Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork new quill work thread... new quill work thread...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2004, 12:26 PM   #21
Woodtick Inspector

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Awful_Menom_Woman is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Quickie Quill Question

Does anyone know how to make a feather with the quill as the inside baseline? like beads coming out of each side of the quill???
Awful_Menom_Woman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2004, 12:46 PM   #22
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
another fast way of getting the quills off of a porky is with a strofoam cup,,, works great and easier to remove than from a blanket,,,that gets to be messy,,, as well for dying quills I cut the tips off before hand, that way the dye can get inside the quill as well and the colors are truer,,, I pick lots of quills every year from road kills,,why buy!!!
I keep the claws as well for making jewelery!!!

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2004, 02:33 PM   #23
Shmiles With Eskimo Pride

nt_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond repute
nt_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,364.92
Thanks y'all for the tips ... lol (no pun intended)
i have worked with quills in the past, but, gettin em clean - hmpf ... now i know. thanks again

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
Join my on my face book fan page:
nt_inuk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2004, 02:24 PM   #24
Junior Dancer

morningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 591.33
Savings: 157.69
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestogs
I've used both the powder and liquid Rit dyes with equal success. And yes, rinse with vinegar to set the dye. Dye far more than you think you will need because you will discard a lot of quills that may not be suitable for your project and I find it quite difficult to match dye lots of quills, even when using the same brand and color.

I sort the quills as I do my quillwork since I rarely have time to sit down and pick through bags of quills at another time.

I have two set ups for doing quillwork -- one for home and one for travel. I use a large lap board on which I sort my quills, flattened then, etc. It was part of a kitchen counter! For travel, I take along a smaller block of hardwood -- about 4 inches square -- which gives me plenty of room for flattening quills on a solid surface.

My favorite flattener is a six inch tip of a deer antler. It is very comfortable to work with and flattens quills quite well. I've watched Lakota women use old spoons, finger nails and the antler/bone pieces to flatten quills. Find something that works and have at it.

If you are just getting started, pick up a book or two on the subject. "A Quillworkers Companion" is quite good and I recommend it for someone getting started. Next, thing, invest in some patience. Don't panic when things don't go well to start. Like anything, it takes some time and practice, but once you get comfortable with various techniques, I find it faster than lazy stitch beadwork.

More later if you find it helpful........
you are very helpful!!! Keep posting.....
Old 07-28-2004, 04:44 PM   #25
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
HEY there everyone, Ijust found a fast way of gettin the quills off of a porky,,, forceps that lock, they work great, but you need the big ones. I got a pair for removing hooks from fish and they work great to pick up rows of quills and just drop them in a bag. In the mean time since this posting I have piocked up more than a dozen killed porkies and removed all the quills and even went so far as to cut the paws off and am now ready to cut the claws free for making decorations. I have 8 big bags of quills for sale so far!!! The guard hair is in one zip lock bag and as soon as I get enough of them I will have a roach kit ready for real hair,,,no fake!

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:03 PM   #26
Head Dancer

Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,765.68
LOL never heard of cutting off the tips b/f dyeing but each to his/her own...and throwing a blanket and flattening w/something else..but anyways interesting..
Lakota_winyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2004, 05:08 AM   #27
PowWows.com Addicts

Yelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond repute
Are quills good forever???

I have quills I would give away if someone wants them. Quilling is not for me, but can't seem to just throw them out, too dangerous. Would be great if you wanted to hide your money. Imagine sticking your hand in a bag and get a hand full of quills.
Yelloweyes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2004, 04:38 PM   #28
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Well those quills will last a long time, and if you can't find anyone soak them for a while till they are soft and pliable, then you can do just about anything with them even crumple them!!! They fold like drinking straws when they are softend.
When you cut the ends off the dye goes through more to a solid color, if the ends are left on the colors go through only partially and blend into different shades all the way top pastels. So if you cut the ends off the color goes through and turns nearly solid.
I have some quills that have been around since the early 60's and they are still okay.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:04 PM   #29
Junior Dancer

sweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond repute
sweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond reputesweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond reputesweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond reputesweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond reputesweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond reputesweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond reputesweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond reputesweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond reputesweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond reputesweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond reputesweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond reputesweet_singin_sista has a reputation beyond repute
just learnin!

In my younger years I have always seen my grandma n great grandma doing quill work. I can still remember on how they did certain things w/ the quills and birchbark.

Today, I have took on a new thing to do for myself n thats learning how to do just what my grandmothers did. Its fun and interesting stuff. I kinda get excited doing things n making new designs. I dont know the names of certain things you can do w/ them -I just do it. So, yeah INTRO TO QUILL work posting will be something great to read n see.

Right now, I am working on a few peices for my regalia. (First time dancer, too!) The drop that will hang on my chest will be quillled up mixed w/ some glass cut beads. Right now, its going good - Outling the feathers, a border and floral designs. For this being my first time and self teaching along the way its lookin pretty good.

My concern is, how do u maintain them so they will not break or pop out? I am using clear nail polish to keep them down after cutting them, it also gives them that shine! I guess I should add that I am not doing it on birchbark tho. Found some decent material that is good to do beadwork on as well.

Recently just got 4 road kills and brought them into the city. (crazy for neighbours to watch the skinning of in my backyard, haha)...anyhow, 4 porky's and alot of projects to come. I want to do boxes too...thats my next thing to teach myself. Its also good to show my grandma as I am going n her givin me helpful tips n tellin me that I am doing a great job!!!

