Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Straight Dancing Trying to get to know one another better. Trying to get to know one another better.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,939.03
Savings: 0.00
Trying to get to know one another better.

Don't get me wrong but, I was wondering, just out of curiousty, how many Boy Scout and Boy Scout Leader's post regularly on this forum?

Because, when I read these post's they are very informative. And, I try to get an ideal of the person doing the posting by reading their avatar and they don't always list being a member of a tribe.

I mean we are who we are, that is the way God made us. And, a lot of times it seems a though the person making a post with no tribal identity on their avatar knows more about any given situation than most. And, I guess I'm trying to get an ideal of how much of what I read is written information and how much of it is oral information.

Thank you and God bless you!

Last edited by wa-zha-zhe; 05-22-2007 at 04:00 PM..
wa-zha-zhe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2007, 12:28 AM   #2
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Wa zha zhe

Are you wanting everyone to list their pedigree for you? Many folks on this board want anonymity (though few really have any on here) so they come up with screen names that are vague and do not list where they are from or even if they are native. Many member register multiple time under various names for this same reason, so good luck getting many folks to fess up.

Since I list myself in a vague manner I suppose I might fit your query. I will tell you about me so you no longer have to wonder. I was a scout for a time of my life, I even earned the rank of Eagle Scout, but about 20+ years ago I got out of scouting cause I joined the military and I never got active again after I left the service. I list myself as Heinz 57 cause I am just that. My ancestry is German, English, Irish, Norwegian, French Cherokee and Mataponie/Pawmunkee or in other words ...a mutt. l have been powwowin for 30+ years now and have talked to many people over the years about what goes on at powwows and why things are done the way they are. I have also read many books on native subjects...some I found informative and some I found ridiculous.

So with all that said maybe now you can decide how you will take what I have to say on here. Just one question for you though...if you want to know if someone read something or was told it...why not just ask them. Most people on here are just posting their personal opinion anyway.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,633.21
Savings: 1.00
When I was a boy, I was a Boy Scout. When I was older I helped with some of the Boy Scout Troops in the areas I lived. I know of many NDN people who were Scouts and leaders. I don't guess I was a very good Scout because I didn't make it to Eagle Scout.

Remember that the oldest Boy Scout unit in the USA is or at least was in Pawhuska and was an NDN Boy Scout Troop. This was our own Osage people.

Last edited by CHEROSAGE; 05-23-2007 at 12:39 AM..
CHEROSAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ron S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,215.80
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEROSAGE View Post
......I don't guess I was a very good Scout because I didn't make it to Eagle Scout.
Don't be so sure of that. I know a lot of darn fine Scouts that never made it to Eagle. I also know a few Eagles that aren't worth their salt. Not knowing you personally, but judging by the things you say, I'd be willing to bet you're one of the good ones.
Ron
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
Senior Dancer

wa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond repute
I have nothing against Boy Scouts or Boy Scout Leaders. I should have came out and asked directly if those posting are tribal members or not. That is what I was trying to ask. Forgive me for trying to beat around the bush.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
PowWows.com Addicts

Furiously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond repute
Furiously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 450.31
Cool

I started Boy Scouts......didn't advance any----guess I'm still a "Tender Foot"! Ayes....ennit???
Old 05-24-2007, 01:09 AM   #7
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
May I start a new catagory called Tribal Scouts, this could also include Gril Scouts I suppose?

I could be called multiTribal.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
Senior Dancer

Quote:
May I start a new catagory called Tribal Scouts, this could also include Gril Scouts I suppose?

I could be called multiTribal.
Why not, by all means! Go for it, Bob! I'm sure it would catch on.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
str8slide

rezcar3 has a reputation beyond repute
rezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,045.99
i was raised on the rez and didnt have access to things like the scouts. But, as adults, my brother and i moved to the city and were made scoutmaster and an assistant scout master in our NDN church congregation. the "blind" leading NDN SCOUTS.
rezcar3 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
Blacksmith

Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,702.79
On February 23, 2007 I responded to a February 2, post by Whome regarding "white bashing" in the "powwows.com," "powwow talk" forum. I talked about my whiteyness, which is Irish and English inherited.

