Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork new quill work thread... new quill work thread...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #41
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Ron S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,809.97
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhoop
My wife got a kick out of seeing me do it the first time. It's quite the rush. Especially when they start swinging their tail at you.

Be sure to have your wife film it. There may be some money to be made on "America's Funniest Home Videos". *LOL*
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #42
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
Keep it up ,,, and yes, I want to see the video!!!
I still prefer picking up the quills with the long doctors forceps, I get about 20 at a time.
I send them out to Vancouver BC and there they get converted to colourful beads and the lady sells them without a problem.
She makes solid colours and then stripes, the more stripes of varying colours the more they cost. But she is incredible. This way I am passing on quills to her and she does the work that gives her pride, there is no one else that I know of that does so much detailed work on a single quill and then copies that by a hundred at a time. some quills she told me take nearly 10 hours to complete with a blend of colours.
Anyone wanting these can email me and I will be glad to set you up with her address. Then she can send pics and prices.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2006, 09:54 PM   #43
little bird

little bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond repute
little bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond reputelittle bird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pare Bowlegs
I don't know if this picture will show up or not. Its a quilled Seminole bag that was given by a Chief to a Sgt(?)Mendenhall during/after the Revolutionary War.

Pare-
Hi, I don't usually come over here, but I saw this. Mendenhal is my husband's relatives!
Old 02-28-2006, 07:37 PM   #44
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
It is now official, her quills have been bought by a wholesaler and ,,yes for jewellery, so if you want in on quills that take up to six hours each to dye in miniature stripes and bands, got a sample passed to me and sold if for her on the first showing. Her prices are still toooooo cheap considering the labour of love involved with each indiviual quill.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #45
Teen Dancer

musicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond repute
there is some step by step guides on nativetech.org (org, com?) but its pretty good on how to do zig zag stitch and its shows pictures on the steps to give an idea..only thing it doesnt have anything on looming quills...it does have illustration on how to wrap quills....its rather incomplete but its a excellent source for those who are like me who have to see it in order to do it sort of deal..with that website i taught my ma how to wrap she taught me the stitches (techniques involveing quillwork)..it even has a Q and A forum ...like i remember there was a question on dyeing quills its a good one.. it also has a quiz thing on how well you know your dyes...yall should check it out
musicedu77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2006, 09:14 AM   #46
Teen Dancer

marie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reez
Wa-Nu-Ken,
Thanks much !! Grin, hadn't thought of quills like egg whites. Usually use stainless steel pot for dying. I rinse the quills off with vinegar to prevent bleeding of the color. But what do I know? Figured it was kinda like tie-dying t-shirts.
Looking forward to more tips...
Carry on....
:)
Hello everyone! I have been waiting for this for such along time. Thank-you so much.......I bought a bag of quills from a Powwow for my earrings and they were too thin(most of them), didn`t know what to do with the rest.Here in Ontario, they are hard to come by. Look forward to learning more from you. Enjoy your day.
marie_popcan@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #47
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hello everyone! I have been waiting for this for such along time. Thank-you so much.......I bought a bag of quills from a Powwow for my earrings and they were too thin(most of them), didn`t know what to do with the rest.Here in Ontario, they are hard to come by. Look forward to learning more from you. Enjoy your day.

Hi there. I am Tibiki Kinew, also Peter.

I read the thread you wrote on the quills, saying they are hard to come by... bull pucky,, I get an average of 5000 quills a week when I search for them. I also send them by mail to BC and Quebec,, then I deliver them to Ottawa as well. This year alone I have had more than a 100,000 quills that are perfect for using for quillers.

The thin ones as you put it are not for jewellery, only for basket makers and picture makers, the fat ones are the ones you want.

When using quills be sure of one thing in advance, they are POISONOUS!!! Ask any elder that has made baskets, why they are blind or nearly blind, the poison attacks the eyes. That is why dogs go crazy when they get quilled.
So do not soften them in your mouth the old way,,, only use warm water for that.
If there is any wild product you are searching for, I have just about everything from feathers to fur and bones and skulls. Everything needs a home and I collect for a lot of people up here. So if you need anything get in touch wioth me and we can barter as well. I am from Golden Lake Ontario and live just outside of the Pikwakanagan.

