Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
wshniwuzbdn

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
beadmom is on a distinguished road
Credits: 233.90
Savings: 0.00
Bolo Tie

I am wanting to make a beaded bolo tie for a friend, but I have never made one. I want the cord to be beaded and have a beaded medallion on the clasp. Where do you find the clasp, or do you make it? Do you gourd stitch the cord? What kind of cord do you use? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
beadmom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
Member since March 2000.

Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60.00
Savings: 1.00
Here's my take on it.

If you're going to bead the rope or cord. DON'T use a metal clasp, besides the fact that you won't find one that will fit it, you'd damage the beadwork on the cord.

Course, that's not to say it CAN'T be done or hasn't been tried. I've personally had no luck doing it, so haven't bothered with it.

I always bead a rosette for the bolo, and will bead the cord (Gourd Stitch).

On the back of the rosette, I simply make a sort of series of two loops, each loop, made out of leather, and each one accomodating a single strand of the beaded cord/rope. This is stitched to the backing on the beaded rosette, and if you do it tight enough or with enough tension, you shouldn't have any problems with worrying about having a clasp.

Unless you're going to just bead the tips of the cord/rope, and then want to bead a rosette, and use a metal clasp. You can get clasps online from places like Crazy Crow Trading Post, from stores online, or elsewhere that specialize in Southwestern type items, geared more towards silverwork.

Look up Gallup Indian Jewelers Supply online, there should be something there, or at least a number to call them up, they could hook you up.

Hope that helped......or wasn't TOO confusing.

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
wshniwuzbdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bo Jangles
Here's my take on it.

On the back of the rosette, I simply make a sort of series of two loops, each loop, made out of leather
What type of leather do you use?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Good directions, MrBoJ. I think the cord looks better fully beaded, but to gourd stitch that would take 4EVER!!!

My sisterinlaw showed me how to wrap-stich. You go around the cord with a whole row of beads and then go thru. Add another row and continue. Still looks very nice!
Old 11-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
wshniwuzbdn

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bo Jangles

Hope that helped......or wasn't TOO confusing.
It helped a lot. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
wshniwuzbdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose

My sisterinlaw showed me how to wrap-stich.
I thought about the wrap-stitch, but the only bolos I have seen were gourd stitched. Wrap-stitching would be much quicker.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #7
PowWows.com Addicts

Yelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
wyo_rose

you don't have to tack down it all stays together without spaces? Sounds good....I'm going to try it. Thanks.
Yelloweyes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links