Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OLChemist
  • 1 Post By wardancer
  • 1 Post By WhoMe

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork Beaded Rifle Scabbard Beaded Rifle Scabbard

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
gunnut75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 114.00
Savings: 0.00
Beaded Rifle Scabbard

Just found out about this forum and I had a question. I have what I believe is a buckskin rifle scabbard with nice beadwork from the late 1800's I assume. It's sewn with why looks to be sinew and thread. Does anyone know who might have been the maker? Any other info? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
_dsc1673.jpg   _dsc1676.jpg   _dsc1678.jpg  
gunnut75 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

More pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
_dsc1695.jpg   _dsc1693.jpg   _dsc1694.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 62,418.99
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut75 View Post
Just found out about this forum and I had a question. I have what I believe is a buckskin rifle scabbard with nice beadwork from the late 1800's I assume. It's sewn with why looks to be sinew and thread. Does anyone know who might have been the maker? Any other info? Thanks
You are so very attentive ! It does appear to be a buckskin rifle scabbard ! LOL
Sorry , just kidding !It's obviously a rifle scabbard. As to the age....hmmm
The pics you have that are close-ups that looks to me like commercial tanned leather and artificial sinew. That's just my opinion. Of course , that and $1.19 will get me a cup of coffee at Quick Trip ! LOL
It could be older , but I'd guess not so much. Maybe early to mid 1900's Nice , Cheyenne style beadwork , at the very least plains style. My brother made several of those , very similar , but not that one.
With out "hands on" it's really hard to tell. I'd take it to someone who knows about Native items and let them look at it.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry , just took another look. That's more of a Sioux style bead-work , not Cheyenne.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 01-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Did you already post this on here ?

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 01-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 62,889.33
I'm not expert. But, as a beadworker I've looked at a lot of old beadwork over the years. And I've looked at a lot of re-enactor/hob work that is trying to replicate old stuff. Just looking at the pictures, there's a couple things that send my spidey sense tingling.

Do you have reason to believe this is from the 1880's? Some paperwork? A sound provenance? Been in your family since 1880...
wardancer likes this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Not to challenge anyone expertise but I will be at my next paycheck this this was not made within the last 100 years. I've seen enough old leather in my collecting of winchesters and colts to know what aged in antique stuff looks like. I don't know if the pictures just don't help but this thing has original sinew and thread that dry rotted years ago and you can even see the sinew used in the bead work. The trade cloth used for the edges has actually deteriorated away or been moth eaten in some places. I realize that there are some good fakers out there however, there's some things that you can't think when it comes to aging. My biggest question was who was it done by? Sounds like the answer is Sioux.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
we're not experts ! At least I'm not. I just gave my opinion to pictures you posted. I also said that you should take it to someone that knows more about native artifacts. Hands on is always best. You can smell brain tan. I can bury a hank of white beads in the dirt for a month and have beads that look 1800's. I have "brain tan" leggin's , I made about 30 years ago , that would appear to be made in the 1800's! A piece of trade wool can be weathered outside for a while and look old as heck , doesn't mean it is. Now I'm not saying your item is not old , I'm just saying that items like that can be reproduced and be hard to tell from the real deal.
Eagle Plumes likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 01-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,558.70
Your beaded rifle scabbard looks like it came from the region of Northern Montana or southern Alberta. The Assiniboine, Gros Ventre and Blood all used the elongated diamond or elongated half-diamond touching the rectangle in their beadwork designs.

Your bag is trimmed with red selvage cloth which began being used as a trade good to Northern Plains tribes in the Mid 1800's and reached a pinnicle as a trading good between 1880 and 1920. It is making a great comeback in powwow circles at this point in time.

The cut of the case was used for a lever action rifle. Lever action rifles began being produced around 1866.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your research.

Whome.
SsmalltownNDN likes this.

Last edited by WhoMe; 01-27-2014 at 11:29 AM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links