Where are you????

[email protected]

Old 06-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #48
Teen Dancer

marie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond reputemarie_popcan@hotmail has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibiki Kinew
Hi there. I am Tibiki Kinew, also Peter.

I read the thread you wrote on the quills, saying they are hard to come by... bull pucky,, I get an average of 5000 quills a week when I search for them. I also send them by mail to BC and Quebec,, then I deliver them to Ottawa as well. This year alone I have had more than a 100,000 quills that are perfect for using for quillers.

The thin ones as you put it are not for jewellery, only for basket makers and picture makers, the fat ones are the ones you want.

When using quills be sure of one thing in advance, they are POISONOUS!!! Ask any elder that has made baskets, why they are blind or nearly blind, the poison attacks the eyes. That is why dogs go crazy when they get quilled.
So do not soften them in your mouth the old way,,, only use warm water for that.
If there is any wild product you are searching for, I have just about everything from feathers to fur and bones and skulls. Everything needs a home and I collect for a lot of people up here. So if you need anything get in touch wioth me and we can barter as well. I am from Golden Lake Ontario and live just outside of the Pikwakanagan.

Where are you????

[email protected]
My mistake at my wording. Actually, it had been years since I had these quills and I had asked people if they knew where I could find them, then no one knew,Just told me to go up north.At the time I was very phobic at talking to anyone. Unable to walk any distance as I use to. Is the reason I am on the computer now. Quite a few people have helped me in speaking a whole lot better even if I cannot see them. Had a hard time even on the phone. This site is one of the locations did alot for me. First week I had received a bad rep. in here and didn`t know why and now I am alright with it. Thank-you for your information.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:27 AM   #49
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Try calling Iroqrafts and see if they carry quills.. I thought I saw some there...
IROQRAFTS
Tuscarora Road
RR#2..Ohsweken, Ontario, Canada N0A..1M0

Phone: (519) 445-0414
Fax (519) 445-0580

Tibiki... I believe the thing about the quills is it has a natural blood thinner in it, not a poison. Poison suggests venom and porcupines are'nt venomous. I remember someone from here I think saying that they had a chemical that thinned blood.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #50
Teen Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
Try calling Iroqrafts and see if they carry quills.. I thought I saw some there...
IROQRAFTS
Tuscarora Road
RR#2..Ohsweken, Ontario, Canada N0A..1M0

Phone: (519) 445-0414
Fax (519) 445-0580

Tibiki... I believe the thing about the quills is it has a natural blood thinner in it, not a poison. Poison suggests venom and porcupines are'nt venomous. I remember someone from here I think saying that they had a chemical that thinned blood.
Thanks Blackbear, I go to Ohsweken every month. I thought the poisonous thing was silly. Dogs or whatever that get hit with the quills would die if struck. yep, ah huh. In fact Six Nations is where I got my last batch of quills at the Powwow. Enjoy your day.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:40 AM   #51
Pow Wow Visitor

crazybuffalo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

I like this subject, But were can I order some good porky quills. I order from a store near me, and you have to buy them by the pound. But the quills are not that good, a lot of short quills. Any ideas?
crazybuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #52
Pow Wow Visitor

alajeen is a jewel in the rough
dying porky quills

excellent tutorial...

Last edited by alajeen; 01-26-2008 at 08:49 PM..
alajeen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #53
Tiny Tot Dancer

Ron S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond reputeRon S has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a link to a thread I started concerning the question of quills being poisonous.

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/gen...poisonous.html
Old 07-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #54
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Here is a link to a thread I started concerning the question of quills being poisonous.

