Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork Rosette/Belt Buckle Rosette/Belt Buckle

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Signe is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Rosette/Belt Buckle

Hey Guys!

It's been a while....I've been busy with teaching & socializing. Otherwise, still beading. In fact, I've just been invited to be part of an exhibit at the Historical Museum in Pasadena (Rose Bowl Country), and I'm working out how I'm going to create my piece. I'll be starting with a belt, and then plan to loom a long piece which I'll sew on the base.

As for the buckle, I'm not sure what to do. I've read most of the posts pertaining to buckles & rosettes, but I'm not sure if I'm clear on a couple of things. First, do I have to have a metal backing? I want to do rosette, but I've only found oval metal blanks, not perfectly round. Then what do I sew the beads on? I've seen lap pad (supermarket?) & interfacing mentioned. I think I have interfacing, but it's a little thin, so I guess I could double it. Which ever one is better, I then use a hoop, right?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I just want to be sure before I buy something I don't need.

I might be asking more questions as I progress. This is going to be the biggest piece I have ever made & I'm a little nervous...

Thanks in advance,

Signe
Signe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Hmmm, where to start??? You do need a metal blank as a foundation cuz the buckle will take some amount of stress.

You can bead on lap pad, interfacing or whatever. I used to bead on brown paper (like grocery sacks) with notebook paper on the front to draw the design on. I wouldn't do that nowadays, but the buckles and barrettes I did this way are hanging in there over 10 years later.

I know a lady that just uses white glue to attach notebook paper to cloth and edges it with bias tape. It's not even canvas, just heavy cloth. If I was to do a nice piece for someone special I'd bead it on buckskin (braintan, of course). Use notebook paper for the design and brown paper behind it and baste them all together.

And a hoop??? If whatever you're beading on needs a hoop - double it again and skip the hoop. OR back it with brown paper.

As for the design, I've seen plenty of rosettes done on oval buckles, think I even did a couple myself. What I did was first to bead the border in a single row, applique stitched every 2 beads. Then start your rosette in the center. Once your rows start hitting the border just bounce off and do another row behind. Easy as pie.

And if you have trouble starting a rosette, put a metal spot in for the center and go from there. Good luck!!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Here's an example of a rosette done on an oval buckle blank.

Notice how on the second one, there's only rows of yellow designs on the sides where there's more room?
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
Ready to dance

Attached Images

Old 06-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #5
Ready to dance

Heck, I even did my rosette on a square blank!!
Old 06-29-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
Ready to dance

Another! I like this one!
Attached Thumbnails
rosettebuckle3.jpg  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
man.. all three of those are nice! i did a belt buckle , my first one ,just recently. I'd show it off but I'm entering it in the craft contest. It was alot of fun to make! I want to make some more!
Old 06-30-2005, 12:39 AM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Signe is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, Rose, for the tips. Maybe I'll try the interfacing w/brown paper.

As for the oval shape, if that's the closest I can get to round, well I'll have to make it work. My idea is to make it look like an inside of an orange (the exhibit's theme is the history of the citrus industry in California - interesting, huh?).

Maybe it can be an orange being squeezed.....

Thanks again. :)

Signe
Signe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2005, 03:52 PM   #9
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
like the inside of an orange... oh that's gonna be neat! Would you please post a pic when you are done? If you have it done in time you might want to enter it in the craft contest too!~
Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
Ready to dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signe

Maybe it can be an orange being squeezed.....
I can see it now! Drips and seeds popping out!
Old 07-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #11
Junior Dancer

Mezzobean has a spectacular aura about
wyo rose - those buckles are beautiful! How do you attach them to the metal buckle blanks - glue?
Mezzobean is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #12
Honey Connoissuer

Hey I posted my belt buckle in the gallery in the craft contest beading section.. forgot to save a link to post here. my apologize.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #13
Ready to dance

Oh, I didn't MAKE those buckles Just found some examples of rosettes on non-round blanks in eBay, I think.

Anyway, when I DO attach the buckle to the blank I don't use glue. I've had to switch blanks on several buckles when the little hook thingy got stepped on and broke.

Just whip stitch your backing and the beaded part together, then edge stitch. CAKE!
Old 07-05-2005, 02:53 PM   #14
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose
Just whip stitch your backing and the beaded part together, then edge stitch. CAKE!
Ah! That makes perfect sense - I always hate to glue something that might break, too. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #15
Ready to dance

The blanks are really very sturdy, but sloppy me....I'm always just throwing my clothes on the floor when I take them off. So twice my buckle got stepped on and broke - once by myself.

Nowadays I'm much more careful and take my belt out of my pants and hang it up right away...then I throw my pants on the floor!
Old 07-06-2005, 12:19 PM   #16
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose
Nowadays I'm much more careful and take my belt out of my pants and hang it up right away...then I throw my pants on the floor!
HA! I have a wonderfully wild and crazy friend who says that she's continually amazed that all her clothes stay on the floor considering how often she forgets tro pay her gravity bill!
Sponsored Links