PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Straight Dancing (http://forums.powwows.com/f13/)
-   -   Non dancing during Victory song (http://forums.powwows.com/f13/non-dancing-during-victory-song-68516/)

Gledanh Zhinga 04-22-2014 10:44 AM

Non dancing during Victory song

Many straight dancers do not dance in place during the Victory song at the opening of powwows. I'm curious as to your reasons. I have my own idea on this, but I wanted to hear from others.

milehighsalute 04-22-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gledanh Zhinga (Post 1597175)
Many straight dancers do not dance in place during the Victory song at the opening of powwows. I'm curious as to your reasons. I have my own idea on this, but I wanted to hear from others.

i would like to hear it also

Josiah 04-22-2014 05:57 PM

Because the war is not over...

milehighsalute 05-15-2014 07:23 PM

yes....most stand in place......alot of newer dancers will dance though

WhoMe 05-16-2014 11:58 AM

Dancing in place during a victory/veterans song is something fairly new and not apart of straight dance/Helushka culture.

Berry Picker 08-19-2014 11:39 PM

I think Josiah says it best.

Although, round here, dancing in place seems to be encouraged. I've always wondered about it.

It would be so good to get out west again. Just for help remembering "how things are/were." 20 years is a long time to be away. I find myself looking forward to the local boyscout southern protocol pws because they tend to be the least mixed up with their styles - comparatively. So, it helps me to remember. The old saying is true "if you don't use it, you lose it."

Gledanh Zhinga, I'd like you hear your thoughts on this.

alumphfres 08-20-2014 02:01 PM

Observation - dancing in place during the Victory song seems to be common place at Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla, Grand Ronde, Siletz and Yakima Tribal powwows… Don't remember what we did at Oglala.

milehighsalute 08-28-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alumphfres (Post 1605206)
Observation - dancing in place during the Victory song seems to be common place at Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla, Grand Ronde, Siletz and Yakima Tribal powwows… Don't remember what we did at Oglala.

most northern tribes do......southern straight dont for the most part....like i said very few, and many of them are younger

AmigoKumeyaay 08-28-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gledanh Zhinga (Post 1597175)

At Pala Powwow this past weekend, MC Reuben Little Head asked publicly your very question.

This was after the Saturday Grand Entry Victory Song.

Reuben said he would be curious to hear each dancer's reasons, if they could stop by the MC booth.

(Maybe this is why a round dance is chosen at some powwows?)

Gledanh Zhinga 09-25-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berry Picker (Post 1605151)
I think Josiah says it best.

Although, round here, dancing in place seems to be encouraged. I've always wondered about it.

It would be so good to get out west again. Just for help remembering "how things are/were." 20 years is a long time to be away. I find myself looking forward to the local boyscout southern protocol pws because they tend to be the least mixed up with their styles - comparatively. So, it helps me to remember. The old saying is true "if you don't use it, you lose it."

Gledanh Zhinga, I'd like you hear your thoughts on this.

Berry Picker wanted my take on it. In the Ponca way, at least, you don't stand up very much in the circle, let alone dance in place. Standing up is for prayer and preparing to exit the hethuska circle during the last song. Who Me has it correct in his response. In addition, the victory songs were traditionally a part of the scalp dance in many tribes, and this is a woman's dance.

Having said that, I've borne the flag at powwows, and in that role, I do dance in place.

WhoMe 09-25-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gledanh Zhinga (Post 1608349)
Who Me has it correct in his response.

YAAAAAAY. What do I win?

Berry Picker 09-30-2014 09:25 PM

Gledanh Zhinga, thanks for your response.

Fat Albert 10-30-2014 12:16 AM

Not sure this will work.... been a lot of years since I have added anything here. New computer so maybe I can respond where the last one wouldn't let me. Anyways, in my limited experience, it seems that at dances when a victory song is lead out while the flags are still in everyone dances in place and watches the flags come around and out to be posted. Seems to me if people get moving it has more to do with the head dancers (kinda a when in Rome thing). I think a song like that should be danced but maybe people hold back because of the flags being taken out? That in itself can be quite a production. As for vet songs is there any particular reason folks dance them and end facing the drum and dance in place if the drum throws out another? I only really see this at the end of a dance and to me seems again to depend on the head man/ lady. Hope everyone is doing well.

AmigoKumeyaay 11-02-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amigokumeyaay (Post 1605893)
at pala powwow this past weekend, mc reuben little head asked publicly your very question.

This was after the saturday grand entry victory song.

Reuben said he would be curious to hear each dancer's reasons, if they could stop by the mc booth.

(maybe this is why a round dance is chosen at some powwows?)

what i have filmed -

victory song - not all people dance, southern straight are majority of non-dancers

victory song - eagle staff & colors are danced around the outer edge of the cirlce, while dancers are in place

no victory song - just a round dance -

(if too many dancers in circle, the dancers start forming into clumps, like cheerios cereal clinging to each other in the bowl lol....some people just cant side-step very fast, and they "clog up the lanes"....

Anyways, just an observation