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/gen...poisonous.html
So considering how this is turning out to be a bad joke, see my reply on that thread!
Playing with your eyes and not respecting them is too easy, once you are blind, it will be toooooo late!

my tears cry to all!~

Old 07-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #55
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibiki Kinew View Post
So considering how this is turning out to be a bad joke, see my reply on that thread!
Playing with your eyes and not respecting them is too easy, once you are blind, it will be toooooo late!

my tears cry to all!~

Peter,
See my reply to you on that thread. No joke!
Ron
Old 08-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #56
B'zer

B'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Big Smoke Ontario, I'm not over the hill but I have been around the block.
Quilling

Hi all, I am enjoying the input here and would like to add.

Something I have found when cutting the barb end off the quill when ready to use, is the piece flies off in all directions.

So how I corrected this is, I will put the tip into the bowl of water I'm using for softening and cut. The barb is safely contained within.

Hope this is of some help to those with pets and little people.

B'zer
B'zer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #57
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
Location: somewhere between chicago and DC, what day is it again?
Credits: 7,179.68
i had to start cutting barbs outside because of that. the only reason my dog stopped getting them in his nose was because we moved. i dont know how, but he always finds them where ever they land. good one for cutting the barbs is i snagged a pair of the trimmers my wife uses for trimming the cats claws.theyre nice and small and have a neat little crook on the shear part that does a clean job of cutting the barb

I know the voices arent real
but man, they have some great ideas
FluteMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #58
B'zer

B'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond reputeB'zer has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Big Smoke Ontario, I'm not over the hill but I have been around the block.
"Tip of the Quill"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluteMaker View Post
i had to start cutting barbs outside because of that. the only reason my dog stopped getting them in his nose was because we moved. i dont know how, but he always finds them where ever they land. good one for cutting the barbs is i snagged a pair of the trimmers my wife uses for trimming the cats claws.theyre nice and small and have a neat little crook on the shear part that does a clean job of cutting the barb

Good Day FluteMaker.
We had a dog and a cat and I, had to be reminded each time as I brought the quills out.
I had come across a couple of dogs on the road one day that had met the Tail. I tried to help momentarily but, they're were not my responsability.

Stupid Dogs!! They'll just go back for more. Still, not a pretty sight.

So now there is no dog or cat but I still cut them this way.
Old habits are hard to break.

B'zer
Old 08-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #59
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
my attempt

Here is one of my attempts at quilling. Of course, I never start with anything easy. I chose a rosette rather than something with straight lines...
Anyhow, its not very even and there are spaces between quills in some spots but overall not too bad for a beginner.

Any suggestions on how to make things more even and smooth?

Also, I am using a thin cotton thread for anchoring. Should I be using something thicker?

[IMG][/IMG]
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2007, 10:08 PM   #60
B'zer

Quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechy View Post
Here is one of my attempts at quilling. Of course, I never start with anything easy. I chose a rosette rather than something with straight lines...
Anyhow, its not very even and there are spaces between quills in some spots but overall not too bad for a beginner.

Any suggestions on how to make things more even and smooth?

Also, I am using a thin cotton thread for anchoring. Should I be using something thicker?

[IMG][/IMG]
Heya Czechy, I have to say, you're on your way to becoming a quiller.
My quilling skills go no further than wrapping, beading is my preference.

I can see by the crowding of the quills on the top of your work, is the cause of the spaces on the bottom, also causing the bottom quills to lean to the right.
This can also happen when crowding beads.

If this is a piece for a particular project my sugestion would be, if you haven't progressed further....undo these quills and start again and don't go through the same needle holes or you will just end up with the same results.

The reason I say this....you have a lot of work ahead and I'm sure by the time you finish, your skills will have improved and the mistakes will just diminish you hard work. The eye will always go to the mistake.Trust me. But if this is just a practice piece then carry on.

You know the technique, so just take your time, don't rush and don't crowd.

Answering you question on thread. It should be okay if you are waxing it. If the rosette is going on another article the threads on the backside should be protected from wear.

Hope I wasn't to hard on you Czechy, and good luck.

B'zer