PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Beadwork (http://forums.powwows.com/f14/)
-   -   Chisel sheath how to (http://forums.powwows.com/f14/chisel-sheath-how-70994/)

Broken Arrow 04-27-2018 02:30 AM

Chisel sheath how to

As doing a little bit archery, time by time an arrow needs to be operated out of a tree.

Yes, I do miss the target once upon a time.

To cut the arrow out of the tree or the target frame you either need a thick blade or use a chisel. I wonna try the chisel and compare it with the knife.

[IMG]http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/y...ose/Chisel.jpg[/IMG]

I think I'll do a wooden inlay and than cover it with beeded buckskin. That will be more round than flat.

How to do that? Hm, if round, Peyote stitch?

Would like we would have work shops in beading over here with a trainer, counsel, ...

OLChemist 04-27-2018 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You could do gourd stitch. If it were me I probably use running stitch.

http://forums.powwows.com/f14/questi...12/#post314537

That's what I did on this.

OLChemist 04-27-2018 09:38 PM

Just an FYI, that case was made by covering a rawhide cone with buckskin. I used that ancient Indian technique -- Arlene's Tacky Glue to attache the buckskin. Once the glue was dry, I beaded.

If you're planning to strap that on your belt and carry it, I'd make a narrow variation of the strap leather or rawhide sheath. Properly done a sheath will hold firmly around the lower half of the handle. Like this maybe:

Rawhide knife sheath kit

wardancer 04-28-2018 12:02 AM

I've made some of those !............but I didn't have a kit ! LOL

Broken Arrow 04-28-2018 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardancer (Post 1635734)

May be you invent one and sell through the traders though may be better you advertise to make on request.

:smile:

wardancer 04-28-2018 10:39 AM

Somebody already did ! LOL

Sorry , I was just joking around. I usually just figure out how to make whatever it is I want using common sense and realistic expectations ! You combine that with ideas and various techniques and find the end result !
Add in help from family and friends. We (back in the day) could not afford to buy kits and such. We relied on practical reasoning to complete our projects.Some people like that straight running stitch , some peyote stitch , and others lazy stitch. Each will do the job . Personal preference is your guide and what you , as a craftsman , are comfortable with ! Everyone has their own choice of tools ! You like shooting a bow , I prefer a rifle. I can drive a nail in a board with a 2x4 , but I prefer a hammer. There is also a certain amount of trial and error in any craft , and part of that is always in the learning curve. You are already figuring out your own mistakes and that's also part of that learning curve !I'm terribly hard on myself , with my own projects. Especially when I'm doing work for someone other than myself.Keep at it , you're doing good !

Broken Arrow 04-28-2018 02:43 PM

Thanks @wardancer.

I'll do my very best.

:smile:

Broken Arrow 04-29-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardancer (Post 1635736)
You like shooting a bow , I prefer a rifle.

Yes I like the bow because a flat bow is much more silent than any gun, even with silencer and subsonic ammunition. We had to do some measuring of volume at the shooting range due to protests. A .223 Remington or .308 Winchester bullet are good for about 115 db at the 100 m bullet trap. Even the .22 lfB is above the 85 db limit. You can't trap the supersonic sound of the bullet.

The stone arrow tips and antler tips penetrate deeper in wood than those field tips for competition shooting using the same bow to shoot the arrow. A lot of people in Europe underestimate a (primitive or self) bow and arrow.

I do have use for muzzle loaders and some of the cartridge guns which will never replace the muzzle loaders. :lol:

(Dieser neumodische Kram wird sich nie und nimmer nicht durchsetzen.)

wardancer 04-29-2018 01:23 PM

And yet , I killed a nice buck (13point) at 458 yards ! My best shot ! Savage mod. 110 in 25.06 w/ 6x18x50 bushnell banner scope. and enjoy friendly competition at all ranges , but prefer the longer ones. I can also show a respectable grouping at 100 yards with a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag with a 7.5 inch barrel !
And I can take both my bow and my crossbow and hit a target ! LOL I prefer my rifles and pistols !

