Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Straight Dancing New trends in Straight Dancing New trends in Straight Dancing

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
tipis is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking New trends in Straight Dancing

What do you think is the new trends or looks in Straight Dancing? Or are the areas of the Dance Outfit you see changing?
tipis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ron S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,215.80
I noticed that the roaches are getting bigger. Not just hair length, but base length as well. The traditional 15" roach seems to be going out of style (at least in my neck of the woods) and the 18-20" roach is now not uncommon. Curious to know if this is a local trend or if this is happening everywhere.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
Its happening here too.

Something else I've noticed to is that there is a distinct division between "traditional" straight dancers and "contemporary" straight dancers simply by the way one dresses.
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #4
tx straight dancer

rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,469.70
Define The Difference Between Traditional And Comtemporay WHAT SET THEM APART
rodond is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
Blacksmith

Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,702.79
I don't necessarily agree with some of the powwow trends, but what I see in New Mexico is green dayglo colors being used. I see more otter headgear; perhaps it's easier to put on and remove than is a roach. Single arm ribbons used to be about a foot long, maybe 1¼" wide. Now, we have narrower,multiple strands, 1½ feet long or longer. The multi-colored deer hair on roaches is in, and I think it's here to stay. Ralph Hammond at the recent Gathering had new (?) floral beaded aprons. This is old timey, but others may follow suit. It seems like more vests are being worn nowadays, and I've seen a couple of dancers with colored head scarves.
Gledanh Zhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
Some Kinda Monster

Str8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 919.64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gledanh Zhinga
what I see in New Mexico is green dayglo colors being used.
Oh yeah, some of these cats are WAY over the top.... and sparkly stuff everywhere! sheesh.... I've seen chicks in fully sequined and rhinestoned fancy shawl outfits who sparkle less than some of these NM day-glo "straight" dancers..... The amount of neon and sparkles some of these guys have is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the dance and its meanings.

Quote:
I see more otter headgear; perhaps it's easier to put on and remove than is a roach.
Yup.... or, like has been mentioned for California, most of them just think it looks "keen" like neon and sparkles, and again don't know what these hats mean or who has the rigbht to wear one.

Another thing I've noticed in NM and AZ is the shoulder fan on the left shoulder - again, some of these guys just picked it up as a style without understanding the meaning behind that.

Quote:
Single arm ribbons used to be about a foot long, maybe 1¼" wide. Now, we have narrower,multiple strands, 1½ feet long or longer.
OK, I've gotta confess to this one, I've got some LONG ribbons from my armbands and bandoliers. So I'm not pretending to be above any scrutiny here, but at least I don't have DAY-GLO SPARKLY RHINESTONE STUDDED ribbons hangin down! haha.

One final thing I've noticed, again more in NM and AZ is the use of applique (often with sparkly, metallic material or neon colors) instead of real ribbonwork. COME ON MAN! CUT AND FOLD! It ain't that hard, really. And some dudes have applique that's like 6 inches wide on both sides of their aprons! sheesh..... just outta hand.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
At one time, red or dark blue broadcloth was considered traditional, and the new colors of broadcloth that appeared in the 1990s, like yellow, turquoise, green, etc., was considered a new trend. However, are the new colors still considered a new trend, or have they "become" a standard tradition.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,633.21
I would like to echo some of these observations. I kinda like the broadcloth colors though I would'nt get into this scene.

I do have a long wider roach, 22". I got it back in 1990. I stilll have my 15" roach as well as my turbin, which I've had for yrs. My father had his and I still wear mine on occassions.

I have a blue broadcloth suit with old time beadwork in place of ribbon work. I still have my Osage ribbon work on a blue and red set.

I like to see the matching head scarves coming back. I have seen some though some were neon. My ribbons on my arm bands are the smaller sort and color coordinated with the scarves and shirt.

I not very keen on all of the greatly bright colors(neons etc). I still like the more subtle shirts such as the calacos we wore in the 60's and 70's.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #9
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
Looking at photos onthe galleries, I noticed that many straight dancers are wearing either beaded or German silver cuffs. Is this one of those new trends too?
Privateer6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #10
Blacksmith

Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,702.79
I've not seen German silver cuffs, but I have seen wide bracelets worn over the shirt cuffs. The beaded cuffs are more popular than they used to be. Colonel Moore, Pawnee, had some nice, beaded cuffs that he wore in the 1960s.
Gledanh Zhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2006, 05:44 PM   #11
Beadboy

_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,860.56
I have noticed Breastplates being worn more offtened.

Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.

"Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

“We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear
_wuliechsin_ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
Teen Dancer

apacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

...lotsa paisleys and Chinese silk shirts with oriental designs on them,like dragons ,tigers and flowers.....I think it's pretty cool if you coordinate it right.keep smilin'1
apacheheart is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipis View Post
What do you think is the new trends or looks in Straight Dancing? Or are the areas of the Dance Outfit you see changing?

Big Beaded Cuffs!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

pawtoeman has a reputation beyond repute
pawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond reputepawtoeman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 130.00
My opinion and mine only. You folks talk about NM/AZ and Ca. people straight dancers that use all these bright and shine. wide desighs, shoulder feathers, hop/skipping dance steps, touching the ground w/dance stick, making a complete circle around their dance stick and all the other additives.
These people in my opinion should have traveled to Oklahoma watched, asked questions to learn just what the dance is all about and the proper style of dance clothes.
I have been invited to go out that way to dance especially at the Large, Money pow-wows because some like the way I dance but I dance from the heart at all dances not just contest pow-wows when I do dance. Besides, with all the flash-n-dash, I would look out of place.
Even around Oklahoma, dancers are putting on flash!
Some of my shirts are bright but no flash and neon's, those that know me if you see or think I have too much flash, please let me know. I Try hard not to get flashy.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #15
Tiny Tot Dancer

osagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,952.90
One trend that I'm noticing is seeing more mirror boards. I grew up carrying one while I danced, and always looked for them, didn't see too many of them.

They weren't very common, growing up in the 80's and 90's. Mostly utilized by young boys. Now i'm starting to see more of them.

Everyone seems to know about the 'tail stick' and how you were only to dance with one if given that right, but hardly anyone practices that way.

Just my perspective.
osagesooner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #16
Junior Dancer

Ivanasnagu is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawtoeman View Post
My opinion and mine only. You folks talk about NM/AZ and Ca. people straight dancers that use all these bright and shine. wide desighs, shoulder feathers, hop/skipping dance steps, touching the ground w/dance stick, making a complete circle around their dance stick and all the other additives.

Shoot, that's just not happening in NM/AZ and Cali - that's happening all over the place including here at home(Okla). Having brothers and uncles that straight dance and being raised east of 35 and north of I-40, I know good, old style straight dance. I just can't hang with the contemporary stuff. I'm talking sparkly shirts, bear claw necklaces (with no idea why they are wearing one except to look keen), roach/turbine combos, rhinestone studded mocs, skipping, otter flying, etc. For a lot of guys, it truly is "all about money" and that's too bad. It's a sell out. Instead of putting emphasis on their own tribal dances (which most don't even dance at or attend) and learning from the real deal. Seems like anything goes. I'm hoping the big paying powwows start splitting straight dance into old style and contemporary categories. Maybe if they did more men like Pawtoeman would travel more. Having said all this it sure makes me greatful that there are still some keeping it real.
Ivanasnagu is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanasnagu View Post
Shoot, that's just not happening in NM/AZ and Cali - that's happening all over the place including here at home(Okla). Having brothers and uncles that straight dance and being raised east of 35 and north of I-40, I know good, old style straight dance. I just can't hang with the contemporary stuff. I'm talking sparkly shirts, bear claw necklaces (with no idea why they are wearing one except to look keen), roach/turbine combos, rhinestone studded mocs, skipping, otter flying, etc. For a lot of guys, it truly is "all about money" and that's too bad. It's a sell out. Instead of putting emphasis on their own tribal dances (which most don't even dance at or attend) and learning from the real deal. Seems like anything goes. I'm hoping the big paying powwows start splitting straight dance into old style and contemporary categories. Maybe if they did more men like Pawtoeman would travel more. Having said all this it sure makes me greatful that there are still some keeping it real.

At least there is more than one of us that feel this way!! The only problem with seperating the category is who is the deciding vote on what is old school and what is contemporary. Most of the dancers (you know who I am talking about) feel that they are old school. When they had the "Championship" at Comanche most of the old schoolers were really contemporary (flash and dash) - so a bunch of the real straight dancers moved to the contemporary bunch - just to place. In fact the first year a contemporary style dancer won the dang thing! So who is gonna cast the deciding rule.......committees and ADs don't seem to be up for it. Know what I mean?
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
its to cold up here

legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
Turbans and Such

Ok, I am not an Okie and live way up north but there are a number of straight dancers here, and it is picking up steam.
I see the otter turban thing a lot- but it is traditional headgear for some of the tribes up here, and yes it is a whole lot easier to get on and off than a roach. You also periodically see fellas in a top hat or bowler that has been beaded. Not sure where that comes from although I have seen some old pictures where folks are wearing them, but not to dance in.
Yes, the ribbons on the armbands are getting longer, mine are about 18 inches and some of the older fellas tell me they are to long.
I have also seen more guys with the headscarves on this year than in the past.
And yes, no one seems to comply with the rule that only tail dancers should have tail sticks.
Has any noticed that people are carrying more hand ornaments- I keep it simple either mirrorboard or tailstick in one hand, fan in the other. But I have seen folks carrying 2 fans, a tail stick and a mirrorboard, a pouch and a hankie.
Also with the ribbon work- cut and fold ain't that hard, but if you can't do it find someone that can.
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 AM   #19
Junior Dancer

Ivanasnagu is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstraightdancrs View Post

At least there is more than one of us that feel this way!! The only problem with seperating the category is who is the deciding vote on what is old school and what is contemporary. Most of the dancers (you know who I am talking about) feel that they are old school. When they had the "Championship" at Comanche most of the old schoolers were really contemporary (flash and dash) - so a bunch of the real straight dancers moved to the contemporary bunch - just to place. In fact the first year a contemporary style dancer won the dang thing! So who is gonna cast the deciding rule.......committees and ADs don't seem to be up for it. Know what I mean?

Gah Luvs you pose a tough question. That's just crazy that the Championship at Comanche was all flopped around. I personally think the solution would be to have old men straight dancers as the judges. I really wish the judges at powwows were selected on their knowledge of the specific dance they are judging. I think sometimes results would be different.
Ivanasnagu is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #20
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanasnagu View Post
Gah Luvs you pose a tough question. That's just crazy that the Championship at Comanche was all flopped around. I personally think the solution would be to have old men straight dancers as the judges. I really wish the judges at powwows were selected on their knowledge of the specific dance they are judging. I think sometimes results would be different.
I totally agree with the idea of getting some old schoolers to be the deciding factor. They at least know what the dance is supposed to look like. Just wish that someone would take the incentive to say "I'm sorry but I think you are more contemp than old school".
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links