Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree55Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork Historical or contemporary? Historical or contemporary?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #41
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 18,705.35
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by docat View Post

LOL, that's pretty funny.

I have a couple of books on quilling, but all the ladies who instructed me through life were beaders, and I doubt they did much in quills at all. Of the family heirlooms passed down, none were quilled. Nothing quilled in old family photographs either.

I think quills also have to have special care to keep their nice looks, and over time, they don't hold up as well as beads. I own beaded items that are more than 100 years old. They are still intact, but I worry in the future about the thread. It doesn't age as well. The 19th century thread is not mercerized and twisted like modern thread, and it is OK now, but I wonder if it will be with more age. Sinew sewn items just keep going and going.

It makes me wonder if the thread we use today will age well. Salts will break down thread fiber as well as acids. I wonder if they make an acid free beading thread...

The old beads are really different than modern ones too. The modern ones are much nicer, more uniform, and more varieties of colors.
You make a good point. I wonder how our beading will hold up over the many generations. I use a lot of sinew for certain projects, and for my more modern beadwork I use primarily beadsmith's Fireline. So far it's holding up well, but who knows after 40 years or so.

I love old beads and things for their... oldness. But new materials are just so shiny!
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #42
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,576.33
Quote:

LOL, that's pretty funny.

I have a couple of books on quilling, but all the ladies who instructed me through life were beaders, and I doubt they did much in quills at all. Of the family heirlooms passed down, none were quilled. Nothing quilled in old family photographs either.

I think quills also have to have special care to keep their nice looks, and over time, they don't hold up as well as beads. I own beaded items that are more than 100 years old. They are still intact, but I worry in the future about the thread. It doesn't age as well. The 19th century thread is not mercerized and twisted like modern thread, and it is OK now, but I wonder if it will be with more age. Sinew sewn items just keep going and going.

It makes me wonder if the thread we use today will age well. Salts will break down thread fiber as well as acids. I wonder if they make an acid free beading thread...

The old beads are really different than modern ones too. The modern ones are much nicer, more uniform, and more varieties of colors.
A thread on thread!

The old beads seem heavier and they have almost this sandy texture to some of them and the colors are just so much better. They could make those colors in modern beads, I don't know why they don't. The colors nowadays are fake looking and too bright.
blueberry111 likes this.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #43
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrat_skull View Post
A thread on thread!

The old beads seem heavier and they have almost this sandy texture to some of them and the colors are just so much better. They could make those colors in modern beads, I don't know why they don't. The colors nowadays are fake looking and too bright.

You are right. Older beads are so much cooler. I really love them. I bought a jewelry cleaner to clean the beads, and then they really look cool. Junk gets caught in all the tiny crevices and they get dull looking, so the older beads clean up really well and then you can see the imperfections in the beads, they are small, but you can see them...definitely different than the new ones.
muskrat_skull likes this.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #44
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
LeannB has a reputation beyond repute
LeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,648.74
Quote:
You are right. Older beads are so much cooler. I really love them. I bought a jewelry cleaner to clean the beads, and then they really look cool. Junk gets caught in all the tiny crevices and they get dull looking, so the older beads clean up really well and then you can see the imperfections in the beads, they are small, but you can see them...definitely different than the new ones.[/SIZE]
OH, a jewelry cleaner...that is a GOOD idea. I bought a bottle of amethyst colored glass beads at a yard sale several years back. But they always seemed a bit dull and dirty looking; I dumped them in a big tea strainer and washed them with soap and water, and that helped. But they need some help!
docat likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #45
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannB View Post
OH, a jewelry cleaner...that is a GOOD idea. I bought a bottle of amethyst colored glass beads at a yard sale several years back. But they always seemed a bit dull and dirty looking; I dumped them in a big tea strainer and washed them with soap and water, and that helped. But they need some help!
I got mine at walmart jewelry counter. I either string them hank style or put them in a mesh bag that they won't fall out of and then drop them in the solution. They come out so super clean. I like using the mesh material better. In hanks they work out, but I have to leave them in longer so it shakes all the dirt in the hole. I strung them LOOSE on the homemade hank...and each hank was not large...about half the size of a normal hank strand.

You will be amazed. They will not look like new. The imperfections (which are beautiful) are still there, just 100 years of dirt isn't stuck in the places dirt sticks. Well worth it. And the old beads shine just like new beads shine!! They look as good as the day the trader took them out of his pack!
LeannB and muskrat_skull like this.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #46
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Quote:

Oh thank you!

Yes, POWWOWS is a way they can study human subjects without getting permission since it is a public source. They don't have to ask us. Also, supposedly we don't know they are there...so they assume we will "be ourselves." LOL
Great.... As if I weren't paranoid before about being stalked for research.... Lol!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #47
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
First thing to remember is that our traditional work evolved as materials became available to us. And it's absolutely true that what's contemporary now will become tradish... Look at raised beadwork. The Tuscarora developed that unique style in the 1800's.

But be mindful of what you create and don't step on toes... It's a fine line sometimes between contemporary and *******ization. Clothing has seen the greatest of this fine line. But beadwork seems to have more "forgiveness" because not just natives do it.
Eagle Plumes likes this.
Blackbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links