Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork How much wouldyou charge? How much wouldyou charge?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2004, 04:00 PM   #1
exhausted beader

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
bdn_ndn_grl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
How much would you charge?

I just got a job for a fully beaded men's traditional vest. He wants the full front and half the back beaded but I don't know what to charge. A lot of people tell me that I charge to little for my stuff so I thought I would get some ideas on pricing... one person said $700 while another said $2000...what do you think?

Last edited by bdn_ndn_grl; 10-13-2004 at 10:01 AM..
bdn_ndn_grl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2004, 04:48 PM   #2
Member since March 2000.

Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60.00
Savings: 1.00
Hmmmmm...

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
Junior Dancer

lsijohn is on a distinguished road
I have taken orders for vests. For a vest with front beaded panels I charged $1200 for one and have gotten $2500 for one of my other vest with front beaded panels. But for a vest with front and back fully beaded I'd charge about $3500.

I try to keep my prices low, too. But you can't short yourself because a lot of time is put into getting a piece like that done.

You will probably put two to three hundred dollars minimum into beads alone. Then if you will be the one finishing the piece you will also need to consider the cost of materials for that as well. Depending on what you use to finish the piece that can be expensive, too.

My last vest was a fully beaded front/back vest. When I took the order I thought it would be a piece of cake and I'd have it done in no time. But that project felt like it drug on and on. In reality I only spent about 4 months working on it. I bead in the evenings after work and put 3 to 4 hours a night into my projects and usually devote my entire weekend to beading especially if I am trying to get a commission piece done.

I do trades, too. So sometimes the trade is a factor in my pricing.

Hope this helps.
lsijohn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
There are many factors to consider. The size of the beads you're using, the intricacy of the design, the amount of time you'll spend on it, the material for the vest, the quality of your beading.

I hate pricing my work. It would be nice to have a web site showing beaded items and other things, and how much they sold for. Then you could compare and adjust your prices.

One of my friends only sells to white people and she charges a LOT! She makes orders for ndns, but then trades for things. That works out better for her and she doesn't have to feel bad about charging local people her high prices.

Last week I took a workshop in production sewing. The teacher showed us how to price out our products. Add all the costs of materials, don't forget thread and needles, even wax! Add the cost of your time and she gave us a sheet that ranged from $5.00 an hour to $20. Add your overhead usually 10% for things like rent, lighting, etc... THEN you could add a profit margin if you want, otherwise you could consider the cost of your time to be your profit.

You also have to consider what the market will handle!! Confusing??!!!? We sure were. A lot of the things we priced out could not be sold around here for that much!! I priced out my grandson's grass dance outfit and would have to charge $200 to make a profit. No one around here would pay that much for an outfit for a 2 year old.

Anyway, good luck!
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2004, 10:46 AM   #5
exhausted beader

Thanks

that does help with the pricing of this piece but I just he goes for the price I am going to charge him but it does take a lot of time! I just finished my one year old nieces fully beaded fancy dance outfit and charged her dad $400.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:44 PM   #6
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
I would say for an adult-sized vest, charge a minimum of $1000. Of course, there will be variables to consider but I think that is a good estimate. I am working on a fully beaded front/back vest right now and just labor costs alone will run at least $1000.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2004, 10:34 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

randyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,563.78
Savings: 947.32
I did a fully beaded vest in about 6 months working an average of 8-10 hours a week. Its a long long haul. I have been asked and personally, I wouldn't do it for less than 2500.00. Depending on your beads, you are going to need between 2 and 3 kilos which is going to run at least 200.00 plus base material and lining. If you are beading it on a nice hide then I wouldnt blink if you went to 3000.00.

Its a whole lot of work......
Old 10-11-2004, 08:38 PM   #8
~smiles~

PRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond reputePRINCESS04-05 has a reputation beyond repute
1500-2000 depending on size
PRINCESS04-05 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2004, 12:57 AM   #9
Powwow King

redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
Credits: 221.00
all i can say is........i want a fully beaded outfit........lolz..
redthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2004, 08:48 AM   #10
CISCO GEEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by redthunder
all i can say is........i want a fully beaded outfit........lolz..
Same here
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2004, 09:22 AM   #11
exhausted beader

I just got another order for a fully beaded men's tradish. It seems that I can't find work but once I do get something, everybody else wants stuff too.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:14 PM   #12
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
well if you ever find yourself being overwhelmed, you could point them to the classifieds here in the trading post to either advertise for someone to do the work for them or find someone advertising they do the work.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:39 PM   #13
Junior Dancer

lsijohn is on a distinguished road
I have found myself in the same boat as bdn ndn grl.

Once people see a project I am working they start thinking of things they need, and place an order. I enjoy beading, though and will usually take the order even if I have other things going.

I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't beading! :Jumping:
lsijohn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2004, 09:39 AM   #14
exhausted beader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfringe
I have found myself in the same boat as bdn ndn grl.

Once people see a project I am working they start thinking of things they need, and place an order. I enjoy beading, though and will usually take the order even if I have other things going.

