Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork new quill work thread... new quill work thread...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 03:35 AM   #81
macie

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
macie is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs up I just read the whole thing! Wow!

What a lot of information. I have always been intrigued by porcupine quills.
I recently found a book. It was all over after that. I haven't tried the woven quillwork, yet, although that was my original intention. I have been making jewelry, earrings and necklaces. I got a little sidetracked. I wanted to wear the quills, but couldn't find any designs that I liked, so I made up my own.
I hope everyone keeps this thread going. I will definitely be a regular.
macie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #82
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMOOSE07 View Post
Hey does anyone still read this thread? My grandmother gave me some quills, I have never worked with them before, whats the best thing to make as a beginner?

As a beginner: Porcupine earrings!

Actually you could get some medicine wheels blanks, or something similar and wrap them with the quills. I've seen earrings made with wrapped THIN pieces of rawhide in different shapes - trapezoids or long strips made into hoops.

Doing flat work isn't that hard.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #83
macie

Smile Yea earrings

About 20 years ago I had to shoot a porky. Too many vet bills at the ranch(ranchette) were I was working. I felt bad, so I got some quills and made earrings. I didn't know much then and slept in them a couple times, the quills broke and I felt terrible. I kept them all this time, and a lot of miles. Now I have lots of porky jewelry. I'll try and insert a picture of the necklace that I made. Modeled by my precious Jasmyn. It says I uploaded 3 files, as attatchments. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
dscn3025.jpg   earring-pics-075.jpg   earring-pics-20.jpg  
Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #84
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Wow, those are NICE!
Old 10-21-2010, 02:49 AM   #85
macie

Thank-you. I wanted to make something different.
I use only sterling silver posts and hooks, on my silver work, for the people that are allergic.
I just got done cleaning some quills, half done that is. They were really a mess.
I got some of the nicest quills I've ever had though. One of my friends moved to the Dakotas recently. She called me a day later all excited, She found rode kill (porky). I had been explaining, complaining, to her about some of the quills I bought not having the diameter I needed, and not being able to use half of them. She's not squeemish at all. She harvested a bunch of quills off that porky, put them in a tupperware, duct taped it up, and mailed them to me.
A big tupperware! I should have enough for a while now. After I get them cleaned and sorted that is.
I would like to see some of your work.
After the holidays I want to try doing the woven quill work.
Hopefully I will be able to sell some of my jewelry at the local Christmas bazaars.
If people had any clue how much work is involved with cleaning and sorting (and in your case, dyeing and weaving) those little buggers they would think the price for the finished product was dirt cheap.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #86
macie

Help

Hey I have a question. I noticed in the other posts that some people were talking about burnishing the quills. What does burnishing the quills mean, and how do you do it?
Thanks. Oh and why do you do it?
Thanks again
Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #87
Pow Wow Visitor

Elizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,195.47
Smile Where to get a porky hide.

I used to order porcupine hides from EIDNES FURS INC. The quills were perfect for embroidery and wrapping. One hide will keep you and 1 friend supplied with quills for a long time.

My mentor and I would pull the quills out by hand. But be careful, I spent too many hours in a row doing this and had kidney trouble from my zeal. I recommend stopping every 20 minutes or so and washing your hands and taking a break from handling the quills and hide.

I switched to beadwork when I was pregnant 14 years ago and have not gone back to quill work yet. It was easier not to have to deal with sharp quills around little children. :)
Elizabeth Costales is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #88
Pow Wow Visitor

Elizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond reputeElizabeth Costales has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,195.47
Quote:
Originally Posted by macie View Post
Thank-you. I wanted to make something different.
I use only sterling silver posts and hooks, on my silver work, for the people that are allergic.
I just got done cleaning some quills, half done that is. They were really a mess.
I got some of the nicest quills I've ever had though. One of my friends moved to the Dakotas recently. She called me a day later all excited, She found rode kill (porky). I had been explaining, complaining, to her about some of the quills I bought not having the diameter I needed, and not being able to use half of them. She's not squeemish at all. She harvested a bunch of quills off that porky, put them in a tupperware, duct taped it up, and mailed them to me.
A big tupperware! I should have enough for a while now. After I get them cleaned and sorted that is.
I would like to see some of your work.
After the holidays I want to try doing the woven quill work.
Hopefully I will be able to sell some of my jewelry at the local Christmas bazaars.
If people had any clue how much work is involved with cleaning and sorting (and in your case, dyeing and weaving) those little buggers they would think the price for the finished product was dirt cheap.
I agree with you. There is much work involved with cleaning the quills and working with them.
Elizabeth Costales is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #89
Junior Dancer

redroadbeadgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,776.38
Porky Quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibiki Kinew View Post
HEY there everyone, Ijust found a fast way of gettin the quills off of a porky,,, forceps that lock, they work great, but you need the big ones. I got a pair for removing hooks from fish and they work great to pick up rows of quills and just drop them in a bag. In the mean time since this posting I have piocked up more than a dozen killed porkies and removed all the quills and even went so far as to cut the paws off and am now ready to cut the claws free for making decorations. I have 8 big bags of quills for sale so far!!! The guard hair is in one zip lock bag and as soon as I get enough of them I will have a roach kit ready for real hair,,,no fake!

Forgive my interruption, I usually just absorb knowledge like a skinny little sponge (thanks to all of you, really, thank you) but I have really been itching to do some quill work lately and I noticed that you mentioned you had a buyer in the west. I live in New Mexico, would you be willing to ship this far? Also, I wanted to thank you for such an excellent post/thread. I'm learning so much.
redroadbeadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #90
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroadbeadgirl View Post
Forgive my interruption, I usually just absorb knowledge like a skinny little sponge (thanks to all of you, really, thank you) but I have really been itching to do some quill work lately and I noticed that you mentioned you had a buyer in the west. I live in New Mexico, would you be willing to ship this far? Also, I wanted to thank you for such an excellent post/thread. I'm learning so much.
I know that most stores where you buy quills have tiny bags that have about 14 gramms of quills for about 15 bucks, either side of the border. I don't do it that small. I buy a 2 liter plastic tupper ware container, about 2 quartz... and fill that to the max, so in comparison several hundred dollars worth when put into those tiny bags. I sell a container for 25.- now and add shipping to whatever place in the world you live. I have all sizes of quills and they are all ready to use. If you want to barter I am okay with that too,,, trade for goodies from your area.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #91
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibiki Kinew View Post
I know that most stores where you buy quills have tiny bags that have about 14 gramms of quills for about 15 bucks, either side of the border. I don't do it that small. I buy a 2 liter plastic tupper ware container, about 2 quartz... and fill that to the max, so in comparison several hundred dollars worth when put into those tiny bags. I sell a container for 25.- now and add shipping to whatever place in the world you live. I have all sizes of quills and they are all ready to use. If you want to barter I am okay with that too,,, trade for goodies from your area.
Thanks so much for replying to me. I can do either - payment or barter, or both if you like. A large amount of quills does not scare me! I have quite an extensive bead collection, including dentalium, all very high quality, no cheap plastic stuff. I prefer sead beads and I generally work in miniature, so a lot of my beads are tiny, size 15 or smaller, but I do have a huge amount of standard sizes too. If there is something in NM that you want and I can find it for you, let me know, I'll track it down. I live between the San Felipe Rez and Santa Ana Rez (just south of Santa Fe). Let me know.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #92
Junior Dancer

Still interested..

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroadbeadgirl View Post
Thanks so much for replying to me. I can do either - payment or barter, or both if you like. A large amount of quills does not scare me! I have quite an extensive bead collection, including dentalium, all very high quality, no cheap plastic stuff. I prefer sead beads and I generally work in miniature, so a lot of my beads are tiny, size 15 or smaller, but I do have a huge amount of standard sizes too. If there is something in NM that you want and I can find it for you, let me know, I'll track it down. I live between the San Felipe Rez and Santa Ana Rez (just south of Santa Fe). Let me know.
Just a Quick note to let you know that I'm still very interested in buying a large amount of quills from you if you're still interested in selling them (or trading) to me. I lost this thread and couldn't find it for a while, panicked and finally found it(!) I am so relieved.
Sponsored Links