Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Straight Dancing Trying to get to know one another better. Trying to get to know one another better.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 10:43 PM   #21
Experienced

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
Savings: 0.00
Has anyone ever heard of The American Indian Scouting Association?

The AISA and its seminar is a joint venture with the Boy Scouts of America and Girl Scouts of the USA.

They strive ...
*To help adults who are responsible for administration as well as troop leaders to develop their talents through Scouting to better serve American Indian youth.
*To help youth recognize their talents and capabilities through Girl Scouting or Boy Scouting and to serve their communities.
*To exchange ideas about successful Girl Scouting and Boy Scouting programs for American Indian youth.
*To help youths of all tribes and cultures learn by association to appreciate the wide differences of people of Indian heritage.

What they do ...
AISA conducts an annual seminar hosted by a local tribe or American Indian community. This seminar attracts both Indian and non-Indian representatives from Boy Scout and Girl Scout councils across the country. Highlights of the seminar include:

*Parade of traditional clothing
*Pow-wow with music and dancing
*Visit with host tribe
*Events/workshops for adults and youth

Their history ...
The American Indian Relationships Committee of the Boy Scouts of America was formed in 1956 to advise and assist in reaching a maximum number of American Indian youth and leaders with a quality Scouting program. In 1957, the committee launched an annual seminar that is held in a different part of the country each year. As the seminar grew, a volunteer steering committee was formed and is now responsible for planning and implementing the annual seminar.

Girl Scout leaders began to participate in 1964, and in 1969, GSUSA assigned a national advisor at the request of Indian participants. The seminars then became a joint venture of Boy Scouts of America and Girl Scouts of the USA in the interest of American Indian youth.

In 1975, 12 year old through 17 year old youth were included as seminar participants. Since then, a part of each seminar program has been designed specifically for youth.

50th Annual American Indian Boy Scouting/Girl Scouting Seminar
WHERE: East Central University - Ada, Oklahoma
WHEN: July 7-11, 2007
WHO: American Indian and non-Indian adult volunteers, staff, and Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts, ages 12-18.

For more information go to:
http://aisa.scoutreachbsa.org/

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Last edited by Historian; 06-03-2007 at 10:47 PM..
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #22
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,633.21
Savings: 1.00
Thanks, Historian, I didn't know anything about this organization. I wish they were around here when I was in Scouting. Really, there aren't many NDN families in our area, so they probably wouldn't be able to help us out much.

Hey EaglePlume: Our dance is July 20-22 here is Sedalia MO. We do have plenty of camping space for everyone. Come on over and have fun. Remember to have fun and relax.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #23
Beadworker

BeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
I too was a very active scout as a youth. I now serve as an adult administrative volunteer (I sit in dumb meetings and raise money). I unfortunately see many young boys like the ones Eagle Plume described. These kids will NEVER be class president, captain of the football team, or validictorian, but they can become Eagle Scouts and that is a tremendous accomplishment for any young person.

My opinion is the scouts need to get out of the playing Indian business. It does not fit well with their mission but it is a sacred cow that stubborn ignorant hobbyists will fight to the death to keep alive and well in the scouting program. Indian Lore merit badge should be abolished. There are some tremendous alternative that would better serve this nitche, such as American Cultures, American Heritage, Geneology, Art, etc.

So yes it is a great organization but it is far from perfect I agree. AISA, in my opinion, does not do crap for the Indian community in Scouting. But I won't get into all the details about that.

Good Thread!
BeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #24
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMan View Post
I too was a very active scout as a youth. I now serve as an adult administrative volunteer (I sit in dumb meetings and raise money). I unfortunately see many young boys like the ones Eagle Plume described. These kids will NEVER be class president, captain of the football team, or validictorian, but they can become Eagle Scouts and that is a tremendous accomplishment for any young person.

My opinion is the scouts need to get out of the playing Indian business. It does not fit well with their mission but it is a sacred cow that stubborn ignorant hobbyists will fight to the death to keep alive and well in the scouting program. Indian Lore merit badge should be abolished. There are some tremendous alternative that would better serve this nitche, such as American Cultures, American Heritage, Geneology, Art, etc.

So yes it is a great organization but it is far from perfect I agree. AISA, in my opinion, does not do crap for the Indian community in Scouting. But I won't get into all the details about that.

Good Thread!
very well said. The young'n I was talking baout is doing very well, we are working on the fits of rage he has and He always brings his patch's to my husband and I to sew on lord knows if his mama gets ahold of them she will loose them and his gramma who he lives with can barely see so I have no problem doing this for him its about the only tiem I see true happness on this chids face is when he has earned something. I give him alot of praise and encourage others to do so as well.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:42 AM   #25
me

bob smiley is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 721.19
I firmly believe in the values and principles of scouting. And for once its good to see people acknowledging this. Too many times scouts in general get lumped in with the OA. The OA is founded on good intentions (service to scouting and the community) but seem to sometimes get lost. Eagleplumes, its people like you and your family that make scouting a success. Ya'll are greatly appreciated.
bob smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #26
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob smiley View Post
I firmly believe in the values and principles of scouting. And for once its good to see people acknowledging this. Too many times scouts in general get lumped in with the OA. The OA is founded on good intentions (service to scouting and the community) but seem to sometimes get lost. Eagleplumes, its people like you and your family that make scouting a success. Ya'll are greatly appreciated.
Thank-You for you kind words. Speaking of being lost my 7 yr old got seperated from his group yesterday at scout daycamp and they couldnt find him for 5 minutes! he was in a sea of blue shirts "they all wear their day camp T-shirts" HIs adult partner walked away without my son. Thats the whole idea of having parents assigned to a certain group! BUt he went to the first person he knew and said I cant find my group.And the guy took my son back. So this morning I talked to this gentleman and thanked him for helping my son. I also had a bit of a chat with the "man" who was not watching my son. BUt all is well today is BB gun day and some other crafts so he was ready to go early this morning. Yesterday was beading and archery wich both my sons got a bulls eye. They proudly brought me their targets.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #27
Teen Dancer

travelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
travelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I have to agree with beadmans post. He and I have worked many of times, and we sure have seen some crazy stuff. But that aside, scouts is a great program, and it helped me alot.

