Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Straight Dancing What distinguishes a Cherokee straight dancer What distinguishes a Cherokee straight dancer

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Beadboy

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,860.56
Savings: 1.00
What distinguishes a Cherokee straight dancer

What distinguishes a Cherokee straight dancer (clothing and dance stlye) from the others. I know the osage, ponca ect.. all have there own dance stlye and unique clothing.

In other words how can you tell if a dancer is cherokee, By there beadwork, Clothes, dancing??? ect...

Thanks and take care everybody

Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.

"Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

“We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear
_wuliechsin_ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
Beadboy

_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute
What distinguishes a Cherokee straight dancer

What distinguishes a Cherokee straight dancer (clothing and dance stlye) from the others. I know the osage, ponca ect.. all have there own dance stlye and unique clothing.

In other words how can you tell if a dancer is cherokee, By there beadwork, Clothes, dancing??? ect...

Thanks and take care everybody

"Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

“We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear
Old 04-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,024.83
I would like you Gentlemen and ladies to help my young friend with his journey. He is adopted and of several different Tribes though predominantly OK Cherokee. He is on a soul journey. He is a pretty good young Straight dancer who has recently found out that he is really of Cherokee Blood mostly. I have given him some thoughts but he would like several more opinions.

Would you all please help him out with your wisdom and experience? Thank you all.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Some Kinda Monster

Str8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 919.64
Savings: 0.00
Since no one has weighed in yet, I'll throw my $.02 in...

Remember, first and foremost, that Straight Dancing (and every other style of powwow dancing for that matter) is not Cherokee. In fact, alot of Cherokee folks didn't really become involved in powwows till the 1960s when the Anquoe family started putting on dances in Tulsa. Therefore, you really have to be aware of the way that straight dance tribes do things - and there are a lot of variations here. Kiowa, Comanche, Pawnee, Oto, Kaw, Osage, Ponca all have certain protocols and clothing styles that are unique, but at the end of the day, straight dancing comes from the Hethushka traditions. Go to those dances to see what straight dancing is really about - you don't have to dance, but watch, listen and learn.

So, not to discourage you, but I'd recommend that your first option for straight dance clothes should be to wear whatever your sponsor/mentor tells you to wear. If an Osage (or whatever tribe) person or family dresses you and brings you into the circle, wear what they put you in or help you put together. It's always better to say "I'm Cherokee, but Mr X or family Y dressed me in these clothes of tribe Z" than it is to say "I'm Cherokee and I just decided to make this stuff up as I go and wear whatever I thought looked cool." That latter option is disrespectful to the origins of the dance - I'm not saying that you are doing that, but I just wanted to get that sentiment out there so you know where I'm coming from.

That being said, there are ways to incorporated Cherokee style details into your clothes. A great example is how Delaware men in NE OK have been doing - if you ever get a chance to go to Copan powwow (or search Copan in the galleries as there are a few pics that show what I'm talking about) you'll see that some men who I guess you could call "straight dancers" wear very Delaware specific clothing items - styles of shirts and leggings, belts and garters, turbans & roaches, etc.

Of course, there are some things that are just recognized as essential gear for a straight dancer - an otter dragger for example. Even though it has nothing to do with Cherokee traditional clothes, it should be worn. But when it comes to leggings or moccasins, I think those are the key places where you could wear very Cherokee or SE style things and it could look really keen if done right. In fact Cherokee and Muskogee floral beadwork had a strong influence on the development of the abstract floral "prairie style" beadwork associated with the Poncas, Otos, and other straight dance tribes. So do some research on SE floral beadwork, and you could come up with really cool designs that are visually Cherokee.

Front-seam leggings and pucker-toe mocs could work very nicely with a set of Straight Dance clothes. A couple of good starting points for researching these kinds of garments and beadwork styles can be found in the following books. Susan Power's book "Art of the Cherokee: Prehistory to the Present" has several good pairs of beaded mocs, and a couple of older beaded belts and sashes, as well as some woven belts and garters. There is a museum catalog called "Splendid Heritage: Masterpieces of Native American Art from the Masco Collection" that has several nice SE garments (pp 82 and 83 has a killer set of leggings). Also check out Martha Berry's beadwork at Martha Berry: Cherokee Beadwork Artist to see some modern interpretations of SE style beadwork. (One side note here, as you do research, you'll note that SE beadwork was historically very "organic" and not as orderly and precise as Prairie style beadwork. In that sense, Berry's beadwork is not a replica of older styles, but a modern re-interpretation....)

Long story short, research, research, talk to a bunch of people, research some more, go to a bunch of formal Hethushka/ Eloska/ Inlonshkla dances, research some more, get feedback on your clothes and research by talking to people, and did I mention research?

Hopefully this gives you some food for thought and some ideas on how to move forward with your dance clothes....
Old 04-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Beadboy

Thank for your help and advice, I really appericate it.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
Blacksmith

Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,702.79
I see that Native American Goods - Matoska Trading Company is selling a pattern for what they call a "Cherokee Man's Ribbon Shirt."
Gledanh Zhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
its to cold up here

legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gledanh Zhinga View Post
I see that Native American Goods - Matoska Trading Company is selling a pattern for what they call a "Cherokee Man's Ribbon Shirt."
Its a Missouri River pattern- which are bad as far as patterns go, 1. they stop at like xxl, I mean seriously how many of us are smaller than a 2 X?
2. They are made for people who do not know how to sew- since the women in my family all know how I dont waste my time.

