PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Beadwork (http://forums.powwows.com/f14/)
-   -   rosette problem (http://forums.powwows.com/f14/rosette-problem-67298/)

delila77 03-15-2013 11:11 AM

rosette problem

used a big rhinestone in the center of my beadwork and the beadwork is starting to cup effect. i know it's because my beadwork it too tight, is there a way to loosen or fix this problem besides the obvious of starting over again?

OLChemist 03-15-2013 11:24 AM

It's hard to assess without seeing and touching it. But if it isn't too bad and you can keep from pulling it tighter, you may be able to fix this by mounting the rosette on a really stiff background with good glue. Weight it down with a book while it dries.

docat 03-16-2013 06:42 PM

The good chemist has a nice solution.

If you decide not to do that, you might try shrinking the fabric beneath it with HOT HOT water and after dry, try a hot iron on the back of the work. I have shrunk fabric that way. Hopefully the thread also doesn't shrink. You run that risk.

Not knowing what you have for backing, I don't know if this solution will work for you or not. But it is another solution.

delila77 03-18-2013 12:56 PM

well i fixed the problem. sometimes bling bling isnt all that lol well ill get the hang of rhinestones.

basically what i did was i bent the stiffy felt/beadwork to when its flat and laid a heavy book on it. then i decided to back it with thin cardboard and stitched on my hide. then laid the book back down on it. it worked. made 1 hair tie. now finishing up the other and then making well a whole set.

docat 03-20-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delila77 (Post 1562093)
well i fixed the problem. sometimes bling bling isnt all that lol well ill get the hang of rhinestones.

basically what i did was i bent the stiffy felt/beadwork to when its flat and laid a heavy book on it. then i decided to back it with thin cardboard and stitched on my hide. then laid the book back down on it. it worked. made 1 hair tie. now finishing up the other and then making well a whole set.

Excellent news!

wyo_rose 03-20-2013 05:04 PM

Yes, your beadwork isn't too tight, whatever you're beading on isn't stiff enough.

And make sure you're not crowding your beads. If you have some that are sticking up out of place, wiggle them as high out of the beadwork as you can, then crush them with needlenose pliers, and pick out any broken bits.

Czechy 03-20-2013 05:20 PM

Yep, I agree with what has been said so far. Uneven beadwork will result from beading too tightly, crowding the beads and stitching too close to previously attached beads, and by using a foundation material that is not rigid enough.
Hope your fix takes care of it!