In 1949, I learned bogus dancing in the Scouts in St. Louis, MO, at the age of 13. Even at that age, I knew something was wrong, because we used drum signals like the Aztecs; no singing. The dances were choreographed, even the "war dance". It wasn't free-form.

I never lost interest, however. I started going to rez powwows in the 1950's, and I've been at it ever since.

I never made it past 2nd class in the BSA.

P.S. Three wa-zha-zhe dancers were present at the last Ponca hethushka, I believe all from the Pawhuska district.

Since I've been in and near the circle so long, a lot of what I post in the forum is from oral transmissions. Because I'm white does not mean that it all comes from books, magazines, and the Order of the Arrow.

Last edited by Gledanh Zhinga; 05-27-2007 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: addition
Gledanh Zhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #11
Senior Dancer

Thank you, Gledanh Zhinga!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:35 AM   #12
cherosage

What if their called NDN Scouts?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #13
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80,176.34
Quote:
What if their called NDN Scouts?
Hey Bob , My G-Grampa was an ndn scout , made sgt. ! LOL

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2007, 05:02 PM   #14
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
Im a Proud native mama of two scouts! they love it and im glad I let them join they have already been several places made gobs of friends and always have a huge smile on thier face. Yeah Ive seen some lame stuff and I have no problems saying so . Ive been asked to help on better understanding our native ways and we as a family dress'd for them and they really seem'd to enjoy hearing us talk.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #15
Pow Wow Committee

Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
I want to come in and say thank-you to the mystery repper!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:06 AM   #16
cherosage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Hey Bob , My G-Grampa was an ndn scout , made sgt. ! LOL
I had some G?-grandpa's and G?-Uncles as NDN scouts in the Civil War Don't think they made Sgt or anything. 2 were in the Ross's units. I was told that 1 of my G?-Grandpa's was a Chicasaw horse soldier but I think they had lived on the TX side of the river. I think history is very interesting.

Hey EaglePlumes: I know that when I was a scout I too got to go to many places that I probably would never have been able to go to other wise. At least until I went into the Army. My sons were both in the scouts and were able to travel. I personally think that it is a very good thing. I too try to aid the troops in our area as they need or request assistance. Not sure just how much help I'm really able to give them, but I try.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:23 AM   #17
Pow Wow Committee

for the last two years we have went to the circus totally free and with good seats . I had never been before so I myself was seeing it for the first time myself. We have went to science musems, the bass pro shop in springfield to sleep in front of their huge tank my middle woke in the nite looked directly up and saw a huge shark over him. He asked his daddy, daddy how thik do you supose that glass is? my husband reply'd oh son I figure its thick--enough lol he said ok and rolled over. What really tuggs at my heart is some of the boys that really need family, they need to see what happons at their home is not the norm. There is one young man who will be 10 soon and his mother remarried and her husband has not accecpted this child so therefore he has quite a few issues going on , the gramma now has him and put him in scouts beacause she fears of what path this kiddo will take, he is so full of anger, his "half" brother get's to do any sport activity he wants and gets whatever he wants whail this boy gets nothing but mean words and abuse. They team him up alot with my oldest he has a way with other kids I cannot explain but he has a true gift, this kid hauled off and punched my boy in the stomach and all he did was say mama its ok I know deep down he diddnt mean it. Now they are great friends and he is starting to bloom into a fine young man. He has alot of positve male rolemodles and thats exactly what he need's as does several boys ive seen.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #18
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ron S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,215.80
Eagle Plumes,
Your quite welcome. It's nice to see the Scouts get credit for the things they do well. When your boys are old enough, make sure they get to Philmont Scout Ranch in the four corners area of New Mexico. It's incredible.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #19
Tiny Tot Dancer

Travis will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Charles Eastman, an Indian, helped found the Boy Scouts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Eastman
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #20
Dances with Lead Foot

Sleeping Bear has a reputation beyond repute
Sleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Bear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,541.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Charles Eastman, an Indian, helped found the Boy Scouts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Eastman
I did not know that! Thank you!