• 1 Post By pinklady
  • 1 Post By Whispering Eagle
  • 1 Post By WocusWoman
  • 1 Post By prettysmile:)
  • 1 Post By ChahtaGrasser
  • 1 Post By Tibiki Kinew
  • 1 Post By sbarnes88
  • 1 Post By Czechy

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork horse hair on ends of hairties? horse hair on ends of hairties?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
pinklady

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
pinklady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 426.00
Savings: 0.00
Arrow horse hair on ends of hairties?

just wondering if anyone out there knows how to do the horse hair on the ends of say ..hairties. i wanted to put it on those and on the end of my drop. but i dont know where or how to start.
thanks for any suggestions.
docat likes this.
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
You need to prepare the hair first by making tassles. By basically preparing it so the strands are folded in half, and then attached or wrapped with beading thread, sinew or leather, you will prevent it from easily being pulled out or falling out. Then you sew it into whatever you will use it for. Often I will dab a tiny bit of craft glue onto the "fold" before I wrap the top of the hair, this will make it a somewhat permanant bond.
docat likes this.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
pinklady

pinklady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 426.00
Wink

thank you so much, cant wait to get started.
docat likes this.
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
Soar like an Eagle

Whispering Eagle has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WocusWoman
You need to prepare the hair first by making tassles. By basically preparing it so the strands are folded in half, and then attached or wrapped with beading thread, sinew or leather, you will prevent it from easily being pulled out or falling out. Then you sew it into whatever you will use it for. Often I will dab a tiny bit of craft glue onto the "fold" before I wrap the top of the hair, this will make it a somewhat permanant bond.
Thank you soooooo much! You didn't know you were answering two people! LOL! I just recently purchased two horse tails (I mean skin still on them) to use in hair ties, etc. but also did not know how to secure the ends of them...I never thought of folding them in 1/2. Thank you for your help!

Whispering Eagle
docat likes this.
Whispering Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #5
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Cool!
docat likes this.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

prettysmile:) is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 963.84
Hello, I too had the same question and was just going to post a thread to ask then saw this thread. I used horsehair for the first time on a small medallion and the horsehair was already prepackaged, the horsehair was straight and dry. It didn't turn out very well as the strands didn't stay together and frayed out. How can I prevent that from happening using horsehair that is like that? I folded it over as you described but didn't think of dabbing some glue on the inside of the fold. Thanks!
docat likes this.

"A warm smile is the universal language of kindness"
William Arthur Ward
prettysmile:) is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Chahta Champion

ChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 239.93
I know this is probably a stupid question, but how do you dye the horse hair?
docat likes this.
ChahtaGrasser is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
For the stray hair to stop it, wsh it first and add a handfull of conditioner and rub towards the ends, do not go up and down, that gets messy, pull down only and evenly.
To dyeing of the hair, just like human hair only leave it twice the time for a real solid colour.

I use a drop of GOOP glue, it stays plyable and holds better, never cracks, never lets go.
I even glue rawhide onto wood with the GOOP so ten stars for that stuff.
I am now in the process of bagging lots of hair, even a whole big bag of roach hair for those seeking it!
docat likes this.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
Teen Dancer

Items Present
sbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond repute
sbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,563.38
Talking

Just wanted to say think you for the post, and the answers I've been wanting to use some of the horsehair I get every spring from my horses(they are minis :-) ) but never knew how, I'm going to try it this spring!
docat likes this.
sbarnes88 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
coloring horse hair

To dye horsehair, you need to start off with the light colored hair. Black or brown won't change colors. I think you can use the full strength Rit liquid dye or any thats labeled for dying proteins like silk or wool. Wash the hair first with a good detergent to degrease it so the color uptake will be more even.
docat likes this.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links