Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork Loom Beading Question Loom Beading Question

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
quiya is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Unhappy Loom Beading Question

I live in Washington and am 1/2 Navajo and 1/2 Spanard and grew up in Southern California. Growing up my mother never spoke of her heritage or her family. I am now a grown woman with grown children and grandchildren and have begun learning about my native heritage. I have taught myself loom beading and have gotten very good and it. I just have not been able to find out how to finish a bracelet, i.e. put a clasp (how). I would really like to learn how to make a button out of the beads, that looks like a big knot, also the Hidden Stitch used to finish the ends. If anyone can send me a contact name and e-mail.

e-mail: quiya1@comcast.net
quiya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Beadworker

BeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Quiya,

I know the bracelet type you are referring to. They are not, however, considered a style of native beadwork, but they are quite attractive. You will have to look for books or web sites that deal with non-Indian beadwork to get the answers you are looking for. I believe there are some in this forum that are clued into those circles, I am not. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
BeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Thru my cameras lens

lttlnative is a jewel in the rough
Though I would stop by and say "hi" where in Washington do you live? I also just started bead looming and am looking for some answers. Nice to meet you.
lttlnative is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

quiya is an unknown quantity at this point
Another Loom Bead Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMan
Quiya,

I know the bracelet type you are referring to. They are not, however, considered a style of native beadwork, but they are quite attractive. You will have to look for books or web sites that deal with non-Indian beadwork to get the answers you are looking for. I believe there are some in this forum that are clued into those circles, I am not. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Hey BeadMan,
Since I am self taught and have no one to show me, I thought this was the way to finsih my work. I have seen this style at several PowWows I have attended. So I have a new question for you... How then are braclets finished Native Style. Thanks for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate the help.
quiya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

crowtribe is a splendid one to beholdcrowtribe is a splendid one to beholdcrowtribe is a splendid one to behold
Crow Tribe question on loom beading?

I would like to make a bracelet using the loom with deerhide and metal bracelet. How would i start this project? ANY SUGGESTIONS???
crowtribe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2006, 05:41 AM   #6
Fry Bread Taste Tester

turtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Sekoh quiya
ive beaded braclets for the kids and grands iv'e used the loom and used the daisy chain method also lazy stiched on thin leather and streched over a metal blank, i liked the daisy stich method better you dont have the fuss and bulk of the loom thread ends and with the daisy stich you can tapper or expand with ease.. finising is easy just tie good tight knot and weave the tail back through a few beads and snip off excess ...i always used a large cool bead instead of the bead knot thingy ....One book ive always liked is "Indian Bead-Weaving Patterns" revised edition 1984 by Horace Goodhue ....publisher-.bead-craft po box 4563 St. Paul MN 55104 .......Library of Congress catalog card No.84-71456 an indepth how-to guide on chain weaving, loom weaving ECT. inexpensvie to .....good luck hope i helped a little My oldest Son Jeven lives in carbanano (terrable spelling) wash. bout an hour out off Seattle....him and his Family Attend the local pow-wows.. he said they have some real goods ones there. Maybe yall meet up,,he wouldnt be hard to miss.. he'd be the good looking MOHAWK man all the young girls be eyeing.( JK )actually he be the frazzled guy toting 5 of my hellion granddaughters around......best wishes to you and your family
Onen Ki Wahi
Old 07-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

ndnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 222.67
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiya View Post
I live in Washington and am 1/2 Navajo and 1/2 Spanard and grew up in Southern California. Growing up my mother never spoke of her heritage or her family. I am now a grown woman with grown children and grandchildren and have begun learning about my native heritage. I have taught myself loom beading and have gotten very good and it. I just have not been able to find out how to finish a bracelet, i.e. put a clasp (how). I would really like to learn how to make a button out of the beads, that looks like a big knot, also the Hidden Stitch used to finish the ends. If anyone can send me a contact name and e-mail.

e-mail: quiya1@comcast.net
Say I'm half Chickasaw and have just started my beadwork too. I'm so glad that you posted this on here because I had the same question. If you go to Youtube, there's also some good instructional videos that may help you too. I haven't found a really good one yet, but if you find one, let me know too. Oh and I did check out this one at the library but I can't remember the name of it but it showed a way on how to finish beading from a loom too. If I stumble across it again, I'll let you know. It was full instructional video and it showed now to finish too.
ndnchickasawgrl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnchickasawgrl View Post
Say I'm half Chickasaw and have just started my beadwork too. I'm so glad that you posted this on here because I had the same question. If you go to Youtube, there's also some good instructional videos that may help you too. I haven't found a really good one yet, but if you find one, let me know too. Oh and I did check out this one at the library but I can't remember the name of it but it showed a way on how to finish beading from a loom too. If I stumble across it again, I'll let you know. It was full instructional video and it showed now to finish too.
This is a six year old thread. I doubt the OP is still around to answer you.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links