KEEP THIS THREAD GOING!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 03:56 PM   #30
NORTHERN TRADITIONAL

hopping crow is an unknown quantity at this point
Great........... Ready To Learn
hopping crow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2004, 06:29 PM   #31
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
well if you are going to make boxes, make sure that you soak the birch bark in hot water so that it gets soft and bends easily, if not it will rip on you. as for the quills I found out this year that the best stain is with the quills intact, if you cut the ends off the might get a better stain but they collapse on you. I have so far this year picked up 23 porkies and got a lot of quills. Keep the guard hair too, that is what they use for the roaches. Keep the claws for jewellery!!!

Old 04-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #32
Pow Wow Visitor

sugarcrm is an unknown quantity at this point
I only done 1 piece with quill. I had'nt picked up any after that I HOPE you can teach me how to do it without stressing lol, what size quills? thanks Sugar

"If I had to explain, you would'nt understand"
sugarcrm is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #33
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
[QUOTE=sugarcrm]I only done 1 piece with quill. I had'nt picked up any after that I HOPE you can teach me how to do it without stressing lol, what size quills? thanks Sugar
Hey There,,,the first thing is get quills that are all the same size and all the same lenght, just like beading you want to stay with the same size, so if you get a porky sort the quills before you even think of your next project. Quills are worth their weight in gold so to speak. Just price them. They sell for about 18.- for a hundred quills. I now ship them out in bags of about 2500 at a time for friends.
Once you have the quills sorted try and get a bunch that are the same size as a wooden tooth pick, leave the ends on for dying. After dying with ends on the quill doesn't collapse. The bigger quills without ends shrivel after dying,,,opps!!! The quills can be used on jewelery like regular beads. On clothing the ends can be folded under and hidden. On birch bark if you want to do it that way, draw a pattern on the piece and with a sewing needle that is a bit bigger than the quill punch holesat the edge of the pattern and stick the quills throughfrom both ends, then fold over and cut of the excess. Once you have the pattern done, just add the same shape of birch bark backing and that will hide the tips. Just tell me what you are missing and I will be glad to help.

By the way I am about to start looking for road kill porkies again!!!
If you need more details get in touch with me!!

Old 05-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #34
Divine Scientific Genius

DeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,162.00
Savings: 569.25
hey, I'm alway hurtin' for quills. lemme know how much and we'll talk.

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.
DeusExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2005, 07:54 PM   #35
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Quills

Howdy, DeusExMachina!!!
My bags of quills are on average in the thousands of quills in a bag that is 10 by 12 and filled to the hilt. I only charge $40.- a bag plus the shipping. I already am in the process of bagging my cleaned quills again. Oh, I never use chemicals to clean them, so the natural finish remains. I take all the hair out toooooooo.
E-mail me if you are serious on buying, otherwise they will go out west again to my big buyer.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:33 PM   #36
Tiny Tot Dancer

White_Shield will become famous soon enough
Location: North Dakota Native born. Residing in Colorado Springs CO. for now.
Smile I want to learn....

This is a good thread. I always wanted to learn Quilling. Maybe after my current bead project.. I'll try to quill.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:02 PM   #37
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ron S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,809.97
obtaining and dying quills

The best source for quills is to pluck them yourself. Most of what you get from trading companies is unusable. I just bought 10 hides from ebay. I have also bought one from Matoska trading but it was much more expensive than ebay. The best way to remove quills from a hide is to soak it in an old ice chest for a couple of days. Use plain water with a little Dawn dish washing soap to cut down the oiliness. It can get quite nasty but it works the best and fastest.

I let the quills air dry and when I'm ready to use them I seperate and discard the underbody hair. Wash the quills in warm water and Dawn dish washing soap. You need to remove the oily quality of the quills for them to dye properly. Rinse well and allow to dry. To dye the quills, I use a pot on the stovetop. I find that they dye best when the dye solution temperature is just below boiling. If you start to see bubbles reduce the heat. Boiling the quills will damage them.

Dye your quills a shade darker than you need then rinse them with cool water. Allow to dry before using. Also, dye many more than you think you'll need. You'll end up discarding a bunch that you thought you would use and matching dye lots is next to impossible.

Hope this helps.
Ron
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2005, 08:56 AM   #38
Fry Bread Taste Tester

turtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond repute
quillwork

Sekoh exellent thread
i started quillwork a long time ago ..had many problems and never quite mastered it ....i keep going back to it though. i seen a guy use a small piece of a wooden dowel to roll the quill flat.so he didnt have that line in the middle of the quill. I tried to do it that way but had trouble with them poping the air out..i guess i didnt pay enough attention..please keep posting .Onen
Old 01-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #39
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Cool

Hey, I got a bag full of quills sent to me, they are so well dyed in stripes and solids, the lady that does them wants to sell them. If anyone is interested I can send pics via the regular email and send you here address and the pics at the same time too.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #40
Artist and Entrepreneur

warhoop is a jewel in the rough
Your probably going to think I'm crazy for this...... OH Yeah I am. Believe it or not I get my quills from LIVE porkies. It's a lot easier than plucking them and when you get them they are already sorted out in the various sizes. My wife got a kick out of seeing me do it the first time. It's quite the rush. Especially when they start swinging their tail at you. I have been lucky enough to not get stuck in the leg by them. You don't get a whole lot but the ones you do get are not broken and like I said all seperated from the smallest at the tail all the way up to the longest in the middle of the back.