Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Broken Arrow
  • 3 Post By OLChemist
  • 2 Post By Broken Arrow
  • 1 Post By OLChemist
  • 2 Post By OLChemist
  • 1 Post By Broken Arrow
  • 2 Post By Broken Arrow

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork Small pouch or bag Small pouch or bag

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Signal Corps

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,703.74
Savings: 0.00
Small pouch or bag

Needed some distraction for good reason.

[IMG][/IMG]

It is a give away. For someone I know well and will go Edgewood, NM next year to EOT World Championship.
LISA IRONMAKER likes this.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 58,632.27
Nice. I like the design.

I'm going to make a few suggestions:

If you're beading this after you've sewn the bag together don't. Bead all but the area right by the seam. Then sewn and turn the bag. Bead over the seam.

Bead on the rough side. I can't tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like you're beading on the smooth side. You can get your needle in deeper on the rough side. Also the softness and flex lets your beads move a little, which can hide a not perfectly spaced stitch.

When beading, those little peaks of white hide, can be really disconcerting. It can make you want to cram your rows closer together. Resist! You're sitting directly above the work, you will see tiny gaps that aren't visible in the finished piece. Crowding is more visible.

A ruler and an Exacto knife are your friends when cutting fringe. I use a quilting ruler with a nice grid and clear surface to get even strips. If the leather shifts, cut on a scrap of plywood. The roughness of the wood will hold the hide and keep it from slipping.

Go look up work by: Rhonda Holy Bear, Juanita Growing Thunder Fogarty, Teri Greeves, Holly Young, Karen Beaver, Molly Murphy Adams, Richard Aitson... Study their work.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
Signal Corps

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Your suggestions are always welcome.

The piece was beaded before sewing. After sewing on the left side, it was turned inside out. Same as with medival shoes or mocassins. The seam is not beaded yet.

I think about a row of black beads from the bottom to the top on the side. In this way, it can be interpreted as a flag pole. Dark brown may be another choice.

It is a piece of remaining scrap leather of a not overly good hide I got for the asking. Hard to tell what the smooth side is. It is not brain tanned. Brain tanned hides are hard to get.

I'll try your suggested method with the wood. What is a good width for fringe? Suppose depending on the dimension of the piece himself. With the cones attached to the Fringe, may be 3 mm or 1/4 inch?

Sigh, Rhonda Holy Bear.com very, very good looking.
alumphfres and LISA IRONMAKER like this.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Old 10-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Is it double sueded? I can't really tell from the pics.

Your cones will make a prettier noise at the ends of the fringe.

https://www.powwows.com/attaching-metal-cones/

On something like that, I'd go 4-5mm for the width on the fringe.

If you're going for a southern plains look, you might want to twist your fringe. To do this, mist your fringe with water. Twist the damp fringe. Sometimes commercial hides want to untwist. Leave a little extra tab at the end, and clamp the fringe down with a clothes pin or some other non-marring thing until the leather dries. You can shape the tab or trim it off.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
I've had the pleasure of a few close up looks at Ms Holy Bear's work. She uses tiny antique beads - 16/0, 18/0, 20/0, 22/0 - for some of her dolls.

Those are hard to get and require lots of culling, because they can be quite irregular. I have a few kilos of the real antiques I use for fan handles. You throw a lot of beads away because they're lopsided or super thin. I have some 18/0 steel cuts that are thread manglers. Every 20th or so bead has a razor sharp burr that slices away.
LISA IRONMAKER and subeeds like this.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Signal Corps

It is not double sueded.

The difference between outside and inside isn't so much, to my eye but you are right, I beaded on the smoother side.

It would be much easier if I could hand you the leather to examine. What I can get is the so called German tanned buckskin. The quality can differ a lot.

If I remember right, this bag is made from a "scrap" piece which the tanner at black forest sold for 5€ a piece because he s aid that piece is unusable for clothing on sale.

Good enough for starters and bags for that purpose. Fired black powder cartridges can be very dirty and bp residue is quite clinging.

You gave me a good reason for a second bag of that design, this time with the cones at the end of the Fringe. There are enough brass cones left for a second bag.

Twisted fringe I am not sure that I would go for that.

Pst, the copper and tin cones are more to my liking than the brass ones.

I have never had a close look on old original beadwork. Only a look at more than arm length away and shielded by glass at the Karl May Museum.

Antique beads I know can be found in Germany but not easily and I do not have any. Even the modern Czech beads can have edges which wear on the thread and are not as uniform as one might think. At first I was once quite astonished that No. 9 black beads fit to No. 10 white, red, yellow and blue beads while No.10 black beads seems to fit more to No. 11 beads of other colors.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Old 10-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Maybe I misunderstand. Ms Holy Bear's work isn't old.

I've had a few chances to examine really old - sinew sewn - stuff. It was amazing what those ladies could do with an awl. I once saw a set of Cheyenne men's moccasins beaded in 18/0's on sinew! Someone really loved their son or husband to do that work.

Seed beads are made by using a machine to pull a glass tube. These tubes are cut into smaller cans. The canes are mixed with charcoal and plaster and fired polished to produce a round/oval shape. (Some of the glass formulations used to make the tubes are striking colors and don't reach their final color until the fire polishing.) The finished beads are cleaned, sorted and strung.

The tubes for the really old beads were pulled by two running men. Hence the irreproducibility in size.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
Signal Corps

Mrs. Holy Bears work is contemporary but doing such work with antique beads, great.

Yes, but be a great love. Seems like the same with hand sewn shirts of medieval times. The ladies could sew better by hand than most can do today with machines. You need a lot of practice and patience do do it in such quality.

When I look at the pictures within "Beauty, Honor, and Tradition The Legacy of Plains Indian Shirt's by Joseph D. and George P. Horse Capture" the ladies did marvellous work.
alumphfres and LISA IRONMAKER like this.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #9
Signal Corps

Second bag is almost complete. Photo just taken is not good. Next week, I show you. This time the cones are at the end of the fringe. They are like miniature bells.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
Signal Corps

Here we go:

Second Texas bag or puch:

[IMG][/IMG]

Now the cones jingle.

I am working on another bag or pouch but is not completed yet:

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

Last edited by Broken Arrow; 11-05-2018 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Adding forgotten line.
Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM   #11
Signal Corps

Bag completed.

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links