Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork new quill work thread... new quill work thread...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #61
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
Location: somewhere between chicago and DC, what day is it again?
Credits: 7,179.68
Savings: 1.00
for smoothing the quills ive been told to burnesh them down with the back side of a spoon.

I know the voices arent real
but man, they have some great ideas
FluteMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2007, 10:06 AM   #62
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
Savings: 0.00
Thanks for the input. Yeah, this is merely a practice piece.

The crowding problem was one I also had when learning beadwork. It took me a while to get over that tendency.
I think some of the unevenness in my quilling stems from the fact that its difficult to get the quill to bend exactly where I want it to. Any tips on that?
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #63
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
hehehe.... the needle, grasshopper, the needle is the secret.
i used the needle to hold down on the stitched end of the quill, and manuvered the free end to right where it needed to be for the next stich. and then i put a finger on the quill where i had folded it over the needle ,pull the needle back and creased it. not easy for me useing big hands to do such small work but i get it done

Old 04-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #64
Tiny Tot Dancer

Lyricsdad is a name known to all
Credits: 0.00
whew been busy!

very busy, in fact almost done w/ this semester of classes i think we have like 5 weeks left..
anyhow, I have been working on a few projects. I have been taking the "Traditional Lakota Arts II" class and here is a project I have been working on, it is a "strike-a-light" bag, it is beaded and when finished quilled. It is constructed with a brain-tanned buckskin that a friend "traded" me. Actually I let him borrow my automotive trouble code reader, and a few tools to work on his toyota.

Anyhow here is a pic of the progress I have done.

okay here's a photobucket link..
Photobucket

Last edited by Lyricsdad; 04-08-2008 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: i think the flickr link don't work.. lmao
Lyricsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #65
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluteMaker View Post
for smoothing the quills ive been told to burnesh them down with the back side of a spoon.
Kwey Kwey all! Well as a tool I use a piece of deer antler that I put on a bench grinder and shaped to a curved flat surface on one side and a sharp creasing tool on the other end. It has been in use for many years.
Folding quills gets easier with this and stops the movement of quills too!

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #66
Tiny Tot Dancer

another line...

put another line here.. my next one will be yellow.. maybe with white either diamond in there or dual color zig zag.. i am not to sure yet..

Photobucket
Old 06-12-2008, 01:01 AM   #67
silver-turtle

Hey it's been a long time since you gave me advice on quill work I was off line for a while and came across my question and your answer for me it helped alot. I back with POW WOW.com under silver turtle. the old one was sugarcrm. well also have a question I'm trying to learn how to wrap and try to apply to leather cant find any decent books want to make small projects earrings and such any help?
thanks again.
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #68
Tiny Tot Dancer

Yeah books for quillwork can actually be kind of confusing. But.. I do have somewhat of a solution. I do have some books, I'll look through them, maybe scan them or photograph them and upload some of the basics here.. I have a bad memory.. lmao so you may have to PM me or remind me. Anyways, the best thing is to find someone who knows how to do quillwork, and sit down with them and learn the whole thing.

I learned from pulling quills of the porcupine, washing them, rinsing, dying them, sorting them, etc.. to how to wrap, how to embroider them.. etc.

Once you learn the basics, you will appreciated it more I think.

But all in all nothing replaces someone actually teaching you what they learned. It makes the experience alot smoother and also questions can be answered right then and there.

Too bad your not back in South Dakota, or I could show you myself, or in fact get you in touch with my Instructor, who has no problem at all passing down this fine art.

All in all good luck! I need to start getting to work on my next quill project. Just have to gather some quills.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #69
SHOPACHE

shadeznbraidz has a brilliant futureshadeznbraidz has a brilliant futureshadeznbraidz has a brilliant futureshadeznbraidz has a brilliant futureshadeznbraidz has a brilliant futureshadeznbraidz has a brilliant futureshadeznbraidz has a brilliant futureshadeznbraidz has a brilliant future
Keep pressing them regularly until they're dry. Or put them in a press. A large book over a couple layers of flannel works great.
shadeznbraidz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #70
silver-turtle

Thanks for the help, I'll keep on keeping on! ouch oh that was a quill LOL, anyway I appreciate you and everyone here your all like extended family to me when every I need help someone always steps into the arena so to speak.
Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #71
silver-turtle

Quill Pressing

I discovered something new hope it might help someone, after soaking the quills take them out of the water line a small bunch up little space between them hit them with a hot steam iron for a bit this helps burnishing a little easy then them I line them up with a little space between about 5 - 8 inchs long and cover with a bandana then put the iron to it with high stem then swicth to non steam repeat this process until you get the desired effect you want.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #72
Asmajol

I have dabbled only a bit in quillwork.

In Ohio There are not many Porkys

SO I am constantly on the lookout for sellers or natural and dyed quills.

I love working with them!!!

Last edited by Asmajol; 06-28-2008 at 10:22 AM..
Old 06-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #73
Thinkin' Fancy thoughts

beeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond repute
beeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond repute
Hey, thankya for this. Only have made earrings and necklace so far, but would like to try stitching.
Relate to ouch! Always seem to leave a couple unsnipped ones on the floor. But there's something neat about quills that makes that pain not matter.
beeleaf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #74
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
OHO!!! Gotta try this one!

(the iron method, I mean)

Last edited by wyo_rose; 07-07-2008 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: clarification
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #75
gramma de

gramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond repute
this is very nice,it just takes practice to make it be straight and you have a very nice blue.keep going, my grand daughter is 9 and she does good quillwork.She helps me pull quills and we just take them out by the hand. Today is a good cool day and in North Dakota the porcupines are moving alot in the fall. Now and during the winter the porcupines quills are best because the are storing fat for the winter.Its so fun to read about the interest, I only take the quills from the back or the sides, others are too small for my use.
gramma de is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #76
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 29,821.96
Neat thread!!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #77
Asmajol

Wakeda.com Natural & Dyed Porcupine Quills

Wakeda.com
The place to buy Colored Quills!
$4.50 for 1/4 oz.
they come in small plastic tubs like you would get at grocery deli
Great Color Variety and Colors are true to pictures

Im very happy with the order i recieved and wanted to share the Connection!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #78
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmajol View Post
Wakeda.com Natural & Dyed Porcupine Quills

Wakeda.com
The place to buy Colored Quills!
$4.50 for 1/4 oz.
they come in small plastic tubs like you would get at grocery deli
Great Color Variety and Colors are true to pictures

Im very happy with the order i recieved and wanted to share the Connection!

cool deal. the beads dont look too bad either.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #79
Pow Wow Visitor

BlueRose is an unknown quantity at this point
helpful information

Thanks for all the tips and questions from everyone... My sister and I are going to attempt quilling for the first time this weekend and I'll be sure to share the information from here.

Chi-Mii'gwetch
BlueRose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #80
Video Recorder

LisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond reputeLisaMOOSE07 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,632.87
Don't know what to do

Hey does anyone still read this thread? My grandmother gave me some quills, I have never worked with them before, whats the best thing to make as a beginner?