Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork new quill work thread... new quill work thread...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2003, 11:06 AM   #1
hidatsawmn26

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
new quill work thread...

eventually i will post a new quill work introduction on here ...its just gonna take some time here...maybe becasue theres so many ways to do quill work i should start something simple...when i first started when i was little i learned wrapping....the intro for wrapping i'll start pictures next week and display it next week sometime....i never did a intro before....one thing is i'm still trying to learn looming quills...so i hope yall can hold n until next week before i start this intro ...becca
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2003, 11:27 AM   #2
hidatsawmn26

note** : Also there will be a intro discussion on dyeing quills...normally i use commercial dye...i know its not traditional to use commercial dye *grinz* but hay i'm a college student *lol*
But you could always go route of buying already dyed quills...cheapest i found is crazy crow..later on next week i'll let you know how much to use for what..

To prepare for dyeing quills:
discard all hairs but save them for any use later...i rinse them off and let them air dry...

To store them: i use canning jars
-becca
Old 10-19-2003, 08:50 AM   #3
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Savings: 1.00
Thanks Becca!!!! I look forward to seeing your intro!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2003, 02:46 AM   #4
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
DIGGIT!! TEACH ME !!!
Old 10-20-2003, 11:50 AM   #5
Junior Dancer

musicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Wow!...Right on time with this. I was just talking to my friends last night on how I need to start finishing up a dozen unfinished projects but I got stuck on the quill work with a few. I just am not the greatest at all with that.
I'm looking forward to your intro. :D
musicwielder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2003, 11:53 AM   #6
StrongWillowsSister

WolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond repute
oh yeahhhhhhhhhh ...makes note sleep before next week. LOL ..cant wait to see this one.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:45 AM   #7
Artist and Entrepreneur

warhoop is a jewel in the rough
I've only done a couple of pieces with quill, but thats with birch bark though. With the prices of quills and the selection that you get with your orders are pretty slim, so here are some money saving tips. You could find a dead porky on the side of a highway where porcupine are abundant. But alot of times most are damaged or you'll have to sweep them off the highway.
Myself I like to find a live porcupine and drape a blanket over it and poke at him a couple of times witha long stick but be careful you don't take all his quills and leave him defenseless. And another thing watch out for the tail they like to swing it at you if you get to close.
The best thing about doing it this way is that all the quills come out in pattern according to size.

You can also dye your quills with RIT dyes. I'll don't have much time to explain how to. So keep an eye out for my next post its pretty easy.

OH yeah whatever you do and this is most important, no matter how cute they look DON'T hug a PORKY.:p
warhoop is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2003, 01:54 AM   #8
Artist and Entrepreneur

Well heres the directions on how to dye the quills using RIT dyes.
First I usually soak them in luke warm water I think it helps the dye set in quicker into the quills. Then follow the instructions on the box add it to a saucepan but DON'T add salt to it. when boiling add the quills. Let them sit in there until your desired color.
But thats a little tricky to. When your finished witheverything the quills will be lighter than you want so leave them in for a little longer. I might take a couple of batches of quills but you'll finally get the hang of it. Then take out the quills and let them dry because they will be really soft. when they are dried put them into a bowl of luke warm water again, and stir them around to wash of any excess dye because it will bleed if they are not rinsed. then take them out for the final drying.
Then you are finished.
:)
warhoop is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2003, 03:59 AM   #9
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
allright.... keep up the thread... I still need to learn!
Old 11-08-2003, 02:11 PM   #10
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Lemme guess dying the quills is the easiest part??????;)

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2003, 05:57 PM   #11
Junior Dancer

musicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond reputemusicwielder has a reputation beyond repute
am anxiously awaiting the next step. :D
musicwielder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2003, 09:05 PM   #12
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
I've heard of people using Kool-Aid to dye quills.
I've only used Rit myself and have found the liquid concentrate works a little better than the powder form.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2003, 04:03 PM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

Reez is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool thread ! I use Rit dye but have real problems with green. They never come out right. Is there a trick to getting a true green color? The purple, red and blues come out just fine. The "army" drab just doesn't do it for me.
The hunter green didn't go well either...

