Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Straight Dancing Otters plain or decorated Otters plain or decorated

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Blacksmith

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,702.79
Savings: 0.00
Otters plain or decorated

Otters plain or decorated? I have a feeling that some of them are intentionally left plain.
Gledanh Zhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Cherokee/Seneca/Baby

ADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gledanh Zhinga View Post
Otters plain or decorated? I have a feeling that some of them are intentionally left plain.
Personally I think the otter can be too decorated. I like to seem them with a few rossettes or a loom beaded strip down the center, mirrors, conchos. Mine right now is plain. The next one I may have a nice small loom beaded strip and two rossettes.

I've seen a lot of men put military patches, pins on their otters. Sometimes it looks good. Sometimes it's just like "woah".
ADcRezFamily is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Eater of all frybread!!

Fat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,435.60
Savings: 1.00
When I am done with mine it will have 2 gourd stitched rosettes and some feathers and that is about it. Simple is the best I think. Some get so complicated it hurts! I was once told the only 'important' decoration one should have on their otter was a fluff mounted on the bottom.
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
I was taught that otter designs should be simple but meaningful. Some examples include:

A couple of beaded rossettes, perhaps matching the color and design of the beaded rosettes used on the shoulder scarves.

Perhaps a special feather, pair of feathers, or strip of loom beadwork between the two rosettes.

Perhaps the set of military service ribbons of the dancer, on the top of the otter, just below the point of the scarf.

Perhaps a significant miltitary service medal (i.e. purple heart, bronze star, combat infantryman badge) that the dancer was awarded, pinned in the middle of the otter.

Most times, the ribbon binding on the edges of the otter should be in the same color and pattern of the broadcloth aprons, dance trailer and leggings.

As Fat Albert has pointed out, I was also taught that an eagle breath plume should be placed on the bottom tip of the otter, in such a way so as not to touch the ground however.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2007, 03:16 AM   #5
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,633.21
Savings: 1.00
I have 2 otters that I use. I have an otter that is part of a set that I was honored with by an elder relative prior to his passing. This otter has matching beadwork down the sides and 2"(?) silver plates down the center. My other otter is plain, though sometimes I will wear an Eagle feather in the center, I do also have ribbon work down the sides. Both otters are attached to blue pendleton trade cloth. The stripes are still attached to the ends. I attach the otters with a scarf through loop sewn in the top.