I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't beading! :Jumping:
I feel the same way you do redfringe I wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't beading!
Old 10-22-2004, 12:27 AM   #15
Tiny Tot Dancer

Drippin With Beads has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 240.76
Pricing beadwork is a subject that consistently confuses me. I am new to Powwows.com and this is the first time I have posted a comment to a thread. This reply may get a little long, but please read and I look forward to your comments.

I have been beading since I was 5 years old, 35 years now. Mostly for family, friends and my self. The past 8 years for others. Doing work for others and pricing beadwork is difficult because I would do beadwork even if no one wanted it. Everyone who knows me will tell you that I will die with a needle in my hand!

On the issue of pricing, I have an analogy. Please go with me on this…; If you make and provide food for others you are in several different categories. There is a Cook and a Chef. A cook may be someone who can grill hamburgers at Mickey Dee’s, or make eggs and pancakes at Denny’s. They are good at what they do and the pay for this type of cook runs $6.50 and $8.00 per hour. Then there is a Chef. They go through years of training, make great meals, use the best ingredients … these people work at very nice restaurants and make $12 to $18 per hr. and up. People who eat at these nice restaurants know they are getting a better product. Better food, better atmosphere, better service, memories of a great time… This warrants the restaurant to charge more and people will pay it.

So the question is, which one are you. A Cook or a Chef? When you bead, do you use the best materials? Do you design the patterns that will please the one your doing the work for? Do you bead with accuracy so the patterns are symmetric? Do you pull out lanes if the beadwork is not looking right? Do you finish-out the piece to look good? Do you bead in a way that will make your beadwork last for years or generations? --- If you said yes to these questions then you are probably a Chef, and you should be paid accordingly.

If you do these things then what is your time worth? Redfringe has said that it takes 4 months, 3-4 hours a night, and weekends to complete a fully beaded vest. Approximate hours would be 500. If you are a chef, then you should be paid accordingly and at $12 an hour, your vest would cost $6,000. There are some bead workers that can bead faster, but we all must consider what our time is worth and what is fair. Czechy said that the labor for a fully beaded vest was $1000 min. Even at $10 per hr., Czechy would need to complete the vest in 100 hours. I just don’t see how a fully beaded vest can be completed in that time. I consider myself somewhat fast and it takes me about 300 hrs to bead and finish-out a very nice vest (this does not include cost of materials)

Please don’t get me wrong. I would be beading doorknob covers if that were all there was to bead!!! I am also not strapped for money (thank God), and I am not out to over charge people for doing beadwork for them. Just very good beadwork for a fair price. Just as all of us who do good work should!!!

So it comes back to “what to charge”. There is one more factor, which is what price will the market pay. Redfringe and randyinkc are right on when they say $3,000 for a fully beaded vest. A little more if the pattern is more intricate or the vest is XL or if you have to bead with 13 cuts.

It comes down to whether you are a Cook or a Chef, and what is your time worth.
Drippin With Beads is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2004, 03:05 AM   #16
Powwow King

redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
Credits: 221.00
Damn, its tuff being a poor in'din who can't bead!
redthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2004, 09:40 AM   #17
exhausted beader

cook or chef?

Drippin with beads - That really put things into perspective for me. I haven't been beading for a long time maybe 10 years off and on. Like you I mainly did work for my family, friends and self. Just in about the past 2 years I have made outfits for others. I personally think I don't charge enough but also I think when i tell people a price they think it is too much and since I am strapped for cash I find myself doing it for less. I work full time at a school sometimes 10 hours a day and at night I have to shuffle my home, my kids and my second job which is making outfits. The questions you asked about being a cook or chef made me realize that all my answers are yes. Which I know I am a chef. I do not take my work to be just a hobby like some people I do it to help my family survive. I am the type of person who will redo something 10 times because I don't like the way it looks even though everyone else says it looks fine. I believe that we are artists and if we do not put out quality work will not not get the jobs we know we can do. It is not just a beaded vest it is your name and quality of your craftmanship that will bring in that fully beaded outfit tomorrow. By the that is right down the road for me. I hope I can get it finished in 4-5 months before powwow season time again. Thanks for your comments I truly appreciate it.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:29 PM   #18
Teen Dancer

Dakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond repute
Dakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Under-charging

I have been beading for about 20 yrs and i think that i still under-charge for my work......most peeps don't realize just how long it takes to make things.....I definatly know that I'm a chef
Dakota-GiftedGal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2004, 12:41 PM   #19
a Peace of.........

Peacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond repute
Location: just where the southern plains end...and the hill country begin...
I think that you should value into your work...We have all sold things that went for just about what we put into minus the hours we spent on them...I seen some reasonable ideas put forth here and have to agree...be the chef...
Old 12-02-2004, 12:50 PM   #20
Teen Dancer

Dakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond repute
Dakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond reputeDakota-GiftedGal has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Agreement

I think that if they don't have the time to make, the stuff that we make......We should get the full value of the beading.....many of us have been working for yrs to hown out skills.....
Dakota-GiftedGal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links