Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OSHOTCAW

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Straight Dancing tab leggings tab leggings

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
bowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,783.47
Savings: 0.00
tab leggings

In the old days Kiowa, Apache,Comanche, Southern Cheyenne and maybe some others wore green and yellow clothing. Now, they wear white and straight dancers wear white tab leggings. Would it be proper to wear green and yellow leggings with fringe all along the side instead of tab leggings. The person who educates me and is traditional says he is not a powwow person.
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
tx straight dancer

rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,469.70
what tribe are you building your dance clothes after,there are difference in each of the tribes you mentioned . go back in the straight dance treads there is several about legging
rodond is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

tab leggings

I guess I should have said I already have the green and yellow leggings. I don't think I have ever seen a Kiowa/Commanche/Southern Cheyenne in anything except white tab leggings for straight dance, so I thought I should check to see if white tab leggings are required for Kiowa/Comanche/Southern Cheyenne straight dancers. I do not know my tribe. My grandfather from Kansas said we are part Indian and that is about all he knew. I thought I would dress southern plains style, since I am in Texas and tribes from up north like the Cheyenne adopted southern plains ways when they moved south. I have looked at quite a few threads like a good one from Historian about straight dance leggings around 2010. He shows two old sets of green and yellow leggings, but does not say if they can be worn nowadays in straight dance. I have done searches on "Kiowa leggings" and "Comanche leggings" and seen a set of Kiowa leggings that are yellow with green fringes. My educator is Cheyenne and I got my leggings from him. They are green with yellow fringe.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
tx straight dancer

rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
There are no set rules on what you can wear each tribe has it own style that they may or may no wear, that being said i have a set of white tabs a set of canvas tabs a buckskin brown set and a set of tradewool that i wear. The best advice i can give you is research what tribal preference you want and build your dance clothes from there BY THE WAY WHAT PART OF TEXAS YOU IN

Last edited by rodond; 07-24-2011 at 12:10 PM..
Old 07-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

leggings

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions. I live in Austin, Texas.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

leggings

I live in Austin, Texas. Thank you for taking time to answer my questions.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
tx straight dancer

it use to be that you tell what tribe a person was from just looking at them, today it seem there is a lot of mixing and matching so you can wear what you want in the powwow world
Old 07-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

leggings

I have yellow moccasins with fringe over the top part part of my foot and two narrow lanes of beadwork with no tails and no fringe in back and I am guessing they are Kiowa since they are from Anadarko.

The leggings are generic Southern plains, green with long yellow fringe.

I have done gourd stitch on my roach spreader socket cylinder and fan handle.

My belt is dark brown leather with brass spots which I have seen is a common type of belt for Comanche.

I have German silver armbands and conches on my otter.

Most of my knowlege comes from a Cheyenne.

If you looked at all of that, what tribe would you call it? Kiowa maybe?

Maybe I'll see you at the Austin pow wow.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
tx straight dancer

mostly mixed western olkie
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

Thank you for answering my questions. You got two posts from me because I didn't realize the first one went through. I guess it's better to be mixed olkie than a mixed up okie, but if I was going to build my regalia to be Comanche since they were near Austin what changes/additions would you suggest? I don't think I know any Comanches to ask.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
tx straight dancer

your close enough now,the reason most straight dancers wear white legging is because they go with whatever color you want to wear most dancers will change in between each dance session have different looks/color each time
Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
bow,

If the person that educates you is Cheyenne, call your leggings Cheyenne, NOT Comanche or Kiowa.

Most traditional straight dancers prefer not mix tribal clothing.

Last edited by WhoMe; 07-26-2011 at 02:24 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
tx straight dancer

do what ?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

tab leggings

Thank you everyone who helped me with information about straight dance leggings. I cannot think of anything else that needs to be said.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

OSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,613.36
Smile Tab Leggings

Well from all the research I have done all three tribes used some sort of tab legging. They also used a blue green dye on leather to get that greenish blueish color on the leggings. Depending on the lane stitch you do and the pattern and design of the bead work would make it tribe specific. Also alot of Cheyenne leggings have scalps as fringe. They also had a sort of flap legging. Pictures are under.
OSHOTCAW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

OSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond reputeOSHOTCAW has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,613.36
Smile Tab Leggings

Cheyenne Tab Leggings

Cheyenne Flap Leggings

Now Kiowa mainly did tab leggings. They also use green and blue dyes.

Kiowa Tab Leggings

Comanche Leggings

Kiowa or Comanche
Itzhecatl likes this.

Last edited by OSHOTCAW; 03-18-2012 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Needed to add more pictures
OSHOTCAW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

tab leggings

Thank you for posting so many great pictures. After seeing them, I think my leggings look like Cheyenne leggings, which I should have guessed away, because the person I got them from is Cheyenne! One reason I posted was because I thought wearing colored leggings might have been some sort of recognition for a warrior and I wasn't sure if I was entitled to wear them if that makes sense. Also, I noticed that most people at pow wows were wearing white leggings. The answer seems to be that it doesn't matter nowadays if you wear white, green, or yellow leggings to a pow wow. Please, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Awesome pics!

Session 1 Game 2 Number 17

N 32 Under the "N" Thirty-two
Old 05-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
Please keep in mind that in the photo examples, there was a mixture of Northern Cheyenne style leggings (primarily from Montana), and Southern Cheyenne style leggings (primarily from Oklahoma), which are very different in style. In addition, the last photo example is a pair of women's leggings.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links