Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork A Good Beaded Set A Good Beaded Set

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2004, 05:35 PM   #1
Beading Like Crazy

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ndnhottie79 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question A Good Beaded Set

Does anyone know where I can find some good photos of full beaded sets for lady's cloth, and fancy shawl?
Also can anyone tell me the full sets, what are in each, my brain can't think of what else to bead.
I have cuffs,hairties, backbarrett, bag,and moccs...
any help?
thanks!!
ndnhottie79 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2004, 07:23 PM   #2
JinglinChica22

try this site!

http://www.littlecrowtradingpost.com/pagebead.htm
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2004, 08:58 PM   #3
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Have you tried looking in the Gallery here at pw.com?? Try looking under the beadwork catagory...
Old 06-06-2004, 09:30 AM   #4
Beading Like Crazy

Thanks everyone.
Ok, so correct me if I am wrong....
this is what I should have for each;
Fancy:
hair ties
back barrette
choker with drop
earrings
wrist cuffs

Cloth:
hair ties
crown
back barrette
chiker with drop
necklace
earrings
wrist cuffs

Do I have it about right? I am working on a new outfit and everytime I think I am up do date with the latest beaded "fashion" of the circut I find I am wrong..LOL so any other suggestions or comments out there to help me out?
thanks!
Old 06-06-2004, 01:38 PM   #5
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 62,881.33
Most shawl dancers out west wear beaded capes or vests w/an attached cape to cover their shoulders and hang down the back of the shawl. These capes coordinate or contrast with shawl colors, and can be quite ornate. Sometimes they are fringed. If you lack the skill, time or inclination to bead the cape, sequined, embroidered or cloth alipiqued (sp, dang French words :) )can be quite nice. Make sure it is well lined and heavy enough to keep its shape and stay in place. After all you don't want to be attacked by your cape in the high wind.

You will also need need mocs and leggings for your shawl outfit. One of the more popular styles of leggings looks a bit like the high top spats baton twirlers wear. They are tight fitting with a zippered or velcroed front, and tabs or ties to help keep them from riding up toward your knees. Again, sequins or such can be used instead of beading.

I don't know what makes up a lady's cloth outfit for your tribe. But if you are wearing plains style clothing, you'll also need footgear. If you're dancing southern cloth, usually you'd have some specific tribal style of lady's boot. Unless you have been specfically taught how to make them, get someone to do that for you. There is an art to fitting them right. Northern ladies usually wear mocs and seperate leggings.

Also you'll need a knife sheath, awl case, and a small pouch for your belt. And don't forget a purse; got to have someplace for the fry bread/Wall-Mart money:)

I don't think I've ever seen anyone with cuffs while wearing a cloth outfit. Not to say that isn't the style for someone or somewhere....

Anyway, hope this helps.

OLChemist
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2004, 07:02 PM   #6
Beading Like Crazy

Thank you so much...
I have seen some ladies wearing cuffs on both wrists...and some have rings attached to them.
So, what about a crown? don't need one?
also..what do you use to weight down the cape for the fancy outfit?
Um...I dunno what else to ask..lol
anyone have any input all will be apprieciated.
thanks!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:44 AM   #7
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 62,881.33
Cloth outfits vary from tribe to tribe. Some folks wear crowns some don't. In some areas crowns are worn mostly by royality. So I think the decision depends on the style of your outfit.

Interfacing works well to stiffen stuff that needs to flex and hang right. You may need a couple layers. Exactly how you do this depends a lot on whether you're going to bead the cape or aplique. For beading, some folks favor rubberized crib liner. I'd be concerned about that being a bit hot, since it doesn't breathe. You can use a couple layers of canvas supported by fusable interfacing. Run the edge of the canvas "sandwich" through your sewing machine on the the zigzag setting to prevent fraying. Back the finshed piece with a fabric which coordinated with your outfit colors. This will protect the threads from wear.

Hope this helps.

Here are a few random pics from the gallery that might help:

http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...php/photo/5882

http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...php/photo/1065

http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...php/photo/1335

http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...php/photo/2942
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2004, 12:40 AM   #8
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
also if it's a fully beaded cape/yoke you won't need to wieght nothing down, it's gonna be heavy enough all by itself
Old 06-27-2004, 08:55 PM   #9
Beading Like Crazy

Thanks everyone for your input...I just wanted you all to see what I have finished up so far...
The dress is a new one and I made it before I lost weight (about 46 lbs yippi)..so now its a little big...
And the moccs...a good story, the uppers belonged to my ex, who decided to cheat on me with a nasty white girl, they were his harley davidson boots...dont they look good with my rig..LOL
Thanks again everyone...Oh, any other suggestions?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:56 PM   #10
Beading Like Crazy

Here is a pic of everything...actually a website of everything...
http://www.geocities.com/ndnhottie79/MYRIG.html

Last edited by ndnhottie79; 06-27-2004 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: sorry gave the wrong website..lol
Old 06-28-2004, 09:58 PM   #11
Honey Connoissuer

nice!! i especially like the shawl!
Old 06-29-2004, 01:58 PM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

ac ndn is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Very nice beadwork!
ac ndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook