Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OLChemist
  • 1 Post By wyo_rose

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork Basic two-needle applique tutorial Basic two-needle applique tutorial

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 81,748.94
Savings: 0.00
Basic two-needle applique tutorial

We had a question in a different thread about 2 needle. Being the know-it-all that I am, LOL, I will try to answer.

Two Needle Applique is a technique used for both linear and curvilinear designs. It gives a beadworker very precise control of bead placement and produces a very even, smooth look.

The substrate for applique beadwork can be leather, crib pad, sturdy fabric, or thin plastic. Whatever you use, it must be stiff. Fusible interfacing and a good grade of acid free paper works well. (Acid free paper can be found in large office supply chain stores, and photographic and art supply houses.)

To do the stitch, sketch out your design. I do the outlines first. Thread and wax two
needles.

Step 1:
With one needle, bring the needle up through the back at the end of one of your design lines. String enough beads to go along the length of the line. Take the needle back through the substrate. (I'm going to call this the stringing thread.)

Be sure to leave wriggle room for the beads; there needs to be room for another, anchor, thread go between every few beads.
Attached Thumbnails
applique1.jpg  

Last edited by OLChemist; 08-07-2005 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Spelling. I.E. I can't....
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Step 2:
Bring the second needle up three or four beads from the end. I use a small awl to spare my fingers when going through this stiff backing.
Attached Thumbnails
applique2.jpg  
Old 08-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Attached Thumbnails
applique3.jpg  

Last edited by OLChemist; 08-07-2005 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Text out of order
Old 08-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Step 4:
Move another three or four beads up the line and repeat steps 3 and 4. Do this until you reach the end of the line of beads.
Attached Thumbnails
applique4.jpg  
Old 08-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Step 4:
Move another three or four beads up the line and repeat steps 3 and 4. Do this until you reach the end of the line of beads.

To put in the next line, bring the stringing thread back up, 1/2 a bead's width from the line you just put in and repeat the whole process. Be careful not to crowd the beads, this will make the entire project curl.
Attached Thumbnails
applique5.jpg  
marnie2 likes this.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Good job, OLChemist! Love you pics and thanks for doing another tutorial.

It looks great, but as with most things, there's more than one way to get it done.

My stringing thread never goes back down thru the substate until I'm at the end of the line. Then you don't have to worry about not leaving enough wiggle room for all your tacking, especially on curves.

I also suggest to "tack" every two beads on an outline, or your "first" line in a series of lines. Then after that every 3 beads. If you go every 4 the beads don't seem to want to lie flat.

But keep up the good work with your tutorials!! I LOVE to see them.
Smeshigaud likes this.
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
Part time beadworker...

*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
This is one of the best tutorials I have seen on this technique. Great job. It took me so long to realize that you must leave space for the beads or they will crowd.
*Powwow_Princess* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

comanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 774.80
Thank you so much for this Tut. I have some of the 'lap pads' coming in the mail and was just wondering how to go about getting the "design" on the pad. So all i have to do is either print out a design or draw one on a paper and lay that paper ontop of the lap pad right ?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
PowWows.com Addicts

Smeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond repute
Smeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,042.85
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
Good job, OLChemist! Love you pics and thanks for doing another tutorial.

It looks great, but as with most things, there's more than one way to get it done.

My stringing thread never goes back down thru the substate until I'm at the end of the line. Then you don't have to worry about not leaving enough wiggle room for all your tacking, especially on curves.

I also suggest to "tack" every two beads on an outline, or your "first" line in a series of lines. Then after that every 3 beads. If you go every 4 the beads don't seem to want to lie flat.

But keep up the good work with your tutorials!! I LOVE to see them.
My stringing thread never goes back through the substate either. It's so much easier that way. I tack down every 3 beads but lately been doing between 4 and 5. Wyo_Rose, I like your advice on the outline, I'll have to try that on my next project. :)
Old 05-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,654.90
Savings: 1.00
Someone should post a video on youtube or something. I'm a visual learner, so these instructions aren't really helping me even if they are very descriptive.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanche-woman View Post
Thank you so much for this Tut. I have some of the 'lap pads' coming in the mail and was just wondering how to go about getting the "design" on the pad. So all i have to do is either print out a design or draw one on a paper and lay that paper ontop of the lap pad right ?
they still have lap pads in your area? Geez, it's so hard to find in southeast Texas.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

comanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond reputecomanche-woman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 774.80
I actually bought mine off of ebay.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
It's hard to find them around here now too. Gonna hafta hit a babies'R'us soon.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
Happy Beading Woman

Oooooh...I'm gonna try ebay. BabiesRus doesn't sell 'em any more around here. :(

Anybody know how to rope bead? I learned how to do it when I was about 6 or 7, but I can't remember how to do it. I know it's very simple. I don't remember how to tack it down. Any takers?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Walmart online has it:

Walmart.com: Flannel and Rubber Waterproof Sheeting: Personal Care
Old 05-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #16
Ready to dance

Thanks! That will save me a stop on my next shopping trip.