Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Meglyall85@gmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 115.01
Savings: 0.00
Blanket Strip

Looking for information on making a blanket strip. Basically have my design. However, I am not sure on the process. I have seen them done in lazy stitch. Can it be made with applique stitch? is it done in one piece? or can each element be beaded and then sewn together. the strip I am planning has 4 cd size rosettes and 5 rectangles.
Any and all information is greatly appreciated :)
AmigoKumeyaay likes this.
Meglyall85@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 56,363.23
Savings: 0.00
Welcome to powwows.com

The techniques used in antique blanket strips generally reflected the prevailing technique and aesthetic within the tribal community where they were made. Hence you get Crow strips that are appliqué and Lakota that are lane stitch.

Blanket Strips on Pinterest

Modern work is part tribal tradition and part personal taste. You can do what you feel is appropriate. Here's a favorite of mine.

Six Horse Courting Blanket by Molly Murphy Adams

I've seen a couple old blanket strips that were pieced. All of the ones I've gotten to see close up seem to be repurposed from an existing strip of beadwork. Usually an old strip from leggings or a shirt was reused. Then some rosettes were made and attached. The gap between the two was beaded over. Done well these are just as pretty.

One of the ones, I got to examine at a local antique store had clearly been subjected to a modern modification. The rosettes and the strip matched poorly, and it is was clear the rosettes were by one hand and the strip by the other. A blanket strip was born when someone decided it would be more profitable than leggings and some rosettes.

This is a picture of strip that appears to be pieced. It has also been heavily restored/repaired.

Blanket strip that is pieced

You could certainly piece a strip, You would just need to insure that you could cover the seams.

I'm not sure what else you need to know.

Last edited by OLChemist; 03-26-2018 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Wow, I could have proofread that before posting
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items DollElephantDolphin
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 24,638.79
Savings: 2.03
Welcome to pws.com