Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork hairtie question hairtie question

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

Items Present
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
NCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond reputeNCheyGirl22 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,322.89
Savings: 0.00
Question hairtie question

So i'm beading a new set of beadwork and working on the hairties right now. Well I want to put horsehair dangles on the ends of the hairties and I can't figure out how to keep the horsehair from falling off. Any ideas on how I could do it?
NCheyGirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Savings: 1.00
gonna try explain this ... as best i can ... you have two options ... with a metal cone or without a metal cone on the horse hair ...

without metal cone:

1. select the amount of horse hair you are goin to use ... a small amount is good (no need to go too thick with hair) ... and fold the hair in half.

2. near the center ... use thread or a thin leather piece to tie the hair together ... forming a small loop with the hair.

3. use the loop made to attach it to your hair tie with thread and larger beads if you so choose

with metal cone (looks like a small jingle cone):

1. same as above ... select a small amount of hair ... this amount will need to fit inside the cone so you dont need too much hair again

2. fold the hair in the center .... and use plain thread the again make a small loop

3. then cut a smaller piece of leather ... about an inch to inch and a half long - maybe a quarter inch wide ... and cut a slit in one end of this strip. then "thread" this this leather piece into the loop of the hair, then "thread" one end of the leather piece into the slit cut on the other end, and pull tight (you should end up with the leather around the hair and a small tail of the leather sticking out)

4. if the leather piece is long enough, you can possible just pull it through the metal cone ... pull tight (if the leather piece is not long enough can use a needle and thread just to have something to pull it up through the metal cone ...

5. can use the leather piece extending out of the end of the metal cone ... to use to attach to your horse hair to the hair tie ..

you can also use fabric dye to dye your horse hair any color you want too ... before of course preparing it in the manner suggested above ...

good luck
Old 11-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
Hey there Chazziff!
That is a great way to explain that one! I do it nearly the same way except for the thread I use the sinew ties. The wax tends to hold the hair as well and when you feed it in with the leather lace I hide the sinew inside the cone with the hair!!!

I just had to come and edit! I almost forgot, a lady that I know here did this a wee bit differently, she actually cut a thin small strip of leather and glued it to the bottom of the cone and beaded that too! Gave it quite a different look!

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Last edited by Tibiki Kinew; 11-06-2008 at 11:17 AM..
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
yeah i've seen where ppl ... peyote stitch a small section ... around the horse hair ... looks cho!

my niece dyed some horse hair ... bright purple to match some of the beads in her beadwork ... dang if someone didnt walk up behind her and CUT the horse hair off her knife sheaf while she waiting in line somewhere!! she wasnt sure how she wasnt able to notice ... but the thread left behind ... was nicely cut LOL. so were on the look out for ... "stolen" purple horse hair LOL
Old 11-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
You are not kidding are you????????? Someone would stoop that low to do that to somebody elses regalia!
That's low!!!

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
is waiting ....

i kid ya not .... ok if ya like something ... ask how they did it or where they got it from ... but to like just take ... grrrrr!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Hey I wonder if they ever had the nerve to show it somewhere? They probably are the kind of person to brag that they made it too!!
GROWLSSSS too!
I would rather give it away than having that happen, sheesh bless them and thank them see how that makes them feel!
I just know what we dish out we get back ten fold,, so I am stopping here before I get what I do not want!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
is waiting ....

they might ... there was six tassles cut ... and bright purple horse hair? there's not too much of that floating around ... especially when the rest of the horse hair on her stuff (front hair ties, etc.) match it perfectly LOL
Sponsored Links