Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chumus

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork Beading a Marine Corp Logo Beading a Marine Corp Logo

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
chumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 432.71
Savings: 0.00
Beading a Marine Corp Logo

I'm beading a Marine Corp logo for my dad as a gift. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what colors I should use for the eagle that stands at the top of globe in the design. Should I go with black and silver or should use the natural colors of the eagle. I was also thinking of using gold. I just don't want the eagle to look cartoon like. I swore to myself I would never bead an eagle because it is too easy to make them look silly, but really want to do this for him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
docat likes this.
chumus is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumus View Post
I'm beading a Marine Corp logo for my dad as a gift. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what colors I should use for the eagle that stands at the top of globe in the design. Should I go with black and silver or should use the natural colors of the eagle. I was also thinking of using gold. I just don't want the eagle to look cartoon like. I swore to myself I would never bead an eagle because it is too easy to make them look silly, but really want to do this for him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Wow, good luck with that! Do you have a grid you can work on? My daughter does big designs like that by going to PAINT and putting a photo on it and then click on VIEW and then on that tab, check GRIDLINES. You might have to adjust the size of the photo to fit the size to beads. The gridlines are squares and so she uses the fatter Japanese beads.

That is one way. There are many other ways. I know what you mean about the eagle and keeping it from looking cartoonish. I like the ideas you have on color choices.

Were you going to use a loom or beading directly on leather or fabric?
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
yellow bear woman

Mato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond repute
Mato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond reputeMato-Zi-Win has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,982.80
Quote:
Thank you
Whati do for difficult realistic beading is print off an image, cut it out to shape of the beaded item and pin it on, beading on top of it. I did a crow flag medallion like that, just rip off the paper when done! Edit: for the colours I'd just use the colours you believe would look best. Show us a pic when you are done!! I'd love to see it.

Last edited by Mato-Zi-Win; 03-16-2013 at 11:49 PM..
Mato-Zi-Win is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

chumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond reputechumus has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 432.71
Quote:
Originally Posted by docat View Post

Wow, good luck with that! Do you have a grid you can work on? My daughter does big designs like that by going to PAINT and putting a photo on it and then click on VIEW and then on that tab, check GRIDLINES. You might have to adjust the size of the photo to fit the size to beads. The gridlines are squares and so she uses the fatter Japanese beads.

That is one way. There are many other ways. I know what you mean about the eagle and keeping it from looking cartoonish. I like the ideas you have on color choices.

Were you going to use a loom or beading directly on leather or fabric?
Thanks for the advice. I usually just trace the picture or design on to some Pelon(sp), and then start beading. I will be using different sizes from 11's to 16's all same cut.
chumus is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
NDN Bingo Loafer Bum

Items ElephantDevilPresentGuitar
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 25,787.85
Savings: 52.80
Marine Corps colors are red and gold.

R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Thunder Rolling to Loftier Mountain Heights

Ndnsoldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I usually just trace the picture or design on to some Pelon(sp), and then start beading. I will be using different sizes from 11's to 16's all same cut.
Be sure to share it with us when you finish. Sounds like a great project. Good luck!
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ron S is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 2,030.23
Just finished beading one for my son. I beaded over a photocopy of the emblem with 13/0 cuts. I did the eagle in brown and it looks OK. But after going back and studying the emblem, I see that in most cases the eagle is gold. I think you would be OK either way.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50,170.22
If you're not practiced with being realistic eagles, I would stick with a single color...like the gold.

You should see my first eagle!! I tried and tried to design it right, but it's a cartoon. LOL

Now that I've seen some very nice eagles, beaded by folks from the Sho-Ban tribe, I know what to do next time.