(pots of dye an ugly quills everywhere!!)
Reez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2003, 10:51 PM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

wa-nu-ken is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 140.00
dying quills

Reez

Try dying your quills in a brass or copper kettle. The metal will act as a mordant and will crisp up your green dye. You might try an iron kettle or pot but I haven't used one so I don't know if that works as a mordant.

I have been doing quillwork for 5 years now and like to work in the mid 18th century style of woodland quillwork, although I have done some more modern plains style stuff.

I have dyed quills both in commercial dyes and plant dyes. I like to use the analines because it is much easier and faster.

I know about that "draping the blanket/towel over the porky" concept of getting quills but you can never get enough. I get my quills from a farmer who shoots them. Then I skin the critter and tack it's hide on a piece of plywood. Then I can remove them at will and I get ALL the good quills. I pull them with a pair of long needlenose pliers that I dipped in that plasti-coat so the jaws won't damage the quills as i pull them off.

I like this thread and hope to learn some good tricks.
wa-nu-ken is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2003, 12:37 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

Reez is an unknown quantity at this point
Wa-Nu-Ken,
Thanks much !! Grin, hadn't thought of quills like egg whites. Usually use stainless steel pot for dying. I rinse the quills off with vinegar to prevent bleeding of the color. But what do I know? Figured it was kinda like tie-dying t-shirts.
Looking forward to more tips...
Carry on....
:)
Reez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2003, 01:16 AM   #16
Pare Bowlegs

Quilled bag.

I don't know if this picture will show up or not. Its a quilled Seminole bag that was given by a Chief to a Sgt(?)Mendenhall during/after the Revolutionary War.

Pare-
Attached Thumbnails
rev.war-quilled-seminole-bag..jpg  
Old 12-17-2003, 02:06 AM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

wa-nu-ken is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 140.00
Oh, yeah!

I've seen that bag before. i just never knew it's history. Great imagery. Never knew Seminole people were doing quillwork. Great info.
wa-nu-ken is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2003, 02:59 AM   #18
Artist and Entrepreneur

Hey thanks for the tip on skining the porcupine. I have a porky that I have been trying to de-quill. And it is a long, long process.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:02 AM   #19
Past KARMA Queen

wildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond reputewildwoodswoman has a reputation beyond repute
Why did this thread stop? I haven't even begun to learn!!:D
wildwoodswoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2004, 08:51 PM   #20
Tiny Tot Dancer

thestogs is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 30.00
dyes, etc.

I've used both the powder and liquid Rit dyes with equal success. And yes, rinse with vinegar to set the dye. Dye far more than you think you will need because you will discard a lot of quills that may not be suitable for your project and I find it quite difficult to match dye lots of quills, even when using the same brand and color.

I sort the quills as I do my quillwork since I rarely have time to sit down and pick through bags of quills at another time.

I have two set ups for doing quillwork -- one for home and one for travel. I use a large lap board on which I sort my quills, flattened then, etc. It was part of a kitchen counter! For travel, I take along a smaller block of hardwood -- about 4 inches square -- which gives me plenty of room for flattening quills on a solid surface.

My favorite flattener is a six inch tip of a deer antler. It is very comfortable to work with and flattens quills quite well. I've watched Lakota women use old spoons, finger nails and the antler/bone pieces to flatten quills. Find something that works and have at it.

If you are just getting started, pick up a book or two on the subject. "A Quillworkers Companion" is quite good and I recommend it for someone getting started. Next, thing, invest in some patience. Don't panic when things don't go well to start. Like anything, it takes some time and practice, but once you get comfortable with various techniques, I find it faster than lazy stitch beadwork.

More later if you find it helpful........
thestogs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links