Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Straight Dancing Straight Dance Bells: double or single wrap? Straight Dance Bells: double or single wrap?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
NativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 662.20
Savings: 0.00
Question Straight Dance Bells: double or single wrap?

What do you prefer? Dance Bells on leather straps that wrap once or twice around your leg? Do you like to fasten them with buckles or leather lacing?

My son danced for the first time several weeks ago and was constantly retying his garters and bells to keep them from sliding down. His bells were the last item we made for his regalia and the day before we left we put together a Missouri River Deluxe Straight Dance Bell kit from Crazy Crow. I followed the directions exactly (actually allowed 5" extra for growth) and ended up with leather straps too short for buckles; we used leather lacing to fasten the double wrapped bells. So now I need to fix them or start over. I used pop rivets to fasten the beehive bells and can't get them off without damaging them, but I'm willing to buy new bells if necessary to get some bells that will stay up comfortably.
NativeBoy'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Savings: 1.00
I asked a lot of dancers this same question when I was thinking about switching to straight dancing and was told its really a matter of personal preference. A few did tell me by putting them together on one long strip of leather and doing the double wrap they would slide less. I chose to do the double wrap and use laces to tie them on, haven't had any problems with them sliding at all.

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
its to cold up here

legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
my experience has been counter to fanmakers.... single wrap with buckles slides far less than my old wrap arounds. But, I will say I use 3 small buckles on straps so you can contour the tightness to your upper calf, which was always the problem with my strap bells.
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

NativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond reputeNativeBoy'sMom has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 662.20
Double wrap tied with thong works very well.

We ended up keeping the double wrapped leather with riveted bells and use a heavy duty thong to tie. I think it works better than the buckles would have since it's more adjustable and not as bulky. I think it looks better too: not so modern-looking.

On one end of the leather I drilled two holes. I threaded the thong through these holes so that half hangs from each hole. I leave this thong threaded through these holes even when we remove the bells. On the other end of the belt, I drilled a series of holes about 1/2-inch apart. When we put the bells on, we wrap them twice around his upper calf, pull them tight, overlap the ends of the leather, and thread each end of the thong through the holes that line up and make a bow knot.

It works great!
NativeBoy'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,977.76
pueblos also wear them around waist.....so do some apaches......but i think its only when they fancydance or hoop dance
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links