this not the case?

the pictures that i was able to see are very nice. i am of the opinion that one cannot have too many pictures of moccasins
1wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 85,198.26
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wolf View Post
the first nine pictures in your first post seem to be broken. i am really interested in seeing these. i have been under the impression that Cheyenne mocs with a lazy stick roeset on the vamp were womens mocs and and partially beaded mocs with two lanes down the front with a space in between were mens. is this not the case?

the pictures that i was able to see are very nice. i am of the opinion that one cannot have too many pictures of moccasins
Here is one link to the Harvard/Peabody site -

http://www.peabody.harvard.edu/collections

The search function is at upper right, just type in "moccasins"

Last edited by AmigoKumeyaay; 12-23-2012 at 08:31 PM..
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

1wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 361.31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
Here is one link to the Harvard/Peabody site -

http://pmem.unix.fas.harvard.edu:8080/peabody/view/objects/asitem/search$0040/7/title-desc?t:state:flow=5532f012-fd4e-4f03-90e0-6073ca1f4e47

Thank you!!!
1wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #11
Experienced

BUMP

Sponsored Links