I am workin' on an outfit similar to what your friend is tryin to do- combining the Ponca straight dance suit with Cherokee elements. I am projecting that it will be done in a month or two, will post pics when complete.
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,462.41
There is a very good dancer here in Oklahoma that is part Creek and he has incorporated some Creek designs into his dance clothes that look really keen

But the overall look still stays with what is accepted around here as Straight Dance Clothes
Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
its to cold up here

legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
Yup.

I am adding a bandolier bag to the basic straight suit. Floral beadwork on the otter and so forth. But any other straight dancer should be able to point it out as a straight suit.
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,816.57
_wulie,

According to Historian's list of notable straight dancers in another thread, there are only a handful of Cherokee straight dancers.

I believe Jamie Noble is the most notable Cherokee straight dancer to date. Jamie places pretty consistantly in the golden age straight dance division. I believe his wife Georgia is influential in supplying ribbonwork for his straight dance cloths. Jamie was also a pretty good fancy dancer back-in-da'-day.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #11
Beadboy

Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you everyone for your help and your advice I really appericate it.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
pow-wow gear central!

tribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
wow this is a tough topic and is probably dealt with in as many different ways as there are dancers, but I'll try my best and explain how I look at it.
First of all, I am Cherokee. I participate in our stomp ways and grew up that way. I also pow-wow. I started when I went to college in Oklahoma City and started running around with some Kiowa/Comanche folks. Through the years my thoughts have changed on this but for me, our ways (SE "stomp" and pow-wow) do not mix. We as southeastern people really have no rights out there other than at the tolerance of those who DO hold these ways. To me pow-wow is a plains and "missouri river" thing and I am VERY grateful that they choose to share these ways with us. I love my traditional ways but in the end they are very limiting. You go to a Cherokee stomp and you just see other Cherokees and maybe some Yuchi or Mvskogee guys there as well. At pow-wow you meet so many other tribes and the ways are so incredibly diverse and unique. I love them both, but I do not confuse the two. When I dance, I dance the way I was put in by my adopted uncle. I don't add elements of my own nation because then it changes fundamentally what that is. Unless we as a Nation obtain the rights to this dance then it is not for me to change. Same as when I sit at the drum. I don't go in there as a Cherokee, I go in and try to uphold my uncles' teachings the best way I know how without letting my own "Cherokee" ideas get in the way, because, to me, they don't have any bearing on what goes on out there.
This is just how I view it. I've seen some great southeastern inspired straight dance clothes. I think in this modern age we as Native people have a unique dilemma in that there are more nations who were not traditionally pow-wow people participating, especially with contest money as incentive. I see Cherokee women wearing their tear dresses here in Oklahoma, but I've also never seen a woman in a tear dress place at a large dance here either. I am very grateful to those who placed me in that arena and it will always be a big part of my life and I hope I uphold the things they taught me in a proper way. I don't try and make the dance more "Cherokee" because for me, I show my respect to those who put me out there by dressing the way they teach me. So, I guess I agree with those who posted that you should go in and dress the way those who put you out there tell you to dress.

This is just my own humble opinion.
tribaltagz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #13
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
I want to thank all of you for helping this young man with his desire to know the right way of doing things. I can appreciate his honesty and this request to do what is right.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

hossman is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,259.86
Thank you for your information. I am trying to learn the ways of my grandmother's cherokee heritage so any help is appreciated.
hossman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #15
cherosage

I just want to add some thoughts. I, too, am Cherokee but I'm Osage, Chickasaw, Shawnee, Haliwa-Saponi and CBP. I was dressed by my Osage family representing the Pawhuska Dist of the Osage Nation. Most of my Clothing is Pawhuska Dist style. One thing to remember no matter the Tribe/Nation there are divisions in these Tribes/Nations such as our InLonShka Dist's.

Another thing to remember is that even in these divisions there are subdivisions(family's)/clans who have our own touches or differences. Such as ribbon work style etc.. I do believe that as was mentioned earlier a slight differences with the families permission could be utilized. Such as floral bead work, SE style Moc's, etc..

Just some thoughts. I was asked one time by a very good friend of mine during an InLonShka dance one year if I also Stomp
Dance. I told him yes I do, why. He mentioned that I have that swagger in my step. tribaltagz is correct that Cherokee's and many others didn't have the "Powwow" history of our own. Ours is at night and the ball games by day.

I want to thank everyone for being civil and willing to help my young friend. He is very sincere in wanting to do what is right. I can't imagine the pressure when you are Adopted and want to do what is right with your Bio-Family. Wado/ A-Ho
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
From what I've read on this thread, there're some very good men giving some very good advise on this topic. I can't add anything to what has already been well said.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
Some Kinda Monster

Str8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 919.64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
There is a very good dancer here in Oklahoma that is part Creek and he has incorporated some Creek designs into his dance clothes that look really keen

But the overall look still stays with what is accepted around here as Straight Dance Clothes
Yup, Justin Yerby - Creek and Choctaw... he's got some keen clothes that have SE-style beadwork, but the overall look stays within the "rules" for straight dance clothes. There's some pics of him in the galleries, but i don't think they're tagged with his name, so you'll just have to look at recent pics and keep your eyes peeled. Or just go talk to him if you see him around - he's a good guy!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:05 AM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

delawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond reputedelawarendn has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 148.00
i know a few Cherokees t hat will pow-wow dance sometimes but the ones i know Cherokee or Keetoowah, they are strictly stomp dance people. they lead em till the sun comes up, them women shake them turtles all night. that's their thing.
delawarendn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2015, 01:48 AM   #19
Beadboy

Thanks

Thank you Everyone for your input I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links