Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork Baby Lap Pad Delima Baby Lap Pad Delima

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Beading Like Crazy

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ndnhottie79 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Baby Lap Pad Delima

Ok...I was reading the posts on using the baby lap pads for beading. I started a pair of baby moccs on one..I am having one problem...how do I cover up the fact that I used baby lap pad? The moccs aren't going to be fully beaded up the sides, only on the front..so I have about 1 1/2 inches on each side of white lap pad showing, and I haven't even done a 'tounge' yet...what can I do to fix it to make it look as if I used all leather? Anyone with suggestions?
ndnhottie79 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
I think you must have mis-understood something somewhere; I would never make mocs out of baby lap-pad. I only do BEADING on lap-pad. I only make mocs using deer, elk or moose hide. If you have only done the beading for the tops of mocs, cut the beaded part out; make a new pair of mocs out of hide, and then sew the beaded tops onto the new pair.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2004, 04:22 PM   #3
Beading Like Crazy

The soles are made out of hide. I was planning on cutting out the tops and sewing them to the hide...I just am trying to figure out how to hide the fact that its baby lap pad...on the sides....and I was going to do the 'tounge' out of hide also...
So, if I understand right, I do the beading only on the lap pad then attach it to hide uppers? It seems as if that would be a waste of hide. I would have beaded directly to the hide if I knew I would have to do that....isn't there any other way to cover up the lap pad? is it possible to use some type of cloth on the underside where the stitches are, not just to hide the fact that its lap pad but to also protect the stitches? I suppose I may have to fully bead the sides?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:40 PM   #4
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
"If you have only done the beading for the tops of mocs, cut the beaded part out; make a new pair of mocs out of hide, and then sew the beaded tops onto the new pair."

Wocus Woman has the right idea here. Cut away the beaded part and then stitch it to the leather. I know it seems like double work....but if the foot grows (for a child--rather fast) the beadwork can be removed and then added to another pair later on. We have done this and it works well. We just lazy stitch it the leather.

Just a tip that works for us..........
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #5
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstraightdancrs
"If you have only done the beading for the tops of mocs, cut the beaded part out; make a new pair of mocs out of hide, and then sew the beaded tops onto the new pair."

Wocus Woman has the right idea here. Cut away the beaded part and then stitch it to the leather. I know it seems like double work....but if the foot grows (for a child--rather fast) the beadwork can be removed and then added to another pair later on. We have done this and it works well. We just lazy stitch it the leather.

Just a tip that works for us..........
I'm in total agreement; you can't use the actual beadwork on lap-pad as part of the mocs, because you need the hide as the main structure of the mocs, so that they will hold and take the stress of being worn. You don't want your beadwork taking all that stress, also being able to remove beadwork from one pair to a newer & bigger pair is a great idea, especially for kids.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2004, 04:08 AM   #6
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Good suggestion both of you.. this is what I would have said as well. Don't worry about the lap pad appearing a bit stiff on top of the leather, it will mold itself a bit with wear and move with the moccasin better.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:39 AM   #7
Beading Like Crazy

Thanks everyone...I will work on doing all of the cutting and refitting to leather...
Sponsored Links