Broken Arrow 04-29-2018 01:58 PM

:wink_smil

Don't know if you need a hunting license and have to pay.

Hunting here requires a hunting license and you need to lease a hunting territory or pay to be allowed to hunt on a hunting territory if you are not the owner or tenant. It is quite expensive. And you need an insurance as tenant because you have to pay game damage if there is some. And if you have wild boars, there will game damage to the farmers. Can ruin you.

Hunting with bow and arrow or crossbow is by law forbidden in Germany.

Shooting ranges with more than 100 m are rare. Non military for sure I know23 ranges with up to 300 m, Philippsburg and Alsfeld. Think there are two more and one with more than 300 m.

The Remington 700 shoots nice groups at 100 m but not good enough. Once 295 of 300 was ok but now you need 300 out of 300 points and 30 times inner x-ring and may be you are only on the tenth place. And to no ones surprise those of the senior and super senior class (Golden Age) are in most disciples the best ones.

The Nagant Sniper in 7.64 x 54 with the 3.5 PU scope is really good but my eyes are not doing good every time with that scope. But I don't want to mount any modern scope on it. It is a Rifle with matching numbers on all parts made in 1944. The scope is has its own number.

I like my bow and arrows, my muzzle loaders and some of my cartridge guns.

wardancer 04-29-2018 03:48 PM

To each their own !

OLChemist 04-29-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardancer (Post 1635742)
I killed a nice buck (13point)...

Dinner! See, all threads in powwows.com get around to food eventually.

Broken Arrow 04-30-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLChemist (Post 1635745)
Dinner! See, all threads in powwows.com get around to food eventually.

Hirschgulasch?

We shall thank the deer giving his live to feed us.

OLChemist 04-30-2018 02:13 PM

I've never been a fan of red wine with game. I'd rather taste deer than red white. But, that's just me.

Instead marinade in white wine, with onions garlic and a couple juniper berries. Then cook in a frying pan over medium heat with a little butter. Remove the meat and deglaze the pan with a little more wine, add some flour and a little blackberry jam. Pour that over the venison.

Now, some spatzle with butter would be a nice side.

*Rose reads her post* Maybe, I should go eat lunch...

Broken Arrow 04-30-2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLChemist (Post 1635753)
*Rose reads her post* Maybe, I should go eat lunch...

You just talked me into following you to Dinner though it is already a little late here.

Spätzle!

milehighsalute 05-10-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardancer (Post 1635734)

crazy crow is salivating at the idea of patenting your invention

wardancer 05-10-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milehighsalute (Post 1635848)

:rofl:

Broken Arrow 05-11-2018 01:06 AM

What about a

Wardancer's Cheyenne Trading Post?

As you are already multi legged employed by yourself?

Broken Arrow 05-11-2018 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milehighsalute (Post 1635848)

If it is what I suspect, than :lol:

May be a need a larger dictionary. salivating isn't as well translated or described as it should/cold be.

OLChemist 05-11-2018 04:58 AM

Salivating in this context means to want something greatly, like a hungry man sitting in front of a delicious meal with his mouth watering in anticipation.

Broken Arrow 05-11-2018 07:23 AM

Than really :hysterica

Thanks. I can keep the dictionary.

Broken Arrow 05-27-2018 12:11 PM

update on work

The raw hide insert was a mess. I need a hands on teaching.

Returned to the method I know which works. A wooden insert. I have started to build one. Though it is pine and quite soft, it take some time between the other jobs.

I have a lot of grinding left until the shape is reached which can be reached if it is sanded down to what is possible.
I use sandpaper 120 and 180.

[IMG]http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/y...el-inlay-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/y...el-inlay-2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/y...el-inlay-3.jpg[/IMG]

If ready, than gluing the buckskin to the would and after gluing beading with running stitch?

Your point of view is always welcome. I am starting to think about pattern. There has to be a belt strap on the rear side. It will be used when ready.