I got started in powwowing because of scouts and so have many many other people. So that being said, some people have taken the time and gone to the real sources and done there best to learn the culture the riht way. And not act like experts, but sorry to say, many others have given us a bad name.

I have have a few Indian friends who have been real active in that Indian scouting group. And he and his late wife did a huge amont of work in it.

Anyways,

TMS

Oh I am 100 polish and Irish
Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #28
str8slide

rezcar3 has a reputation beyond repute
rezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond reputerezcar3 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,045.99
the boy scouts of america isnt about teaching anyone to be "indian." the organization teaches good values and ideas that can help kids be better leaders in their community. our scout troop is 100% native american. weve had 4 eagle scouts in the last 2 years for our troop. i havent met one non-indian person in my two years as an asst scout master who wanted anybody to act like an "indian." most of the people ive met believe scouting can teach young men skills and attitudes that will have a positive influence in the world. but then again i havent had to deal with anybody from the order of the arrow.
rezcar3 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #29
Blacksmith

Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,702.79
Get to know you at the Taos Pueblo Powwow this weekend? I'll be there.
Gledanh Zhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #30
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
People get OA and Scouts mixed up sometimes because you have to be a scout to be in the OA. The BSA focuses on teaching values and leadership to youth using an outdoor program. While the emphasis of the OA is camping and service work, the OA uses Native regalia fro their ceremonies. The founders used Native culture 92 years ago for a variety of reasons, with good intentions. One reason was that this was a time when it was feared Native American culture was dying. OA members were encouraged to study the nations that live or lived in their area in order to preserve something of a "dying" culture. That's where the use of regalia came into play. Origanlly the OA used black robes and hoods for their ceremonies. Overtime the adoption of regalia took place. That and OA members getting involved in dancing and doing so incorrectly seem to be the biggest problems today. I don't blame the scouts themselves, but their leaders. Their are leaders out their who do not take the time and energy to do things right, and they reinforce the "Hollywood" stereotypes.

In reference to regalia, the youth and adults don't take the time to study the differences and significance of each article of regalia. Instead they look at the "coolness" factor and the result is a mishmash of items from different nations, sometimes with religious meanings. I can tell you that the OA is working on those issues. They've created a committe with Native representatives to solve these problems. They offer classes at the national conventions, with the hopes that the information is passed on at the regional convention and local seminars. But it is an uphill battle. Even with national bans of facepaint and item like the pipe, so have some folks who don't care and ignore the rules.

In the dancing aspects of the OA,which alot of criticism arises from on this board, again I don't blame the scouts, but the adults. I've encountered three kinds of leaders, two of which are problems. First type are those that again don't do their homework and look at "Dances with Wolves," " A Man Called Horse," etc and just reinforce the stereotypes. You can ussually identify them becasue they wear the wolves, foxes, cayotes, etc on their heads. Most times they don't care and evan after talkign to these folks, they keep on doing what they do.

Second type of problem leader may have danced in their youth, but stopped for whatever reason. When they get back to dancing because their son is in the OA, they relive their "glory days." If your lucky they will go to some powwows, see how times have changed, and make new regalia. If you are unlucky they think they know it all, and continue to wear their Old Style regalia fromthe 1960s, with maybe a larger Union suit. When the opportunity to attend a seminar or conference arises, they don't attend any of the classes, or worse they teach a class using what they learned form the 1960s without updating the information.

The Third type of leader gets involved and does things right. They go to powwows,learn etiquette, make friends, ask questions, and build their rig appropriately. They encourage their youth who are interested to attend powwows and any seminars and conferences they are capable of attending, and guide them.

If you are involved in scouting and have the opportunity to join the OA I would do so. Again the OA is alot more that 'playing Indian." I would also encourage you to work with the youth and leaders to try and get them to do things correctly if they aren;t doing so already. It may be frustrating at times and seem hopeless, but eventually it will work out. I've joined my current lodge 3 years ago, and we are slowly making changes.
Privateer6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #31
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ron S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,215.80
What???? I have to stop watching "Dances with Wolves"???? Man, I love that movie. *LOL*

Seriously, good insight Privateer.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #32
Dances for Enjoyment

Mato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,749.20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Privateer6 View Post
In reference to regalia, the youth and adults don't take the time to study the differences and significance of each article of regalia. Instead they look at the "coolness" factor and the result is a mishmash of items from different nations, sometimes with religious meanings.
I know Indians that do this too, what a shame.

I am NOT Indian. I have never been to India, nor has any of my family before me! I have met these people from India, of whom you speak, and I am nothing like them. Why do you call me an Indian?

Mato Mahe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2007, 10:09 PM   #33
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
RonS
Well I have high opinion of Phillip B. down there with 397. He's one of those who was super involved as a youth, and when he came back to dancing, wanted to do it right. Last I heard he's done a great job getting folks on the right track.
Privateer6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #34
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ron S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,215.80
Privateer6,
Sent you a PM.
Ron
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links